PDA

View Full Version : re using arp rod bolts???

SR-Rally
15-02-11, 05:23 PM
hopefully putting pistons back in my engine tonight. i'm just wondering if its ok to re use arp bolts. the ones i want to re use were bought about 7-8months ago and have done no more then 1200miles (in a rally car :s) i no it would be better if i bought new arp's but i have no money left at all at the moment :( so its either reuse arp's or reuse gm ones?

also what torque do i tighten them to? if i remember right its important not to over tighten.

Plug
15-02-11, 05:26 PM
i thought the whole point of ARP's is that there stronger and reusable??

GDN16v
15-02-11, 05:32 PM
For peace of mind i would buy a new set! ;)

AlexW
15-02-11, 05:36 PM
IIRC you can reuse them, Providing they are standard length, Unless you measured them before fitting or can get somebody to measure their un-fitted ones, Its hard to say.

You are meant to replace GM ones too, I think due to that I'd refit the ARP ones.

Rich
15-02-11, 05:48 PM
as long as they are still within tolerance they can be reused as many times as you like

R1CH
15-02-11, 06:49 PM
As said, only propper way to tell is to measure them, but to be honest i'd say they'll be absolutly fine. I wouldn't think twice about reusing them.

blue_peg_16v
15-02-11, 07:51 PM
can be reused as said

philip
15-02-11, 08:47 PM
reused bolts upto 3 times, after that i throw them out regardless. but if only been torqued down once id imagine they will be fine, but no harm measuring them.

btw what rods are they for?

stock xe iirc is something like 31ft lb, arp2000 on steel rods 45ft lb and arp8750(or might be 8740) are 50ft lb

SR-Rally
15-02-11, 09:43 PM
It's for a 1300 8v. Does anyone no the torque for one of them? Although it might not be a problem as I've just found out one of my pistons is cracked and I have rally in 4 days lol these things are sent to test us I guess :D

Southie
15-02-11, 09:57 PM
I've had a google for you, looking around it seems that you can reuse them as has been mentioned, personally though is it worth the risk of £65 or to have your engine rebuilt if it goes tits up, if you can afford to rally a car then you ain't that skint I assure you ;)

djbrowney
15-02-11, 10:21 PM
The point of arp's is the fact they are reusable :)

a friend of mine has used a set of arp head bolts and a commetic head gasket 7 times and its still going :)

Southie
15-02-11, 10:43 PM
Impressive stuff tbh. Would you say though a bottom end would be under more strain though?

Edit: OP I've been thinking your on about bottom end bolts, are you on about head bolts???

SR-Rally
16-02-11, 12:29 AM
I'm on about bottom end edd. To be honest it's more about time as rally is on Saturday and last time I ordered arp bolts I was told 2days and it took 2weeks :( im going to have to risk re using them for saturday but i have 2 weeks after that till next round so will probable remove engine and rebuild from scratch.

does anyone no what torque to tighten them to? Could do with knowing tonight :D

mk1nova_rich
16-02-11, 12:35 AM
I think the cracked piston is more of an issue to be honest lol can ARP not provide you with a torque setting...obviously that will have to be tomorrow at the earliest?!

SR-Rally
16-02-11, 01:35 AM
Cracked piston is solved. I have 3 engines that have same pistons, one of which has only ever really been run in so nicked piston and rod out of that. Hardest bit was balancing it to the other 3pistons and rods as it's balanced / lightened bottom end But got it bang on and only had to take little bit off big end cap.

Think I'm going to have to wait till tomorrow and phone arp as you say.

Thanks for all the help so far guys

R1CH
16-02-11, 08:40 PM

blue_peg_16v
16-02-11, 08:47 PM
must admit i have reused head bolts on an xe before when i couldnt source any quick never had a problem with it just gave em an extra 90 degrees, (i needed it on the road head gasket had gone had one in the garage but no were to get bolts) and they were standard bolts not arp

C612DNM
17-02-11, 12:36 AM
I used ARP bolts in my 1300 race engine. And I used the torque settings in the Haynes manuel. Eees no problem.

Re-use re-use re-use...... but yes, measure. The torque that is used on a rod bolt is highly unlikely to stretch a bolt of that type/material much.