PDA

View Full Version : heating in track cars

bainyboy sr
06-02-11, 11:41 AM
i have been viewing a few threads on here that are building track cars and most are still using the heating systems in there novas i.e heater matrix, mine has never had it i just have a fan on an over ride switch , should i put it back in ? is it essential? i no it would help keep the engine cooler on hard driving ?

Spudly
06-02-11, 11:51 AM
I think its mainly for if its driven in cold conditions i.e. winter, you wouldnt want to be in the snow and ice with no heating at all, and for the use of the blowers to demist the screen/car on damp days too, you should be fine if you only use it in summer but you may have a problem with misting due to having no blowers!

bainyboy sr
06-02-11, 11:52 AM
i have the blowers still just no heating lol , the car tbh hardly gets used in bad weather , i will be selling it shortly so debating weather to re fit the matrix

draper
06-02-11, 11:54 AM
misting up is the biggest problem, if you have polycarb windows aswell then you'll struggle to get enough fresh air in the cabin to clear the screen.

people have looked at little heaters but the general consensus was there not good enough, ill be having the heater matrix/blowers in my car

Pistol Pete
06-02-11, 01:25 PM
I eventually plan to strip my car in readiness for a cage etc. I will keep some form of heating. I already have a heated screen. As Spud says on cold days, if you dont have it, you will soon miss it!!

bazil
06-02-11, 01:31 PM
the car tbh hardly gets used in bad weather ,

:wtf: WTF, ive never seen good weather at Knockhill lol

selling it? dont bother imo

Hobbit
06-02-11, 01:50 PM
Got a heated screen in mine, and thats more than Lee had lol

Adam
06-02-11, 02:21 PM
You cant really cope without having some kind of heater imo!
Hence i kept the matrix etc in mine.

The issue is worse with polycarbs. Any kind of damp weather/rain etc, and you'll steam up in no time.

I remember being a passenger in Lee's old motor at Combe when his windows steamed up pretty quickly. He had sliders open in the front windows too....

Jack
06-02-11, 02:51 PM
Got a heated screen in mine, and thats more than Lee had lol
Got one in his current one :p

Just fit a V6, you won't need any sort of heater then lol

Adam
06-02-11, 03:05 PM
Just fit a V6, you won't need any sort of heater then lol

Did you miss the "track car" bit in the title? ;) :p

bainyboy sr
06-02-11, 03:13 PM
like i said its never had any heating just the blowers i think im going to put the heating back it in as it will help clear the windows when it rains , because even with the blowers it does mist up and with the heating in it will keep the engine cooler

bainyboy sr
06-02-11, 03:15 PM
:wtf: WTF, ive never seen good weather at Knockhill lol

selling it? dont bother imo

would love to keep it mate , i no il regret it but needs to go need to get the mk2 astra finished mate and im not going to have a place to keep them both

mowgli
06-02-11, 03:22 PM
Got a heated screen in mine, and thats more than Lee had lol all those bits of hot metal flying round would keep it warm

dhdev (Oli)
06-02-11, 04:23 PM
Misting up can be overcome by opening the sliders and applying some Fog-X to the inside of the screen. Ice on the screen is a real problem though :cry:
I used to drive my nova in all seasons without a heater and I can definately conclude that you should keep the heater. In the winter you'll have to wear so many clothes that the you won't actually save any weight by removing it :thumb:

bainyboy sr
06-02-11, 04:36 PM
lol ano what you mean oli ive experinced this aswell lol

Jack
06-02-11, 04:51 PM
Did you miss the "track car" bit in the title? ;) :p
Tracks can be straight lol

Adam
06-02-11, 04:55 PM
Of course Oli you can always "pre-heat" the car by having a portable heating sitting inside it for 20mins before you exit the pit lane. ;) lol

Jack, yeah, 1/4mile long ones.

dhdev (Oli)
06-02-11, 04:57 PM
Of course Oli you can always "pre-heat" the car by having a portable heating sitting inside it for 20mins before you exit the pit lane. ;) lol

Don't mock that worked wonders! lol

Adam
06-02-11, 05:33 PM
Don't mock that worked wonders! lol
It did indeed lol