PDA

View Full Version : Storing a car temporally

Connor
08-02-11, 12:34 PM
Okay didnt know what section to put this in so thought mechanical would do.
Basically my issue is, my car has tax and test and i am also insured, only problem being is that i have no money for petrol and and have no need to use it (im at uni and everything is walking distance from my halls)
So was going to put a final tenner in it just to start it up occasionally.
The car is staying insured as i only got a couple of months left to bring my ncb upto 2 years and its already payed for anyways.
My question is,
roughly, how often should i be starting it?
Should i be disconnecting the battery when its sitting there?

And any other tips.

I know it may sound like overkill, but i dont want to be killing my battery or doing damage to the car with it sitting there

maddogdaz666
08-02-11, 04:13 PM
id probably do it every 3 - 4 days ish, at least once a week, and just take it round the block too if possible,

bazil
08-02-11, 04:21 PM
dont leave the handbrake on, dont wash it before parking it up if its cold ( brother done this and his rear brakes seized ) disconnect the battery earth, etc etc

Connor
08-02-11, 04:33 PM
Cheers guys, just i have never really had a car i havent usesd lol.
Use mine everyday pretty much. I will go start it up later then give it a run, then come back and disconnect the battery till i start it next

bazil
08-02-11, 04:34 PM
when you go out try not to use any electrical things like light/heaters so to keep the cc amps good, park it in gear with the a wheel chocked too, it'll be all good.

draper
08-02-11, 05:31 PM
bring it to mine, ill look after it for you and store it on my drive ;)

Connor
08-02-11, 05:44 PM
Yea thats what i was going to do bazil.
And yea bet you will look after it draper lol ;)

Ron
08-02-11, 11:03 PM
i would say to drive it for a few mile every couple week instead of just starting is stopping and starting isnt alway good as said handbrake off and dont wash it

Jack
08-02-11, 11:31 PM
I'd go with the driving it thing too. Starting it up, letting it get halfway warm then stopping it never seems like it would do a lot of good IMO.

Handbrake off, battery d/c'ed (even removed if the weather turns cold), parked in gear or with wheels chocked etc.

Connor
08-02-11, 11:33 PM
What i was thinking is, disconnect the battery and every week or two,
start it up, take it for a spin (3-5miles) then park up for another couple of weeks.

AlexW
08-02-11, 11:42 PM
Would be fine as long as it gets a bit of a warm up and a bit of hard braking to stop the discs from rusting and getting badly pitted.

How long you not using it for?

Connor
09-02-11, 03:58 PM
It wont be used regularly until april, which is when my next student loan payment comes in :cry:

MK999
09-02-11, 04:09 PM
It wont be used regularly until april, which is when my next student loan payment comes in :cry:

Bull**** isn't it! Get a payment in september, then nearly february, and then april and finish like 4 weeks later, works out as about £75 a week til feb, £100 a week til april then £300 a week at the end of the year lol

Jack
09-02-11, 04:18 PM
LOL reminds me of my ex. When she first went to uni, she calculated how much she could spend each week of her student loan/grants. When she was lamenting about how little she had to spend, I did suggest getting a job... that didn't go down too well lol

Connor
09-02-11, 04:21 PM
Yea i know, i got £700 in january to last me till april, i dont get any bursaries or any extra income allowance as i go to a uni that isnt local to me lol :wtf:
I now have just under £120 to last me till april, i make that a weekly allowance of fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
http://questionabletopic.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/suicide.jpg

Connor
09-02-11, 04:24 PM
And Jack, its not i havent tried getting a job up here for the weekends, even at kfc!! But because im a uni student they dont want to touch me, as they always say bla bla students never turn up, dont care about the job etc. So when im at home i just work as much as i can in a crappy metal factory, but over christmas they didnt have the work so i am in the sh1t finacially, but im only here till may then i am free in the big wide world of work, i genuinely cant wait for a nice monthly income :d

General Baxter
09-02-11, 04:53 PM
if you dont plan on moving it, just starting it up, may i sugget removing the wheels ?

MK999
09-02-11, 04:58 PM
LOL reminds me of my ex. When she first went to uni, she calculated how much she could spend each week of her student loan/grants. When she was lamenting about how little she had to spend, I did suggest getting a job... that didn't go down too well lol

I do 9 1/2 hours a week every saturday and give myself sundays off :thumb: :p

Uni debts from last year and my dad going from "don't worry about money you'll not be needing anything while you're at uni" to "well you can pay for that yourself, i'm not" within the first year meant I started off with about -£40 a week to spend after rent beginning of the year, if I don't get a lot of hours over summer it's not looking pretty lol

Connor
09-02-11, 04:58 PM
I plan on moving it, and whys that baxter, was that a joke im not understanding lol

Connor
09-02-11, 05:01 PM
I do 9 1/2 hours a week every saturday and give myself sundays off :thumb: :p

Uni debts from last year and my dad going from "don't worry about money you'll not be needing anything while you're at uni" to "well you can pay for that yourself, i'm not" within the first year meant I started off with about -£40 a week to spend after rent beginning of the year, if I don't get a lot of hours over summer it's not looking pretty lol

Ive been applying already (none in motorsport though lol),
Its looking good for engineering firm at stansted which my bro works at,
i already have an interview and i done even finish till may.
Not bothered about going into motorsport till i have left uni and got my two feet back on the ground and got myself sorted out and shizzle

MK999
09-02-11, 05:05 PM
I've sent off a couple for a year in industry but I found out rather late I was gonna get proper fcuked over this year, was planning to go straight through and into work but it's looking like im on a year break anyway, so may as well be in a motorsport team. No luck so far though and it's a bit late for all the proper placements really.

edit: oh and you can't rob a car with no wheels on it anywhere near as easily, and you also can't rob the speedlines off it if they're sat in your room. I suggest using them as a chair, we all know they're in short supply in student digs.

General Baxter
09-02-11, 05:08 PM
im thinking of the tyres lol

Connor
09-02-11, 05:10 PM
I got the comps on it atm speedlines are at home waiting to be refurbed, and the car is in a very secure carpark, with isnt visable from the road, its also got a pretty good immobiliser on it.

Connor
09-02-11, 05:12 PM
Baxter, you on about like corrosion and cracking if the tyres dont move?
The tyres are at the correct pressures, and it will be still used just not very often. Plus i dont think my halls manager will be happy if i left my car on bricks in his car park for 2 months lol

MK999
09-02-11, 05:41 PM
tyres flat spot if they're left with weight on them, tbh though for 2 months, that's a bit more of a race car thing to be storing it in the air lol