PDA

View Full Version : Nova TD woes- fuel problem page 2

MK999
05-02-11, 10:14 PM
Trying to remove the nuked engine atm, and the O/S mount is being a pain in the ass
3 bolts holding the mount to the chassis leg are siezed solid

The 2 bolts that go up and down through the mount, we've removed the nut from the bottom of the rearward one, leaving the captive bolt (?) head which we obviously can't remove. The more forward one the bolt head has sheared off.

The allen shaped bolt in the engine, we simply can't get any tools on to undo.

Any ideas? Pic to follow.

draper
05-02-11, 10:17 PM
undo the mount form the block then attackt the mount with agrinder and replace

bmw156
05-02-11, 10:18 PM
weld a nut onto the bolt with the snapped allen key?

MK999
05-02-11, 10:20 PM
Its a very small allen head and an allen style socket wont go in and we dont have a key big enough.

MK999
05-02-11, 10:21 PM
weld a nut onto the bolt with the snapped allen key?

Allen key hasn't snapped. The head of the forward facing bolt that sits on the part between the engine and rubber mount.

How does it actually come apart the mount?

MK999
05-02-11, 10:35 PM
How does it actually come apart the mount?

We've managed to undue the top allen hold bolt but there appears to be another. Do you have to remove the engine rubber to access this last bolt? ie does it run right through the mount?

C612DNM
05-02-11, 11:26 PM
Any chance of a picture?

MK999
06-02-11, 12:17 AM
All sorted now, cheers to those that replied though :)

draper
06-02-11, 12:19 AM
so how did you sort it ?

Count Vaux Alot
06-02-11, 12:24 AM
You two cant be left to do anything can you? lol

Best pic I have of the rubber mount

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/Count85/Nova%20TD/Nova%20TDI/NovaTD306-1.jpg

MK999
06-02-11, 01:04 AM
As per james pic above, that bit between the engine and the chassis splits into 2, it just needed us to unbolt the entire engine mount and try it the hard way before it shifted!

Count Vaux Alot
06-02-11, 01:09 AM
you collected the motor ok then? Is it in yet?

MK999
06-02-11, 01:39 AM
you collected the motor ok then? Is it in yet?

Yeah we did, meant to drop you a message when we got in but obviously been all systems go lol Thanks to your dad for moving the car at such an early hour too as it made it 100x easier! We didn't wanna ring the doorbell or anything in case we woke someone up lol But he came out to see us :thumb:

Tbh as per usual with this car it's been issue after issue! The main one probably being Simps attempting to remove it XE style while I was trying to do it smallblock style, neither of which works on a diesel lol The old one is out now though and they're sat side by side to have whatever needs swapping, swapping, got some service parts for it as well, oil, filter, gearbox, oil, cambelt kit, clutch etc so I was doing those this morning while Simps pulled bits off of my engine and pretended to know where they go lol

Tomorrow morning swap some bits over and hopefully bolt it up before Simps has to rush off to whatever lucky fella he's meeting for dinner :p Should be erm, interesting! lol

Danny s-p
06-02-11, 02:54 AM
do u have a project page for the car

MK999
06-02-11, 10:33 PM
do u have a project page for the car

No.

Engine is now all in, managed to weld an old extension onto the bolt to get it out of the mount, just needed a couple bits connecting, but I've just broken a radiator outlet. My own fault really was trying to knock it into place and just assumed they were metal and the rubber hose and a bit of wood would protect it, have another diesel radiator I was planning to use on the track car so that'll have to go in, just an ass of a job to change and I'm pretty fed up with it atm so leaving it for tomorrow.

MK999
07-02-11, 07:43 PM
Engine is in, plumbed up, got power etc etc, just trying to gte it started and got no fuel coming through atm, obviously it's mechanical pump so that means cranking a lot... whats the best way to get the fuel through before I flatten the battery, I'm thinking loosen off one injector so any trapped air in the others just forces it down one route and get it firing on one, then running on 2, the 3 then 4...

Is there a better way at all?

Count Vaux Alot
07-02-11, 09:30 PM
Yep thats as good as any - try turning it over with jump leads connected if you can as it will turn faster and consequently draw fuel faster you can also give it some easy start or brake cleaner in the air intake to give it some help, dont go mad though as thats feeding it un governed fuel

davidfox280585
07-02-11, 10:33 PM
give it a quick tow with all injectors cracked open,then stop
nip them all up and another quick tug and should bark into life

mowgli
07-02-11, 10:36 PM
quick tug
finally, something mk999 has experience in....

MK999
07-02-11, 11:57 PM
Just went with my method after checked a couple times here with no replies, took a while but it eventually came to life, had a 2nd battery and charger on it lol It runs sweet as a nut :thumb: Just gotta do the castles nuts up and stick the bumper and grill back on then load up to get back up to uni ready for a 9am start! All good fun :tard:

Count Vaux Alot
08-02-11, 12:01 AM
I should have just come and fit it for free too lol might have been easier

MK999
08-02-11, 02:58 AM
I should have just come and fit it for free too lol might have been easier

It was honestly an utter ass, the evil possessed corsa heart did not like it's exorcism from the poor host nova, and clung on for dear life, every nut we came across was siezed or snapped, everything we tried to pull out had something in the way... it really did go in a hell of a lot easier than it came out!

Just needs alternator belt re tensioning and something doing with the vac pump as it's jammed against the slam panel, and possibly some fuel system cleaner as it seems a bit on/off with how it runs, overall really smooth though, much much better than the old engine, a lot quieter too, seems to pull well when it's a go mood :) Turbo was siezed when we picked it up and took a little bit of WD and brake cleaner to free off, but seems to boost ok now, although a little noisy, I'm hoping that clears though.

Related post in muppet in a second :)