PDA

View Full Version : 750mc stockhatch Rebuilding a gsi/get motor?

Danb1987
01-02-11, 08:43 PM
Evening all! Atm I'm working with a 750mc stock hatch scrutineer who says stay away from novas and get a saxo.....

Truth be told there isn't many novas competing anymore but lots of saxos

How much would a rebuild cost in general for one of these engines be? And due to strict stock hatch rules what's the best power to be expected with a decent cam, standard manifold but exhaust system?

There's not much more that can be done tbh but I'm just wanting a basic guide!

It would be nice to stay away from the "in" crowd and run a nova just to see how it does, I believe the only reason they don't really compete anymore is purely because there isn't that many about nowadays.

Dan

peester
01-02-11, 08:47 PM
if they use saxo vts's then youll struggle tbh - but its hardly fair, 8v vs 16v; hopefully they only allow the vtr
You should see 110-115bhp, with similar torque.

Plug
01-02-11, 08:49 PM
could the c16xe or x16xe not be used if there using 16v engines in the saxo's?

Sbd do kits for them if so or you could build one yourself

garyc
01-02-11, 08:52 PM
aren't they 8V saxo 1600's?

Basically you will want a blue printed motor, if you paid for one to be done I think you would be looking at about a grand. You can probably save a bit if you do it yourself. You have to stick to a Std cam though.

My mate raced in it a few years ago, it was a bottomless pit of money.

Danb1987
01-02-11, 08:55 PM
No the car has to be standard apart from a few little things

Standard brakes and wheels standard airbox pretty much standard everything bar cam...

There's 2 cats... 1400cc 16v and upto 1600cc 8v although reading through the regs you can use a c2 Vts 16v.

I did think about an Sri but with the power the saxos run it wouldn't stand a chance.

Edit slow to the blueprinting post lol

garyc
01-02-11, 08:58 PM
When my mate did it he had to run a control cam from Kent. I think that is just a blueprinted std cam. do they allow a rebore, otherwise I'd have thought finding a decent 1600 quite tricky.

Danb1987
01-02-11, 09:08 PM
I think your allowed a 0.5mm rebore.

The hardest thing would be to find a standard gsi or gte as most have either died been modified or just to expensive to ruin...

A saxo would be the cheapest option as a vtr can be picked up for circa £400 but parts for them I.e rollcage etc are quite expensive.

garyc
01-02-11, 09:16 PM
surely cost will be about the same whatever the car. I'd go Saxo if i was you. Looking at the rules I bet they have caught some cheats recently!

C612DNM
01-02-11, 10:51 PM
The issue you have is the Nova is too heavy compared to the Saxo (when stripped out). The engines are often as bent as a nine bob note, I know people who have tried and failed. I looked at the regs and they are certainly not a level playing field. There is no attempt to level it with either weight, or other adjustments, hence - if you want to win, you need a Sukso - and one with a motor that touches the edges of the rules. You can't blueprint - because that means machining to design tolerances, where the rules state "manufactured original" - ie: as cast. No polishing, or meddling.

The Hot Hatch series killed itself because it allowed people to play with homolated parts, and led to all sorts of politics and the demise of what was supposed to be a low cost formula that allowed limited tweaking.

If you build a good Nova, you could (if you get some driver coaching) get into the top five perhaps.

peester
02-02-11, 06:25 AM
The issue you have is the Nova is too heavy compared to the Saxo (when stripped out).

both cars are a similar weight and size.. any car is going to be heavier when compared to a stripped out one..

mowgli
02-02-11, 08:51 AM
KBF71. pm him. he won the (2009??) stock hatch championship with a gsi nova. it was pretty much stock apart from an aftermarket ecu, which is allowed apparently.

remember, its usually down to the setup & driver skills...

we sponsored a lad with a 205 years back, and he was mates with Robbie Kerr (one of the best penniless drivers this country has produced) and the lad had a £4k engine with all sorts of tricks, and according to robbie, he was trying to outbrake everything, which he usually managed, and then was too slow out of the corner and the other cars left him standing.... he never seemed to understand this.

garyc
02-02-11, 09:17 AM
Nova has to run at a minimum of 836Kg, saxo 910Kg.

MattBrown
02-02-11, 09:20 AM
Nova has to run at a minimum of 836Kg, saxo 910Kg.

How Odd.

If your alowed, you want a saxo 1.1 shell, with a VTR bottom end, with a c2 VTS head.

That will give the most go, and least weight.

Only thing is, custom cages want £1100 for a "Saxmax" championship spec cage:(

kbf71
03-02-11, 11:09 PM
KBF71. pm him. he won the (2009??) stock hatch championship with a gsi nova. it was pretty much stock apart from an aftermarket ecu, which is allowed apparently.

Fame at last! :d

Yeah I ran a GTE in 08/09 and have spent all the time since trying to get it ready to go again (was well bent after 09. Pretty much dragged it over the line in the last race, after a 260 mile round trip to make an overnight engine swap with an engine dragged out of Gaznova's shed...)

It's pretty strict, but for 2011 they have spilt the championship's two classes (pre-92 and 92-onwards) into seperate races - so we won't be up against the Saxo's! Which is kind of a shame, as I am back this year and wanted to show them all how it's done ;)

The only 1600 16v allowed is a C2 VTS and it runs significantly heavier. I had a good battle with one in 09... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjW6-Kr-I4I :thumb:

The season starts in April, if anyone fancies coming to Mallory Park to have a look around and ask questions, let me know and I'll try and round up some tickets! (drivers get 4 to give to family and friends :) )

Connor
04-02-11, 12:41 AM
Fame at last! :d

Yeah I ran a GTE in 08/09 and have spent all the time since trying to get it ready to go again (was well bent after 09. Pretty much dragged it over the line in the last race, after a 260 mile round trip to make an overnight engine swap with an engine dragged out of Gaznova's shed...)

It's pretty strict, but for 2011 they have spilt the championship's two classes (pre-92 and 92-onwards) into seperate races - so we won't be up against the Saxo's! Which is kind of a shame, as I am back this year and wanted to show them all how it's done ;)

The only 1600 16v allowed is a C2 VTS and it runs significantly heavier. I had a good battle with one in 09... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjW6-Kr-I4I :thumb:

The season starts in April, if anyone fancies coming to Mallory Park to have a look around and ask questions, let me know and I'll try and round up some tickets! (drivers get 4 to give to family and friends :) )

I will definitely be interested in this pal, me and a couple of mates did a project on this championship about the funding side and management if we were to run a car (nova of course lol) and we are studying at derby university (doing motorsport course) let us know when your at mallory as its only down the road :thumb:

mowgli
04-02-11, 07:00 AM
i live 5 miles from there. i would like to go to that

draper
04-02-11, 08:39 AM
i wouldnt mind coming down to that, be nice to get a proper look at novas in a championship setting and see what the score is for prepping them. actual people who have done it not people who have aread about it on the internet

and connor can give me a lift lol