PDA

View Full Version : The Derv Engine discussion

Dod
04-02-11, 08:42 PM
I've always said Derv is for Vans & Tractors. I stand by my statement.

Ok, The Corsa B came fitted with a 1.5D and a 1.7D

Point A).
I'm going to assume the 1.7 is an Izusu engine based on the fact that the 1.5D is an Izusu as is the 15TD engine.

Point B).
So, does this mean the 1.5 and 1.7D blocks are the same?

Point C).
I also know that one of the more modern 1.7Ds has the same block as the Izusu, what engine is this and what are they found in?

Point D).
Are there any other Vauxhall Derv engines that will bolt into where a 1.7 Izusu has been removed from?

Balley
04-02-11, 08:46 PM
Completely different head and blocks from the 1.7 to 1.5, they look similar but are very different, the head has extra water gallerys on a 1.7 too

I did not know about modern engines being the same?

Nope not with out lots of work

burgo
04-02-11, 08:48 PM
same knows all the engine codes but the 1.7 16v is the same bottom end with a 16v head.

Balley
04-02-11, 08:52 PM
Is it burgo. take it its the X17dt engine then?

Hmm I wonder if I can fit that head and my injectors and pump to mine maybe?

burgo
04-02-11, 08:56 PM
you would need the pistons as well i imagine

Balley
04-02-11, 08:58 PM
Sound like hard work tbh, I bet the pump is a VR aswell

burgo
04-02-11, 09:00 PM
would be no harder than doing a 1.5-1.7 swap imo, in other words getting a 16v and stipping it to the bare block and head and putting all the 8v stuff on

Balley
04-02-11, 09:06 PM
So what exhaust would you use and turbo? I doubt It would clear the cross member.
The alternator bracket bolts to the head also? What do you do about that... I can assure you it would be a lot harder than just swoping some bits over!

burgo
04-02-11, 09:08 PM
use the 1.7 8v turbo and exhaust. not being funny but how can you assure me when you clearly are not aware of the engine lol.

Mike
04-02-11, 09:12 PM
Is it burgo. take it its the X17dt engine then?

Y17DT engine is a lot more common.

Mieran
04-02-11, 09:13 PM
Corsa B came in 1.5TD as well, I think they were all 5 door.

Dod
04-02-11, 09:15 PM
Cheers Burgo.

Ok, so the 16v D will bolt in in place of the 8v. Thats one car sorted.

Doing the 1.5 to 1.7 swap, whats involved with regards to mounting it in the bay?

Balley
04-02-11, 09:17 PM
Because I have just look at one.. Just think about it? the Inlet manifold is completly different .

The Turbo and manifold are have a different flange fitting to..

I am not saying it couldnt be fitted but I would be loads more work than just swopping some bits over and for what? a modern engine with the wrong fuel pump and turbo fitted...

I will stick with the 8v in mine... But if I had a Cav or Astra like your your brothers with loads of space in the bay I would probably look into it more :D

Balley
04-02-11, 09:19 PM
Cheers Burgo.

Ok, so the 16v D will bolt in in place of the 8v. Thats one car sorted.

Doing the 1.5 to 1.7 swap, whats involved with regards to mounting it in the bay?

Strip block to nothing on both engines and replace everything with the 1.5 items bar the turbo manifold and fuel pump and injectors...

Dod
04-02-11, 09:23 PM
/\ After that it should just bolt in, yeah?

Conclusions so far from a few different forums.

Point A). Yes, both NA and Turbo are Isuzu with the exception of the GM low blow.
Point C). Yes, a 1.7 16v TD engine
Point D). None as yet

Balley
04-02-11, 09:29 PM
/\ After that it should just bolt in, yeah?

Conclusions so far from a few different forums.

Point A). Yes, both NA and Turbo are Isuzu with the exception of the GM low blow.
Point C). Yes, a 1.7 16v TD engine
Point D). None as yet

Yeah will bolt in.. pluss you need to use the F18 so you need the rear mount modding :)

burgo
04-02-11, 09:29 PM
Because I have just look at one.. Just think about it? the Inlet manifold is completly different .

The Turbo and manifold are have a different flange fitting to..

I am not saying it couldnt be fitted but I would be loads more work than just swopping some bits over and for what? a modern engine with the wrong fuel pump and turbo fitted...

