PDA

View Full Version : lowering to 60mm, new shocks needed?

Nova_Ro
06-02-11, 04:12 PM
im coming close to buying some 60mm all round springs for my nova, currently everything on it is standard so will i need to buy some new shocks aswell or will standard shocks cope for a while?

GDN16v
06-02-11, 04:17 PM
Change the shocks when you replace the springs! Do it once and do it correct as the standard shocks will give a terrible ride on the -60mm springs and last about 5 mins!:thumb:

novasrikev
06-02-11, 04:34 PM
you will need to on the rear anyway or else the springs will be able to come out on standard shocks pal

Derick-Sport
06-02-11, 04:47 PM
i have lowered my b 80mm on standard shockers and its ****ing awful just cba to fit my coilovers!!

Balley
06-02-11, 04:54 PM
Don't bother on my experience.. seems ok on-40mm though

peester
06-02-11, 05:44 PM
If existing shocks are newish/recent then they may last a few months; but as mentioned best to replace; Youll virtually have it all off the car anyway.
The springs wont be an ideal match for the shocks. Plus the shocks are often physically shorter.
The more you spend on the right brands, the better the car will feel.

Nova_Ro
06-02-11, 06:17 PM
cheers all, think im going to decide to wait a bit and do it properly! maybe just go straight for a set of coilovers or just a nicer shock and spring kit thats made to fit and ride at the hight im going for

Nova_Ro
06-02-11, 06:20 PM
just thinking actually, the back spring and shock are seperate? so are coilovers only made for the front or am i missing something? dont really need to have adjustable hight anyway if im honest so springs and shocks made to 60mm would be the best option for me

GDN16v
06-02-11, 06:22 PM
just thinking actually, the back spring and shock are seperate? so are coilovers only made for the front or am i missing something? dont really need to have adjustable hight anyway if im honest so springs and shocks made to 60mm would be the best option for me
Most coil over shock kits are fronts only with seperate spring and shock at the back but GAZ do a full coilover kit for the nova!;)

Nova_Ro
06-02-11, 06:27 PM
am i benefiting a lot out of getting coilovers atall? im only new to driving and want something that isnt going to stand out too much and looking at most coilovers out there, they are pretty flashy looking! would preffer to have something that looks as standard as possible just 60mm lower

peester
06-02-11, 06:28 PM
Aye; ide get the gaz kit too.
With rear coilovers may need some bashing at the back though (turret/wheel arches) - and keep wheels at et 49 and 6J ..

tommy8252
06-02-11, 07:48 PM
To fit rear coilovers ideally you want to turret inner arches where they bolt to the top and strengthen the rear beam mounting area. I would just go for -60 springs and bilstein shocks all round.

Nova_Ro
06-02-11, 10:03 PM
yeah a few people have said bilstein shocks! quick reasonable on price aswell, think it will be the easiest thing too do

ryansnova
06-02-11, 10:12 PM
i have 60mm springs on standerd shocks and its fine but it only sits about doing nothing lol but there is plenty in the shocks :D

moffat
06-02-11, 10:20 PM
id uprate shocks with 60mm springs. i bought 60mm shocks and springs for my sr

ryansnova
06-02-11, 10:22 PM
i am going to get a set of coilovers for the frunt of mine :)