PDA

View Full Version : Bike Carb questions.

MK1_Ben
13-02-11, 07:39 PM
Looking at fitting them on my Nova, I'm aware it won't give any decent gains on a 1.2 but it's more of a "because I can" thing :).

As the car is carb, would I still need the Cav dizzy and appropriate bike fuel pump? or would the standard jobbies work.

In regards to the throttle and choke cables is this a case of getting a new one of the correct size made up and it being a straight fit?

Angle of the Carbs, I've seen 2 sides to the discussion of what angle they should be at, quite alot are running at 33 degrees (or similar), but I've seen probably just as many people running them horizontally with no problems, any set in stone facts about this?

Because it's only a 1.2 I'm guessing it will need to be jetted down alot, anyone know what Jets I would need?

mk1nova_rich
13-02-11, 07:44 PM
Standard dizzy and pump are fine, although it may be worthwhile fitting a fuel regulator in between the pump and carbs :) you can get a 1-5psi dial type regulator for about £23.

The angle the carbs sits is determined by keeping the float bowl level, I had a play about with some Fireblade carbs and the correct angle for them was about 27 degrees...

They would almost definitely need re-jetting. I tried mine on a 1300 and it pretty much poured petrol straight into the engine :( the choke and throttle cables are a case of seeing how the standard ones fit and modifying/changing as necessary.

Hope this helps :)

MK1_Ben
13-02-11, 07:46 PM
Knowing that the standard pump and dizzy are fine is good :), I probably have a spare regulator somewhere.

In regards to re-jetting and tuning, there's a guy local to me who's very good with them (converted a friends 106 Rallye to bike carbs), they would be able to setup the jetting and tune for a 1.2

Manifold is going to be a homebrew job, so I'll need to do some research on the correct angles :)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mk1nova_rich again.

mk1nova_rich
13-02-11, 07:52 PM
IIRC the standard pump gives around 7psi but ideally it wants to be between 2.5-3.5psi for the carbs. You can use an electric pump if you wish but creating unnecessary work.

Just been looking through PC Files but can't find any pics which would help... look at the carbs you have and the float bowls (on the bottom of the carbs) will more than likely unscrew from the carb bodies. Don't unscrew them but the line between the body and the float bowl should be level when they are fitted.

Balley
14-02-11, 09:01 PM
ZX9-R carbs want to be at 29 degrees ..
Get a reg or it will flood... I would rather use a bike pump though as it will cut out at around 3psi IIRC

We had 1.5mm jets for our pinto if thats any help..

Southie
14-02-11, 09:09 PM
Pm Tom Reid he'll be able to help out with info.

Tom I want commission lol

tom reid
14-02-11, 09:33 PM
Pm Tom Reid he'll be able to help out with info.

Tom I want commission lol

You'll get a valentine's kiss n hug and like it:p

Don't get too hung up on the angle of the carbs, think of this, what angle are the carbs at when an R1 is up on it's back wheel, my own experiments with accute angles bears this out.
Jet sizes, on R1's I'd start at about 160.
1.5mm on a Pinto seems a wee bit weak IMHO, bearing in mind they were not a lean burn engine.

Southie
14-02-11, 09:37 PM
mmmmmmmmm snuggling love lol

Balley
14-02-11, 09:41 PM
You'll get a valentine's kiss n hug and like it:p

Don't get too hung up on the angle of the carbs, think of this, what angle are the carbs at when an R1 is up on it's back wheel, my own experiments with accute angles bears this out.
Jet sizes, on R1's I'd start at about 160.
1.5mm on a Pinto seems a wee bit weak IMHO, bearing in mind they were not a lean burn engine.

She requires setting up, has only done around 10 miles since fitted

tom reid
14-02-11, 10:03 PM
Get some pics up please

MattBrown
14-02-11, 10:49 PM
Blinkers*

CBR250 carbs?

VFR 400 carbs?

They will suit a 1200 nova engine better.

But I would save your coins, and get a 1600 gte lump to bile carb.

Insuance is crazy when you say engine tuning lo

MK1_Ben
14-02-11, 11:04 PM
Insuance is crazy when you say engine tuning lo

Aforementioned modifications, as well as an Omex limiter will increase my premium by £40 a year ;)

Danny s-p
15-02-11, 12:13 AM
Sorry To But In But Can I Run A Carb Loom On A E16se With Bike Carbs Or Do I Need To Run The Cav Set Up