PDA

View Full Version : 16SH Crank in C20XE block

tgp_motorsport
01-02-11, 12:35 AM
Has anyone had any experience of putting a 16SH crank in a C20XE block as a shorter stroke crank?

Or in fact know if it actually fits...

Damo
01-02-11, 08:56 PM
Why???

The XE is a strong engine as it is?

tgp_motorsport
01-02-11, 09:45 PM
I'm planning on building a short stroke engine, able to rev significantly higher than a standard engine. Less torque but more power higher up the rev range.

Planning to run it on an F20 SCCR gearbox in a classic mini on 13" wheels, however the gearing isnt quite right for a standard engine. The reduced torque but higher top end power would suit the car more than the standard engine setup

A high revving short stroke engine would suit the sprint events and gearing would be massively improved.

If anybody has a 16SH crank spare, I would be very interested in buying it off them.

Thanks

C612DNM
01-02-11, 10:22 PM
I have a 1600 Cavalier engine (16S) outside my workshop. It's been there for quite a few years, but you're welcome to it for the crank if you come and fetch it.

shed-on-wheels
02-02-11, 01:29 AM
but if you have a shorter stroke then the xe block wont be no good as it would buger up the compression ratios and the pistons not going to reah the tdc of theblock

tgp_motorsport
02-02-11, 01:56 AM
but if you have a shorter stroke then the xe block wont be no good as it would buger up the compression ratios and the pistons not going to reah the tdc of theblock

I am planning on skimming the block down to counteract the difference in stroke length, effectively giving a shorter block. There will be just enough movement on the belt tensioner if i have worked it out correctly

C612DNM
02-02-11, 05:28 AM
You can always use a shorter belt - you just need to find a Gates catalogue and get searching.

Some years back I looked at making a short stroke smallblock using an old 1.2 lump. Using the same bore that I had in my 1763cc smallblock, I could get it to just shy of 1500. The only issue was the same one that I have with that engine - the head gasket. It's not insurmountable, my hand made copper gaskets do work, but you have to be very careful when you seal up the oil/water galleries.

The other option would be to use longer rods, though this will blow quite a lot of the benefit of the short stroke out of the water. Considering this is going to be an all steel engine (?), you can compromise with deck height and rod length to find a happy medium.

Do you want this 16S engine? It's yours if you collect it - free, gratis....

tgp_motorsport
02-02-11, 10:13 AM
I have a 1600 Cavalier engine (16S) outside my workshop. It's been there for quite a few years, but you're welcome to it for the crank if you come and fetch it.

Thanks for the offer of the engine. I would be very keen on it however collection may prove difficult for me. I will have access to a van in April so if the offer is still on the table then, i would happily come to collect it. Thanks