PDA

View Full Version : Welding a petrol tank?

Nobby
03-02-11, 08:52 PM
any one done this? i bought a GSI tank off John H but unknowingly to me or him lol underneath some wax oil i found these holes? Ive googled it and alot of people have said no dont bother? anyone ever repaired such holes in a tank?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs057.snc6/168784_10150380203815431_665680430_16800775_643363 6_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=16802329&id=665680430)

mowgli
03-02-11, 08:54 PM
buy an epoxy patch from an old school motor factors.

Yorkie
03-02-11, 08:55 PM
cant hurt to try lol, just make sure there is no petrol at all in there, but i would guess not looking at them holes lol

Gareth_C
03-02-11, 08:56 PM
Im sure i have read someone asking this before might of been on here.
But it was something about filling the tank with sand or something like that due to the fumes in the tank :confused:

Sturge
03-02-11, 08:56 PM
Have the hole at the very top and fill it with water to push all the vapour out and you'll be fine

TWAG
03-02-11, 08:58 PM
Fill the tank with water and that will push any vapours out. Obviuosly empty the water out before welding :-)

mowgli
03-02-11, 09:00 PM
i worked with a bloke who reckoned you could weld a petrol tank with petrol in it & the outlets plugged, but not if it had water & petrol vapour in it. he was also the best welder i've ever met.

the theory was: petrol vapour is the explosive hazard, the fuel itself is surprisingly not that flammable.

i also know someone who's hubby drained a diesel tank & welded it, and it exploded, nearly killing him.

Andy
03-02-11, 09:06 PM
Seriously,dont even attempt it.
Its not worth the risk

joenova_gte
04-02-11, 02:42 PM
someone at work welded a capri one a few months ago. make sure u empty all fuel and run loads of water through it try and leave as much water in the tank as possible while welding. best way is to brase it though as mig will just keep blowing holes.

Angus Closier
04-02-11, 02:49 PM
and leave as much water in the tank as possible while welding.

That seems sensible :tard:

Why bother? Its really not that expensive to get another one, really worth the risk to save a few pennies? Id just get another tank, welding it seems like a pointless task. Wont be easy either due to how thin it is....

joenova_gte
04-02-11, 03:00 PM
That seems sensible :tard:

Why bother? Its really not that expensive to get another one, really worth the risk to save a few pennies? Id just get another tank, welding it seems like a pointless task. Wont be easy either due to how thin it is....

he asking advice im giving my opinion. as said if theres any vapour in there you will appear on the next fire safety add. hence run loads of water through to clear all vapours and leave some water in to reasure vapours are clear.

Sturge
04-02-11, 07:41 PM
Whats the problem with leaving the water in?? You shouldn't have it near the electrical supply or yourself so it's fine.

And welding thin stuff's a piece of cake if you've got a reasonable intelligence level and know how to set up and use the welder properly

joenova_gte
04-02-11, 08:17 PM
you can mig weld it but brasing is easyer. just turn the amp and wire feed down.

Angus Closier
04-02-11, 09:14 PM
Whats the problem with leaving the water in?? You shouldn't have it near the electrical supply or yourself so it's fine.

And welding thin stuff's a piece of cake if you've got a reasonable intelligence level and know how to set up and use the welder properly

I can weld and I do have a reasonable intelligence level, hence why Id just buy another one. Would save alot of hassle and be perfect, If the op's welding isnt perfect and it leaks then what have you got out of the exersize.

Im just saying for your avrage person buying a new one would be a whole lot easier, they are not expensive.

16v Nova Kev
04-02-11, 09:15 PM
weld that no problem it will only pop once.

Balley
04-02-11, 09:22 PM
We have done it with water in to the rim!

brucer
04-02-11, 09:43 PM
weld that no problem it will only pop once.

lol light a match and chuck it in to kill the vapour. :d

i think the correct way about it is to fill it with an inert gas.

Dayle_
04-02-11, 09:50 PM
I lost a friend who was an apprentice plant mechanic due to cutting through a metal barrel with oxy acetylene (his boss had asked him to do it or something like that later came out it was full of petrol fumes, it exploded giving him 3rd degree burns :-( for the price of a new tank (i got one 2 months ago for £45 delivered) it really isn't worth it.

Bubba
04-02-11, 09:55 PM
i worked with a bloke who reckoned you could weld a petrol tank with petrol in it & the outlets plugged, but not if it had water & petrol vapour in it. he was also the best welder i've ever met.

the theory was: petrol vapour is the explosive hazard, the fuel itself is surprisingly not that flammable.

i also know someone who's hubby drained a diesel tank & welded it, and it exploded, nearly killing him.

i too know people who have said its "ok" to weld it as long as its FULL of fuel...

if i could i would find a better on...but if you are desparate for that one could you not fibreglass it?

Angus Closier
04-02-11, 10:00 PM
I lost a friend who was an apprentice plant mechanic due to cutting through a metal barrel with oxy acetylene (his boss had asked him to do it or something like that later came out it was full of petrol fumes, it exploded giving him 3rd degree burns :-( for the price of a new tank (i got one 2 months ago for £45 delivered) it really isn't worth it.

Exactly, Your life worth £45?

Andy
04-02-11, 10:04 PM
Even if you fill it with water,try draining the water out in full,cos of the sh1t shape it aint happening,just buy a new one.or use a 12/13/1400 one.A swirl pot aint everything,hell if your gonna pay the extra £xx to fill it you may aswell fill it and not worry about a swirl pot which only matters under a 1/4 tank on hard cornering anyway!