PDA

View Full Version : Smoke/steam coming from crank case breather and oil cap If open. Cause?

SR-Rally
10-02-11, 12:35 AM
Just finished rebuilding my engine. First problem is it's miss firing on 1 and 4 I think this is because the way the inlet manifold has been made for single 45 carb as it is getting spark. All the fuel mixture is going into 2 and 3. That's not my biggest problem as I can stick weber 32/34 on for now.

Biggest problem is there is alot of smoke coming from the crank case breather. I think it is water based as doesnt stay around long and when I put glass to it it turns to water. On the glass with slightest bit of oil. The engine has good compression on all 4 cylinders. What could be the problem?

Any help appreciated, if anymore info needed to help let me know.

Thanks

SR-Rally
10-02-11, 12:37 AM
It's a 1300 8v engine by the way

brownbear
10-02-11, 01:16 AM
Freshly rebuilt and kicking out any water inside the engine. I'm going to say.
Any freshly built engine will kick out loads of water vapour for a wee while.

SR-Rally
10-02-11, 08:28 AM
That sounds better then a dead engine :) it is kicking out a stupid amount and seems to be getting worse not less. Is there a way of clearing the engine to then see if that is the problem? As it's not loosing water so makes sense

db_1.2
10-02-11, 08:59 AM
Its not pressure getting past the pistons is it? Probably wouldn't hurt to do a compression test. If that's alright and your not losing water, I wouldn't worry about it. Just stick a catch tank in there.

SR-Rally
10-02-11, 09:09 AM
Compression is very good on all 4.

I say it isn't loosing water but I've only had it running for around 20-30mins and water level doesn't seem to be getting anylower. Could there be a small crack in water lines inside the engine? I would have thought it would loose alot of water from that though?

Its to much to leave I think. It literally fills the garage in seconds so you can hardly see.

db_1.2
10-02-11, 04:01 PM
I don't know really, sorry couldn't be of more assistance. I'm sure someone on here will know