PDA

View Full Version : nova let?

16v Nova Kev
31-01-11, 09:25 PM
will a nova with a let engine fitted 250bhp max destroy the shell even with seam welding and chassis plates. opinions please.:thumb:

forgot to say road use mainly

nova_stee
31-01-11, 09:29 PM
yes ive seen belter shells stitched then plating kits fitted pull apart but they were around the 300-350bhp mark took a while mined

Pistol Pete
31-01-11, 09:30 PM
Depends. If the shell is as rotten as a pear, then yes. If its a good shell, then no. If i was building LET, i would plate it just for piece of mind. But everyone has different views on it.

16v Nova Kev
31-01-11, 09:32 PM
was only looking at standard power or 250 max.

Nova_Tek
31-01-11, 09:35 PM
It shouldn't. If it does it means it was probably rotten in areas and not strengthened enough in the right places.

16v Nova Kev
31-01-11, 09:38 PM
i was thinking about fitting a let in my sr once its done. its fairly solid in all the right places so might just go for it

Pistol Pete
31-01-11, 09:40 PM
An internet fiver says that when Stu sees this he will bang on about how its not needed..blah blah blah lol ;) :p :d

Graeme
31-01-11, 09:42 PM
I'd say no, with seam welding and a plate kit, 250bhp and for fast road use, imho it'll be good and strong for a fair few years

Benn
31-01-11, 09:42 PM
No, if its welded you'll be fine. Lots of them about that are fine.

16v Nova Kev
31-01-11, 09:43 PM
No, if its welded you'll be fine. Lots of them about that are fine.

i totally forgot about your one :roll:

nova_stee
31-01-11, 09:48 PM
Depends what you drive it like aswell mine does fantastic 4th gear burnouts at 350bhp

Benn
31-01-11, 09:48 PM
Mines only std power, but been on the road 2years. Been out of track a few times, then you have LeeH's, Keith Robinsons, Rich metcafes, just off the top of my head, they where all up on power and have had track/strip action.

Andy
31-01-11, 09:50 PM
Depends what you drive it like aswell mine does fantastic 4th gear burnouts at 350bhp
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTvbAiYfuPksrJPKTjGnQYO78xEWCkS D9gReEFsJZf0WzTIXls

I'd plate it,while the engine is out it would be daft not to

Nova_Tek
31-01-11, 09:51 PM
I've stitch welded and fast road plated the bay as it was a precaution I thought I'd take seeing as the bay was empty.

16v Nova Kev
31-01-11, 09:52 PM
i will fo sho thinking about making a jig and doing the whole floor while im at it.

shed-on-wheels
01-02-11, 01:51 AM
well i say aslong as its not a rotter then seam weld and plates or even stitch weld and plated

Paul
01-02-11, 02:05 AM
Mines only std power, but been on the road 2years. Been out of track a few times, then you have LeeH's, Keith Robinsons, Rich metcafes, just off the top of my head, they where all up on power and have had track/strip action.

Whenwas this then, i thought he just looked at it in the garage? lol

Benn
01-02-11, 06:54 AM
lol, it has been used tho. And don't for get Paul's old one. That took alot of abuse.

Southie
01-02-11, 07:11 AM
I was about to say the same, maybe he's got a rolling road in his garage lol

Jack
01-02-11, 07:47 AM
My V6 is plated and stitched and still pulling itself apart lol

Jeff16v
01-02-11, 07:58 AM
Most let power is point and squirt and being in London it doesn't get abused as much as it should. I imagine things like tracking and steering would show signs of movement but I haven't noticed any.

Jack, it's called. Loon for a reasonlol

Lee H
01-02-11, 01:50 PM

Cheeky git, used to be my daily driver many moons ago.....

ste porter
01-02-11, 02:02 PM
i found mine was ok with basic stitching on phase 2 but with the up to 3.5 it caused the bottom cross member to start to flex and split and when i striped it down for the 4x4 conversion it looked like the bottom crossmember had been atacked with a sledge hammer!
problem was where i had reinforced all the seams and joins with stich welding instead of spliting there it sent the forces across the span of the cross member and causes the whole thing to ripple and start spliting from some of the holes
if i hadnt stiched it at the seams it proberly would have riped it of at the joins long ago

Benn
01-02-11, 06:22 PM
My V6 is plated and stitched and still pulling itself apart lol

Pics, as tbh i've never seen it yet.

BRoadGhost
01-02-11, 06:33 PM
The roads in the current state destroy a shell depending on what suspension setup & wheels you're running. Higher aspect tyres, non RJ's where bushes should be, damper stroke, corner weights, unsprung weight & rigidity are just some of the things when combined with when the power / torque is used will ultimately dictate any structural damage to the body.

Spudly
01-02-11, 06:39 PM
Blue_peg Richs loon isnt welded nor plated iirc and he had nearly a 200bhp 48'd xe in there for years and he has i quote 'no mechanical sympathy whatsoever' he regularly used to detonate engines and boxes before he moved onto his let, and trust me ive been in it with him, he doesnt drive it steadily, and his aint ripped itself apart lol

16v Nova Kev
01-02-11, 06:49 PM
can of worms eh.

matthew172
01-02-11, 06:53 PM
The roads in the current state destroy a shell depending on what suspension setup & wheels you're running. Higher aspect tyres, non RJ's where bushes should be, damper stroke, corner weights, unsprung weight & rigidity are just some of the things when combined with when the power / torque is used will ultimately dictate any structural damage to the body.

where would you say bushes should be used instead of RJ's ?

Rich
01-02-11, 08:15 PM
He means rosejoints will be harsher on the shell than a normal bush

blue_peg_16v
12-02-11, 10:27 AM
Blue_peg Richs loon isnt welded nor plated iirc and he had nearly a 200bhp 48'd xe in there for years and he has i quote 'no mechanical sympathy whatsoever' he regularly used to detonate engines and boxes before he moved onto his let, and trust me ive been in it with him, he doesnt drive it steadily, and his aint ripped itself apart lol

i only deternated 6 xes!!! and lost count of boxes, oh and think im the only person ever to shear both outer cvs off in the hubs with a standard f20 diff lol and digi dashes flash when you go past the red line and thats always a chuckle, tbf i think it depends on the state of the shell to start, but i am intending to weld mine when the engine comes out this time just for piece of mind