PDA

View Full Version : noisey gear box.......

TUBZGSXR
11-06-03, 05:07 PM
when i start the car an put it in reverse it often grinds... doenst sound to good, an if i put my foot on clutch an change gear whilst stationary with the window open its well noisey as well, a sort of clackin, clickin sound as i move the gear stick between the gears, is this normal???

Onslaught
11-06-03, 05:37 PM
Hi m8 ive just got a nova myself and im getting the same kind of noises from my gear box, my m8 told me last night that them noises happen as its just the gears changing, metal rubbing on metal to change position?

Anyway the simple point is i have the same noises :) Id like to hear someone elses 2 cents on this matter tho ;)

Thanks

TUBZGSXR
11-06-03, 08:01 PM
yea i guessed as much mate, bit noisey though..... :roll: oh well just have to have a noisey nova spose......

adam2472
11-06-03, 08:10 PM
ur not alone m8.. my gearbox is well noisey too... specially reverse.. ive had my nova bout 7 months now and been like it ever since i had it.. dunt think its nething to worry about..

YellowTurbo
12-06-03, 12:12 AM
the only way i found to stop my reverse from chrunching was too put it in reverse slowly if it begins to crunch then put it in first then back in reverse should slide straight in :)

mikeoxford
12-06-03, 12:19 AM
make sure it has enough oil in

not engine oil

there is a oil level plug and a filler on the gearbox iytself

Aragorn
12-06-03, 10:28 AM
mine crunches if the car is moving while u try to engage reverse OR if the revs are high

ie if its rolling forwards slightly

iirc its summat to do with the reverse gear being streight cut or summat simialr

DUNOVA.
27-06-03, 01:41 AM
Hi my gear box was like that it just took a little bit of ajusting the selecter

Bennovas
27-06-03, 03:04 PM
Its most probably a tiny adjustment thats needed in the linkage if its only reverse but if its all gears it might be the clutch needs adjusting. I had the same problem. But its ok after I adjusted the linkage.

Stuart
27-06-03, 03:38 PM
his clutch is setup perfectly ;)

as for the noised, cehck fluid level. and also gearboxes are noisy things regardless of how well maintained/new they are

the reverse grind can be cured by double declutching before attempting to select it

TUBZGSXR
27-06-03, 03:44 PM
yea clutch is fine, Cheers Stu! :P
to be honnest i think im proby bein a bit picky! both of the novas ive owned have had noisey gearbox's!
Tubz

mattcogg
27-06-03, 11:10 PM
Tell me about it! I think nova gearboxes are just noisy anyway. I was told that if the gearbox is on its way out then you hear a whirring sound in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating and then the gears get really "notchy"! I am forever being paranoid about mine if it's on your mind then it makes it worse! I am sure somebody out there has detonated their gearbox it's got to be obvious when it fcuked. I was in a RS turbo with a fcuked gearbox and trust you knew about it. I changed my gearbox because I thought it was knackered and guess what the second gearbox is just the same!!

Matt