PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE will start, wont start! / cuts out!

Mboasty
11-02-11, 12:13 AM
hi,
My nova GTE seam to be developing an intermittent problem, it keeps cutting out, once when i was driving to work, & it wont start again, then later on it will start & run fine! ive tryed at least 3 diffrent fpr's one of which is off my other nova, so known to be working properly, but its still cutting out/ wont start, obvoisly this could be all mannor of problems, its just a case of finding the fault, anyone got any sugestions of where to go from here?

thanks in advance

matt

MK999
11-02-11, 12:15 AM
is it a time related thing? I.E does it cut out after roughly the same amount of time, then take a while to come back to life?

nova_saloon
11-02-11, 12:26 AM
Hall effect switch causes them problems, and is common (its a piece of crap them things!)

Mboasty
11-02-11, 12:27 AM
no, its seams to be totaly random, ranging from cutting out while driving then not starting, not starting in the morning then starting later, starting then cutting out 10 seconds later, working fine for 3 days then not working!
random and anoying!

MK999
11-02-11, 12:28 AM
Sounds electrical and non heat related then. Sensors are a good start.

C612DNM
11-02-11, 05:19 AM
Also - check fuel pump relay and wiring around it.

phunkynova
11-02-11, 10:52 AM
Could also be crap in your fuel filter as it will move about some times blocking some times not in the way.

Mazz
11-02-11, 10:55 AM
Sounds like mine many moons ago, in the end it was a crappy spade connection on the fuel pump which stopped it pumping fuel..

S1 RST
11-02-11, 04:13 PM
Fuel Pump relay common fault

Mboasty
13-02-11, 02:39 AM
ive elimnilated the fpr, its defo not that, as ive tryed 3 diffrent fpr's one of which is of my
other nova, so known to be working, fuel pump seams to be working as i can hear it woring away, im gonna check all wiring, change fuel filter, check for spark, see if that
makes any diffrence. Stupid question, where's the hall effect sensor located?

Matt

w88rdy
13-02-11, 06:54 AM
on the dizzy pal i think

Mboasty
13-02-11, 09:45 PM
update,
today ive changed the fuel filter, the old one was doing its job, but the fuel that come out of it was brown! very dirty, think im gonna have to change the fuel tank at some point. found a dodgy wire on the coil, it has been rejoined at some point due to a previous imboliser or somthing, there was about 3 strands still atached! suprised its started at all. looks like i need a new dizzy cap aswell, so i think its service time! cleened out the erg valve, haynes recomend regluar cleaning out of this, i think on this one it was its first cleen out ever! the emount of carbon build up was unbelivble. cleened most of the eletrical cionections with contact cleaner aswell.
i'll see how i get on tommrow it hasent not started since all the above has been done.

matt

autoworksnovasport
13-02-11, 09:48 PM
crank sensor if its doing it when warm