PDA

View Full Version : New phone contract advice

mk1nova_rich
02-02-11, 08:43 PM
Right my current contract is coming to an end (extended it another month as I hadn't even looked for a new phone lol)

At the minute I have a Nokia E63 with 75 mins, unlimited texts (4000) and unlimited internet (2000MB+) for £15 a month on an 18 month contract with Three which has been a very good deal IMO but the phone is a tad dated now :thumb:

Not clued up on what decent phones are about at the minute to be honest, but would like a contract with similar allowances to the above, preferably with a bit more calltime though... looking to spend £20-25 a month, £30 tops

Anyway, fire away with phone recommendations, contract recommendations etc... :d

bazil
02-02-11, 08:45 PM
sim only iphone tarriff on o2, £20 per month 1200 text and 600 mins unlimited intertubes

mk1nova_rich
02-02-11, 08:47 PM
sim only iphone tarriff on o2, £20 per month 1200 text and 600 mins unlimited intertubes

So I'd have to buy an Iphone on top? Or am i just being thick? lol :tard:

Spudly
02-02-11, 08:48 PM
Ive just got a bramble on orange, thought my credit rating was too poo for a contract so went for the first that came up lol

Got a bramble 9780 with the panther tarrif, 300 any network anytime minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited interwebs, and the phone was free, for £30.64 per month.

Well impressed with the bramble as never had a proper interwebs phone before and it has more toys and gubbins than any other phone ive had/used:thumb:

bazil
02-02-11, 08:49 PM
So I'd have to buy an Iphone on top? Or am i just being thick? lol :tard:

sorry yeah you'd need the phone lol, i never updated my phone and went to sim only thus already had the iphone:thumb:

mk1nova_rich
02-02-11, 08:52 PM
I fancy an Iphone, but a quick glance at the contract prices resulted in me clicking the red 'X' in the corner of the page lol

Spudly
02-02-11, 08:55 PM
Have a spy at the brambles mate, im really impressed with mine, and dont let the diddy likkle keys put you off, i have sausage fingers and can use mine fine:thumb:

Stuart
02-02-11, 08:55 PM
Avoid three like the plague.

imho for a 'data' device you want to be on Orange or Vodafone as O2 is just overloaded with ipone users and the network is shocking for data.
As for the handset, just go and play with stuff in the shops (most have live phones to play with if you ask) and see what suits. The VF H1/M1 phones look good if they have sorted the 360 back end out.

I loved my BB 9700 when I got it 18 months ago, but now I hate the damn thing as its sluggish and crashy, even with software updates etc.

bazil
02-02-11, 08:59 PM
she has a nokia x6, decent phone but the sony erickson vivaz runs the same nokia format but with 8.1 megapixel camera and 720p HD camcorder !!

mk1nova_rich
02-02-11, 08:59 PM
Have a spy at the brambles mate, im really impressed with mine, and dont let the diddy likkle keys put you off, i have sausage fingers and can use mine fine:thumb:

Will do mate, thats the only thing I struggle with on Iphones... serious key mashing lol

Spudly
02-02-11, 09:02 PM
I used to use a sony ericsson satio which is a full touchscreen, i never did quite get on with it, but im really glad to have gone back to a 'button'ed' phone lol

John
02-02-11, 09:12 PM
If you want an i there's lots of good deals about for the 3gs i-phone, yes it may be the old model but it's very good.
try here.
http://www.omio.com/

Edd
02-02-11, 09:25 PM
If you can get a iPhone on contract for £30 I'd go with that

brainsnova
02-02-11, 09:32 PM
I'm 02 sim only £15 a month 30 day contract 300 mins unlimited texts and free 02 to 02 calls and i got no data as it's terrible lol

mk1nova_rich
02-02-11, 09:33 PM
Sim only are no good lol I want a new phone!! cheers anyway

bazil
02-02-11, 09:33 PM
If you can get a iPhone on contract for £30 I'd go with that

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity/iphone/1_month

brainsnova
02-02-11, 09:50 PM
http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity/iphone/1_month

That's not including the iphone lol

Lee H
02-02-11, 09:56 PM
After a bit of shopping around I went for an iPhone 4 on Tesco (they use O2 for network). Phone was £15 and £40 a month with unlimited calls, texts and Internet.

Jack
02-02-11, 10:48 PM
HTC Desire-Z here; fancied a touchscreen but still wanted buttons. I'm usually a Nokia man, but their latest lineup is a) crap and b) still on the horrifically outdated Symbian OS, which means they're even more c) crap than point (a) makes out. If you can wait a few months, the MeeGo OS is supposed to be pretty good.

As for the HTC, its great. I don't actually use the buttons as much as I thought, as the onscreen jobber works so well (and I have sausage fingers), but its very handy for web use and writing long posts - like this lol The keys all have a space round them too so they're more tactile than other phones with qwerty keyboards.

Phone was about £130 to buy, but I got £30 cashback from Quidco (as in proper cash in my account, not a stupid send-off-for-a-cheque thing) and this was a pre-order last year so the phone was £££. Plus it worked out way better to spend a few quid more on the phone and have a cheaper monthly bill (free phone would have been £40 a month... do the maths!). Contract is £20 on Orange, 300 mins, unlimited text (FUP is 3k I think), 500mb data which doesn't sound a lot but I spend most of my time hopping around wireless rather than using 3G. They do other contracts too, there's a panther one which offers a lot more for £30 a month.

The Z is overshadowed by the HD and Mozart - but avoid the latter as its WinMob - and you generally have to buy it from resellers rather than direct, but thats no problem as deals direct from the network are usually the most expensive way to get a phone! Desire HD would probably be cheaper, original Desire is also pretty much free on most contracts too, but then with both you lose the keyboard.