PDA

View Full Version : removing door bash protectors?

Nova_Ro
13-02-11, 10:33 AM
im thinking of removing the grey stips that go around the car, one on each rear door, front door and a small bit on the front wing.
i wasnt sure if they are just simply stuck on or have some silly clips that vauxhall used to make the life easyer lining them up?
also whats everyones veiws on keeping them or taking them off?
its a 5 door so im not sure.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb353/rowanhenson/the%20nova/IMAG0287.jpg

mowgli
13-02-11, 10:38 AM
trying to remove the small metal rivets from the door will be a lot of work

General Baxter
13-02-11, 10:39 AM
its a mk2, they will be stuck on :)

mowgli
13-02-11, 10:41 AM
ok, pull them off & sort out the odd rust bubbly & stuck on glue then

Nova_Ro
13-02-11, 10:48 AM
if its just glue its not a problem, i can sit there an pollish it out without many problems, just want to make sure it wont be little rivits as mowgli said as that will mean paint work :/ which if i could i would rather wait to do for the summer where im planning to strip any rust bubbles away and smooth it all out again

L14MNP
13-02-11, 12:33 PM
Will be stuck on. I'd be more concerened about paint fade/damaging the paint when removing them. As it looks standard, minus wheels I would leave them.

Jack
13-02-11, 12:48 PM
Heat gun, plastic scraper, toffee wheel to remove the remaining glue. Good cut n polish afterwards to match up the paint.

I didn't have any problem with difference in colour on my old hatchback when I removed the strips, and that was on a red car.

Nova_Ro
13-02-11, 02:14 PM
Will be stuck on. I'd be more concerened about paint fade/damaging the paint when removing them. As it looks standard, minus wheels I would leave them.
yes wheels are soon to be change, and stance of the car, been treating the bumpers too, to bring them back to life but im not not a fan of the strips myself and if i can get them off i would!