PDA

View Full Version : More problems with wiring my engine up

LEWI007
07-02-11, 04:57 PM
Well i almost have it running but theres problems.

When i turn the key half the way to put ignition on, the starter motor comes in an the engine starts turning over but not starting so there is something wrong with wiring there.

and there is no spark going to the spark plugs.

Im thinking this will be a daft wire in the wrong place or something stupid but i dont know much about electricals on engines so im learning on this one.

Any ideas for me to try and get it running again tomorow ?

mk1nova_rich
07-02-11, 05:18 PM
Is it cranking properly? Ie if there was a spark is it cranking fast enough to start it?

LEWI007
07-02-11, 05:28 PM
Yeah its turning over nicely an petrol is going through.

but why is it turning over on igniton and not on a full key turn like it should.

MK999
07-02-11, 05:29 PM
Probably have a black on the starter instead of red/black.

LEWI007
07-02-11, 05:32 PM
I have positive from battery to the starter

and a red and black on the other side, an i think black and yellow one plugged into the starter.

MK999
07-02-11, 05:37 PM
yellow and black go from alternator to starter?

mk1nova_rich
07-02-11, 05:40 PM
you should have a 10mm red lead direct from battery to one terminal on the starter and a thick red/black cable to the solenoid on the starter. This is the switched live which comes from the ignition barrrel. The only other wire to the starter is one from the alternator

LEWI007
07-02-11, 05:40 PM
all i have to the alternator is a positive from the battery again.

Whats supposed to go there.

MK999
07-02-11, 05:43 PM
all i have to the alternator is a positive from the battery again.

Whats supposed to go there.

Should have a line from the alternator to the starter motor to kick it off when it starts, it's a relay basically, set to switch off when it gets more than x volts, so the cog on the start solenoid comes away from the fly and the motor shuts down, because the engine has spun up the alt.

mk1nova_rich
07-02-11, 05:44 PM
cant remember the wire colour from the alternator

LEWI007
07-02-11, 05:46 PM
So i just have a positive from the battery going to the positive on the starter and the alternator ?

What about the earth on the alternator, do i just join a wire to an earth somewhere..

As for my starter motor, i unplugged the black an yellow one and when i tried to start it it just span, the black an yellow is for the solenoid isnt it ?

DEAN-DOHERTY
07-02-11, 08:33 PM
there is no spark going to the spark plugs

I was having this problem and it turned out i didnt have the crank position sensor plugged in properly..just a thought

Lee
07-02-11, 09:16 PM
Right, you should have a blue/white lead running to the alt, and a black/red lead running to the starter. Both alt and starter should be connected to the battery via a thick red battery type cable. The alternator should be earthed to the engine block via an earth strap NOT a wire (it will melt), and the gearbox should be earthed to the chassis via another strap.

You have your starter wired up to the secondary ignition live somehow. I suggest you have a look at the barrel connections as there may be a short, and also trace the black / red wire from there to the starter ensuring there are no breaks or dodgy connections to other wires.

And yesm the small black and yello lead is the solenoid wire, leave it plugged in lol

LEWI007
08-02-11, 04:57 PM
Checked everything and still the same problems.

i bought some thicker wires and new connectors etc.. fastene everything up properly and still not working :(

mowgli
08-02-11, 05:32 PM
step away from the vehicle........

LEWI007
08-02-11, 10:02 PM
any more ideas ?

Lee
08-02-11, 10:30 PM
TBH lew it sounds like the wiring is a mess, more of a mess that can be diagnosed on a forum.

If you have checked the starter wire and its fine, but the fault is stillthere, either you haven't checked it properly, or there is a properly weird fault somewhere. Could even be the ignition barrel.

Nobby
08-02-11, 11:12 PM

:thumb:

cant really see how your going wrong mate, i take it your using the standard nova mini loom? if so you should have like lee said

blue/white wire - alternator
Thick red - battery + that goes on the 13mm on the starter
smaller red/black that goes on the 10mm on the starter

possibly cant remember but doesnt really matter
green blue - oil pressue sensor
blue -temp gauge

the red/black is you igniton switch and the thick red is your permanent 12v, i would pull the cowling off and have a look at the wire behin, hav they been messed with at all? Vehice ever been broke into? as it sounds as though you have the it either plugged in wrong ( cant see it being that as its kinda keyd and will only fit one way ) or if like my old nova it had spade connectors you have the wrong one connected. IE one of the connectors is a 12v ign+ but doesnt carry supplying 12v when cranking.

As for no spark, have you got the ignition + in the bay connected so the ecu is switched on? Other faults - coil, module, crank sensor, leads?

L14MNP
11-02-11, 11:32 AM

lol

Should have labelled up and took pics if you knew this would happen! Just ensure you follow the advide on here Lewi, and check everything (like the CPS) is done up tight.

bmw156
11-02-11, 11:35 AM
lewi why dont you take pics and post them on here.