PDA

View Full Version : Knocking

Tony M
07-02-11, 03:38 PM
Everytime I change gear or accelerate there is a knocking/banging noise.

I had the car jacked up yesterday checking the running gear and the engine mounts but found nothing obvious, broken or loose ?

wwmnw
07-02-11, 04:40 PM
Checked the tie bars/tie bar mounts?

nova_saloon
07-02-11, 05:28 PM
check the bolts that hold the lower ball joint to steering knuckle and the tie rod together, all bolts that are on the anti roll bars, make sure the engine mounts arent worn to much and are tight. also check bushes and check suspension top mount, really go around tighening everything up and i mean everything and see what happens, but let us know when you discover. xe or standard btw?

Tony M
11-02-11, 01:55 PM
Yeah sorry its an XE on standard mounts. Well since my last post I have noticed that the engine does rock around the engine bay alot when starting her up and when accelerating hard I'm now getting a rubbing noise when sounds like its coming from behind the dash, alternator rubbing maybe?

With this I'm guessing an engine mount has failed but how can I determine which one?

nova_saloon
11-02-11, 06:14 PM
is the rear gearbox mount the right way around?

mowgli
11-02-11, 06:17 PM
can of wd40 in the boot?

Iain
11-02-11, 07:36 PM
Replace or ideally upgrade all the engine mounts if it's moving around too much.

Tony M
16-02-11, 02:45 PM
Well Gunny replaced the drivers side top mount because the rubber had totally snapped off the top but after it had been replaced, it was still knocking.

Well after more investigating I found that 2 bolts had fell out the front gearbox mount and the last one was loose :roll: Gunny's loctite them in so I hope that works.