PDA

View Full Version : ignition or carb trouble

Curtoise
07-02-11, 06:58 PM
right there is a problem with my 1.4 mk1 sr,
first of all it wont idle it just dies,
and when i rev it up it wont stay at a constant rev it just splutters and dies
when i am driving it if i floor it its fine but if i try and keep it at a constant speed it jolts around.
its not misfiring because when it is running its on all 4.
some people have said it could be a coil?
i have also checked the rotor arm and dizzy caps and ht leads.
somebody said it could be a coil? others with a carb ??
any help with be appreciated cheers :thumb:

brownbear
07-02-11, 07:14 PM
Not sure how the ignition circuitry works on a Nova but I had similar issues with my 1st Mk2 Goof (Carb) and it turned out to be a bad earth.

Spudly
07-02-11, 07:30 PM
Will be your carb, i had the same issues with my old one, would drive fine but just cut out as soon as you let off, find another 2e3 and swap over and you should be fine:d

Ive got a spare one somewhere if you need one, pm me:thumb:

Curtoise
07-02-11, 07:32 PM
yeh i think i need to look out for a webber 32/34 :) cheers for the replys

Spudly
07-02-11, 07:33 PM
Id just bung another 2e3 on if i were you, you will need (iirc) a 1300 inlet manifold and the conversion plate to fit the weber on!

Curtoise
07-02-11, 07:39 PM
bollock ****! i hate the pooburgs tho! what about astra ones ?

AlexW
07-02-11, 10:03 PM
Astra are same. Try some cleaner down it maybe?

mowgli
07-02-11, 10:08 PM
clean the carb. then also check the advance retard mechanism is working. swap the plugs, and have a look at the auto choke.

Curtoise
08-02-11, 11:19 AM
just took it over to my work the plugs are sparking as they should. it is the carb i took the jet out and cleaned it and it has made it alot better but it still goes crap from time to time :(

thisgroove
08-02-11, 11:44 AM
Mine is the same since i have had it back from the garage (head gasket replaced) when the car is idle it will choke up. I have to regulate it with the choke or have foot on the gas - it was nt like this before they replaced it. The whole dash vibrates when your at the lights!

Curtoise
08-02-11, 12:11 PM
why dont you just adjust the idle screw? and mines auto choke :(

thisgroove
08-02-11, 12:13 PM
my dad had a look for the idle screw but could nt see it he has messed about with some clip on the choke which has made it a bit better, im going to take it back to the garage

matt_vaughan
08-02-11, 12:52 PM
I had a massive chunk of crap find it's way into the jet on mine once, blocking 80% of the whole. Would have been fine if I didnt find this out when foot flat on a bypass. Thought I'd bent a valve it was underfuelling that badly. Never had any troubles in 2 years with that 12nv engine though.

Curtoise
08-02-11, 06:04 PM
yeh i have thought it was a bent valve also, i have been looking at webber 34/34's will they fit on my 1.4 inlet manifold? and also are they all the same becasue i am looking at them off golfs? it seems fairly easy to get the adaption plate

Curtoise
11-02-11, 05:27 PM
right this is getting on my nervs now, i have replaced the ht leads, and put new spark plugs in it. took the jets out of the carb, they were fairly dirty and blocked up, this helped it greatly so at least it runs now but when accelerating from low revs it has a fit and sounds like valve bounce, it must be the carb !?

mowgli
11-02-11, 05:55 PM
clean the carb. check,
then also check the advance retard mechanism is working.
swap the plugs check,
and have a look at the auto choke.

Curtoise
11-02-11, 06:52 PM
advance retard mechanism? what that ?

mowgli
11-02-11, 06:58 PM
the funny thing on the side of the dizzy with the small pipe to the carb on it.

Gaz1300SR
11-02-11, 07:29 PM
I had something similar with an SR years back, i am pretty sure it was and air leak somewhere after the carb, either inlet gasket or the gasket under the carb.......

novajulz
11-02-11, 09:23 PM
I think it could be an air leak from the inlet manifold as my 32/34 webber was idling like your so i just replaced the gasket.

Curtoise
12-02-11, 04:10 PM
but it doesnt do it all the time, if it starts missing i rev it up to about 4500 rpm and it stops, it very rarely misses at high rpm. i just took my dizzy cap off to look again and it was all black and what appears to be gravel inside it ?!

novajulz
12-02-11, 05:00 PM
The timming could be out slighty.

Curtoise
12-02-11, 06:39 PM
yeh i think im going to advance it slightly as it seems to be as slow as a 1.2 at the mo ! and i changed the dizzy seal recently so the timing could not be spot on :)