PDA

View Full Version : It seemed a good idea at the time

SKoob
11-06-03, 10:21 PM
just bought meself a prssure washer, and thought ohhhh, me engines a bit grubby, so blasted all the crud off it. well the car started fine after, ticked over perfect, but when u put any revs on now, it almost cuts out then revs normally :? wtf have i dun :?

cheers

mikeoxford
11-06-03, 10:59 PM
check for water in the electrics, obvious things are coil, dizzy, and dizzy cap primarily

YellowTurbo
12-06-03, 12:04 AM
:lol: ...i done the same thing once on my 1.2 and it was running on 2 cylenders had to take down the local A road and floor it until it cleared out

Ste_Nova
12-06-03, 09:01 AM
leave it ticking over till it drys out

Paracidium
12-06-03, 09:46 AM
ur best bet to clean ur engine if u wanna use a machine is a steam cleaner, theyre good as long as u keep away from delicate parts.
it kinda pays off to ave 'rents that buy all kindsa crap off qvc :lol:

SKoob
12-06-03, 02:51 PM
lol, the only steam clener me mums got is used to strip off wall paper :(

mikeoxford
12-06-03, 10:47 PM
lol, the only steam clener me mums got is used to strip off wall paper :(

likewise - ours is for the 3piece :D

Gazza14SR
12-06-03, 10:58 PM
I remember when i did something similar to my scooter!

Needed a clean so i thought i'll take it to the jet wash. After finishing I stood there and admired my new clean machine until it wouldnt start and got extremely stressed with it!

About 2 hrs later it started. Damn thing!

Gaz

SKoob
13-06-03, 03:09 PM
well i have taken it to the garage and they r stumped, they can't find the problem :?

cheers, a very worried SKoob :?

Gunzi
13-06-03, 04:04 PM
I had a similar problem when it rained heavily, I thought it was the leads, or dizzy so replaced them, but it turns out it ws the little box sitting on the inside passenger wing, which supplies the power to the dizzy just behind the headlamp - I discovered this the unlucky way of a rather bad electrical shock, so beware!

Breeny
13-06-03, 10:56 PM
Take the dizzy off, soak it all in WD40 and wipe it clean, spray WD 40 all over the leads etc, and leave it for a while, it'll soon dry out as Ste said.

ade
14-06-03, 11:23 AM
is it carb? What engine - How does it idle - if its ok but occasionally picks up then drops a little could be air leak.

Mine kept dying when ever I touched the accelerator - turned out the manifold gaskets had gone and air was leaking. Got it fixed no improvement so had carb stripped - turns out badly pitted and v dirty - got new one cars fine.

Its possible waters dislodged something that was sealing an air leak on one of the cgaskets on the carb manifold - or the pressures dislodges summut in the carb.

Try electrics 1st - thing is once engine warm - with exception on the dizzy cap (check for cracks) it would dry out.

Sounds like youve dislodged summut that shouldnt have been dislodged.

Ade

pickle
20-06-03, 10:44 PM
u wona get some of that spray stuff that u get in a spray can to clean your engine, dont ask what its called coz i cant remember and i also pinched it from the go-karts, my mate works there!

mikeoxford
21-06-03, 05:35 PM
gunk - and for the hard to reach places use a tiny wire brush the size of a toothbrush.

do as it says on the tin and marvel at its results.

get the engine nice and warm also

pickle
21-06-03, 05:55 PM
yeah y gota get the engine warm for it to work propper and its good shit