PDA

View Full Version : help f28 shafts don't fit

jack8545
12-02-11, 09:43 PM
A question for people running a f28 gearbox, iv removed my old box (crunching gears and diff whining) with no problems.

Put the new gearbox in today, no major hassle until putting the drive shafts in. When trying to put the lower ball joint into the hub it is very tight as in i cant push the hub in enough, offside is only a few mm out but nearside is about 10mm away.

I could force them in but i think it would cause problems when the cars back on the ground as the shafts are at the end of there travel when its up on the stands so when the suspension drops its going to be trying to force the shafts into the gearbox. Possibly the original cause of the whining diff.

Has anyone had this problem before, do i have the wrong shafts first thought was the shafts are too long but I'm using the same shafts that were fitted to the old box.

any help or info appreciated, apologies for the long post.

Paul
12-02-11, 10:16 PM
If they come out then they will go back in.

Rich
12-02-11, 10:18 PM
are they all the way into the box? if you turn them as you push them in will help slot in fully.

jack8545
12-02-11, 10:50 PM
are they all the way into the box? if you turn them as you push them in will help slot in fully.

shafts are all way in, even took them out and tried them in the old gearbox, does a f20 use different shafts to a f28?

Rich
12-02-11, 11:30 PM
nope will be the same fit

joints not broken is it? inside the boot

jack8545
13-02-11, 10:04 AM
CV joints are OK they were checked when i replaced the boots.

There is a spacer between the tie bar and ball joint, could i have these the wrong way round? iv got the tie bar at the bottom then the spacers then the ball joint on top of the spacers then the tca at the top.

that's the order it was in when i took them off and i also looked at a pic on here of another one, which is the same order.

General Baxter
13-02-11, 10:06 AM
dumb question, you have fitted the 2wd kit to the new box?

jack8545
13-02-11, 10:20 AM
new box was already converted to 2wd but it was in a mk3 Astra, would that make a difference?