PDA

View Full Version : tap tap noise

tommy8252
13-02-11, 07:57 PM
Right my engine has developed a tap and I can't find what it is. It's a tap tap tap noise when the engine is held at around 3000 revs similar sound to the injecters but louder and more metallic. Engine is an e16se with port polished head and lent cam. No wear on the cam and I've ran an forte oil flush through it and replaced the oil and filter but this hasn't made a difference suggesting it isn't noisy tappets or contaminated oil. I'm fearing it may be the little end bearings but want to check anything else it could be out before stripping the engine right down/replacing the bottom end. Anyone hot any suggestions maybe common faults with this engine etc. Unsure of mileage on the engine. Also put a new timing belt on the other week so its definately timed up right.

MK999
13-02-11, 07:58 PM
did you put a new tensioner on with the belt?

tommy8252
13-02-11, 09:09 PM
Yeah new tensioner

MK999
13-02-11, 09:13 PM
Might be worth taking the cambelt cover off and having a look at it while its running, as the tensioners on those wobble a bit when they're running, they're simply sprung and don't have any bolts to lock in place, it might need a tweak on the waterpump to have it sitting right and not clicking against it's max/min limits.

Just don't poke your fingers in there lol

tommy8252
13-02-11, 09:19 PM
Cheers will try that as didn't adjust the water pump when I did the belt

MK999
13-02-11, 09:29 PM
You need to spin the water pump so the belt is tensioned to the mark on the tensioner, should have an "OK" line and a "min" and "max"

autograss_racer
14-02-11, 11:53 PM
It's either the tensioner or Bloody Greta Garbo....