PDA

View Full Version : Car issues, need advise

CalvinR
13-02-11, 09:19 PM
I was driving on the m5 for about 20miles and my car seemed chocked up

After feeling that that something wasn't right I accelerated to a brisk 70mph and my foot was to the floor and it wouldn't pick up speed, I then let it settle at 70mph and it seemed dead and non-reactive, my nova is a 1.4sr and drives at a brisk 70mph easily and has a lot of go still.

It then started to slow down, changing down the gears, I couldn't accelerate, i put my foot to the floor and up and back once but tna, it then died on the hard shoulder, I tried to start it then tna.

Left it 10minutes and it started fine and picked up speed fine, pulled into some services and it idled fine.

I drove home but it wasn't right, it seemed to be chocking up again and I had to keep it moving at a briskly 70mph and got home but its not write.

Any idea? Carb issue?

I have a early xr2 carb 32/34 dft 4 b, could this be swapped on if that's the case?

Any advise would be great

NOVA_LEE
13-02-11, 09:37 PM
mine has started doin the same thing, its like somethings restricting it, went me mates today an disconected some sensor to the water temp sensor an it started working sound as a pound:thumb:

MK999
13-02-11, 09:38 PM
mine has started doin the same thing, its like somethings restricting it, went me mates today an disconected some sensor to the water temp sensor an it started working sound as a pound:thumb:

I don't think his carb has a sensor issue :p Try checking the jets for blockages.

Southie
13-02-11, 09:40 PM
Maybe your jets are blocked or your timing is out, also what fuel are you running and when did you last change the plugs?

Edit: Mark arrrrrrr :p

CalvinR
13-02-11, 09:51 PM
Im running Energy Supreme UL 97 from Esso, always have done.

Plugs changed about 4months ago.

Timming only advances about 4-5degrees at about 4000rpm? Dizzy was replaced about 3months ago as vacuum went on the other one

Southie
13-02-11, 10:11 PM
Have you got a fuel filter on, could be blocked.

mowgli
13-02-11, 10:16 PM
sounds to me like it could be overheating..

Paul
13-02-11, 10:28 PM
Carb freezing?

Stuart
13-02-11, 10:32 PM
Carb freezing?

imho, not in this day and age with poncey fuels.

I'd say this is a classic Auto choke issue

CalvinR
13-02-11, 10:36 PM
imho, not in this day and age with poncey fuels.

I'd say this is a classic Auto choke issue

Could be the auto choke is utter cr*p, I don't no much about the auto choke but in the passed ive had it basically jam up on me, Oil temp was at 91c and water temp was ok as well.

Any advise on what to check on on it what it should be like