I will stick with the 8v in mine... But if I had a Cav or Astra like your your brothers with loads of space in the bay I would probably look into it more :Dthe inlet maybe different heance why i said strip it right back and fit all the 8v stuff, as in fit the 8v inlet and pump and everything else

Balley
04-02-11, 09:33 PM
the inlet maybe different heance why i said strip it right back and fit all the 8v stuff, as in fit the 8v inlet and pump and everything else

I no what your sayin mate but I cant see everything just bolting up

burgo
04-02-11, 09:35 PM
I no what your sayin mate but I cant see everything just bolting upbut everything from the 1.5 doesnt simply bolt to the 1.7, yes you may have to modify a couple of things but its hardly going to be rocket science is it

Dod
04-02-11, 09:37 PM
Burgo, what cars had the 17 16v engine?

burgo
04-02-11, 09:43 PM
corsa c, astra g and h i think and possibly vectras maybe

Dod
04-02-11, 09:46 PM
Excellant.

Now, to summerise.

1.5 & 1.7 NA are good for nothing. I read about using the NA inlet on the Turbo engines, will the 15 and 17 fit both Turbo engines or is it just the 15 - 15 and 17 - 17?

Dod
05-02-11, 08:28 AM
Also, will the 15td's F13 and flywheel fit the 17TD engine?

davidfox280585
05-02-11, 09:33 AM
yes direct fit and the 1.5 flywheel is a lot lighter,though the 1.7 one uses a bigger clutch,ive never had any issues using the standard setup

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0BUOVZwPyTNdW168nTzqQBSD4xWwpr PzB19vUW_Km3bBBmCTLuQ&t=1
iirc there is more than expected to fit,i know the engine is isuzu based but he heads have recessed injectors as i looked into fitting a old style pump into my old combo

Dod
05-02-11, 10:01 AM
So Thats the 16v Derv Engine? I must get everything together and stripped down and see what my options are here. Rep added + Sweet S1. ;)

davidfox280585
05-02-11, 10:10 AM
So Thats the 16v Derv Engine? I must get everything together and stripped down and see what my options are here. Rep added + Sweet S1. ;)
see im very unsure if they are 16 valve engines,unless they run like hondas with 1 cam pulley tp run 2 cams!
i did the belt on my combo and it was the same as cavaliers to do and lock up,it is an isuzu engine but there are too many differences when i looked,though anything is possible,
if mine went i was going to fot the older engine as i think there a lot better ie simpler(no ecu crao and sensors to go wrong)just plain good old reliability:thumb:

Dod
05-02-11, 10:17 AM
How do you find the engine itself compaired to the older engine, power, pull, runningwise etc?

Balley
05-02-11, 11:10 AM
Excellant.

Now, to summerise.

1.5 & 1.7 NA are good for nothing. I read about using the NA inlet on the Turbo engines, will the 15 and 17 fit both Turbo engines or is it just the 15 - 15 and 17 - 17?

The 1.5 ilet is the same as the 1.7 inlet in side :)

Balley
05-02-11, 11:11 AM

yes but you have to cut a piece off the bell housing to mount the F13

Also the F13 will not hold the boost it will slip :(

Balley
05-02-11, 11:13 AM
see im very unsure if they are 16 valve engines,unless they run like hondas with 1 cam pulley tp run 2 cams!
i did the belt on my combo and it was the same as cavaliers to do and lock up,it is an isuzu engine but there are too many differences when i looked,though anything is possible,
if mine went i was going to fot the older engine as i think there a lot better ie simpler(no ecu crao and sensors to go wrong)just plain good old reliability:thumb:

Exactly what I thought.. everything looks to different for it just to fit

amggsi
05-02-11, 11:28 AM
corsa c, astra g and h i think and possibly vectras maybe

Honda Civic also used it as well.:thumb:

davidfox280585
05-02-11, 06:14 PM
How do you find the engine itself compaired to the older engine, power, pull, runningwise etc?
later dti isuzu engine was quieter and smoother and good on fuel,
the older faster,torque was better and equally good on derv though i prefer the old setup for reliability has i was fed up with the eml light every 2 minutes on the dti:(
hence why i wanted to convert to old style plus there easier to tune old skool way! though if your into refined smoothness get the dti:thumb:
balley i never had a problem running the standard setup and was running 18psi,i know you are running more but guess its how you want the car,i used mine as a daily just wanted slightly more poke not to be a dragstrip hero:thumb:

Balley
05-02-11, 06:35 PM
laballey i never had a problem running the standard setup and was running 18psi,i know you are running more but guess its how you want the car,i used mine as a daily just wanted slightly more poke not to be a dragstrip hero:thumb:

And Mazda 323f had the engine lol

I guess its down to driving style but.. I would always want to run big block as its tryed and tested :)

I would love to see what there like with the much smaller flywheel though ?

Dod
05-02-11, 07:55 PM
Ok, so basically, stick with the 8v and tune it instead. Nice.

Bailey, any recomendations on the route to go for Modding it?