PDA

View Full Version : Getting driveshafts out

Andrew V
11-06-03, 05:27 PM
Hi all, just put my new engine in (1.4) but when i went to put the driveshafts in it seems that on the passenger side half of it is still there? I bought the car as a shell so it didn't have an engine and I haven't taken driveshafts out before.
I'd like to know how to take it out :oops:

Gunzi
11-06-03, 05:47 PM
They are not that bad all you need is the biggest socket you can find - unsure of the mm but it was the biggest in my set. Keep the wheel on as this adds stability for later, remover the wheel trim or alloy cap over the drivershaft and place the socket attatched to the ratchet over the huge nut and preferably place something over the end of the ratchet like a bit of scafolding (hollow) so you will have leverage. Now you should be able to remove the nut, the driveshaft should just pop out if you have no engine in the car.
When I did mine, I had nothing to put on the end of the ratchet and so spent ages jumping up and down on it using the wing of the car to get stable. It came off in the end.
Peace
Gunzi

Andrew V
11-06-03, 05:53 PM
sorry i didn't explain it right half of it is still in the gearbox that came with my new engine
Andrew

rgv_stu
11-06-03, 06:00 PM
there held in with a circlip inside the box
you need a big screwdriver or crowbar and lever the cv joint out of the box .it usually works best if you crack the screwdriver /bar with a large hammer to jolt it out

mikeoxford
11-06-03, 11:13 PM
or if the shaft is in the box, and the engine and box in car, grab shaft and just push it all the way in, and then out, and keep doing that - theres a couple of inches of play in the joint, they usually come out. do it with someone doing the crow bar ting also

Gunzi
12-06-03, 11:14 AM
Sorry about that, to get my driveshafts out I just pulled back and forth (with the driveshaft in a straight line outta the 'box) and it popped out, then spilt gearbox fluid all over the floor.

Andrew V
12-06-03, 12:31 PM
:evil: This is really annoying me now. I've tried levering, pulling, poking things-everything!

It's half of the cv joint that's in there so i haven't really got much to pull on. Don't suppose there's anything else I can do?

Chris LR
12-06-03, 12:49 PM
hit it a bit harder, or apply some heat?

Andrew V
12-06-03, 05:17 PM
Managed to get the CV joint out. Had to wedge a chisel in the gap and go mad :twisted:

Dicko
12-06-03, 05:32 PM
i usualy use a crow bar :), if it wont pop out under the weight of the wheel/shaft :twisted: