PDA

View Full Version : Is skimming necessary?

brownbear
07-02-11, 11:19 AM
Head is off the golf derv as it was boosting past the gasket.
Should I skim it?? No need for long answers just yes or no on the poll please.

don't wish to start a riot. lol

Paul
07-02-11, 11:56 AM
No, wrong way. The turbo boost (although only low on diesel may be pressuring the water system.

If the gasket is cracked inbetween a bore and a water way it will pressurize the water system.unfortunately a compression test will probably not show it, nor may a sniff test.

From the overheating problem; Was i right then?

No skimming is a myth, whack some silicone sealer in there and tighten the headbolts down through a further 5degrees.

brownbear
07-02-11, 12:01 PM
No and yes the head and the gasket are fine, Apparently after a period of time the head lifts from the block due to the booooooost.

Only on the 110's and hardly ever reported! lol.

It's due to the fact the tolerances are stretched due to the extra bhp but the sundries of a lower bhp are still used. (e.g 80bhp bolts and gasket with a uprated 110bhp output due to bigger turbo and different map)

Clever VW only changed the internals and the cooling stuff and the toys to make it quicker, But left bolts and gaskets the same. It's taken it YEARS to lift but it did it!!

brownbear
07-02-11, 12:08 PM
Also changing the radiator temp solved it! lol

Dervy
07-02-11, 05:30 PM
yes if it has over heated no the rest of the time unless you really want to, but be careful it can cause problems, i usually just clean the head up with sand paper then check if its flat with a straight edge

nova_saloon
07-02-11, 05:33 PM
check for straightness and if in doubt take it somewhere and they can check it over for you. otherwise see if there any mods you can do like using uprated bolted or bolts from another car, like my mates spitfire the 1.5 takes bolts from the ford cosworth engines so use that 10,000rpm mk3 spitfire here we gooo!

blue_peg_16v
07-02-11, 06:09 PM
yes take it to be checked anything other is a pikey bodge

Pistol Pete
07-02-11, 06:27 PM
Not needed IMO. I have done many head gaskets on various cars. Never had one skimmed. Never caused an issue either. As Paul says...all abit of a myth/old wives tale if you ask me!!

AlexW
07-02-11, 06:28 PM
Paul was taking the piss.

Always skimmed unless its been a case of its not possible to skim it any further.

markc20xe
07-02-11, 06:29 PM
better to get it done, better safe then sorry

Pistol Pete
07-02-11, 06:30 PM
Why always skim???? Surely only needed if a massive gasket failure has occured and there is possible warping of the head?? Still overkill IMO.

AlexW
07-02-11, 06:33 PM
Because its better than having a customer come back and then moan its gone again.

Pistol Pete
07-02-11, 06:36 PM
Because its better than having a customer come back and then moan its gone again.

Oh...lol so if you work in a garage yeah...do it, get some extra coins....even if its not needed:roll: !

As i said earlier, done headgaskets on my cars and NEVER had one skimmed. Never caused a problem either!

This is going to be a marmite type thing...lol

brownbear
07-02-11, 06:41 PM
Ok, So i'm getting it Skimmed, Pressure tested, Valves out, Lapped with new stem seals, Fully polished internally to remove all soot etc for £40.

I'm a happy chappie!!

AlexW
07-02-11, 06:42 PM
Cheap. Lapping valves in is a good idea too!

brownbear
07-02-11, 06:45 PM
:) I'm uber happy!!

blue_peg_16v
07-02-11, 06:53 PM
bargin

brownbear
07-02-11, 07:01 PM
Company Asa's work use, According to le wifee they are s4it hot! I'm quite excited actually! (How tragic is that) lol

Adam
07-02-11, 07:59 PM
I would only get a head skimmed if it was in bad condition, or the engine had overheated