PDA

View Full Version : c20xe into nova sri

lidz
31-01-11, 12:06 AM
hi im looking for any advice about what people have done about the sri loom which is left over when the engine is took out. ie injector plugs, temp sensor, ecu etc. is there a easy route or is it dash out and strip wires from the car loom ? i have done a few c20xe conversions but not on a sri or gsi (coilpack engine). any help would be brilliant. cheers

iceni
31-01-11, 09:38 AM
On the car i'm building for Grey i stripped all the old loom out. You might get away with just removing the glove box to access the loom but on this car the dash was already out.

With that you can then reverse the XE loom, bolt the ecu to the bulk head behind the glove box and run the XE & Engine bay loom through the same hole on the left had side, saves cutting dirty great big hols in the bulk head

Cheers
Andy

Grey
31-01-11, 10:55 AM
As to what andy has said look at my thread pics, basically they explain for them selves :)

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137414&page=9

Damo
31-01-11, 01:03 PM
Will you not have to extend the XE loom for it to reach the glovebox side tho?

iceni
31-01-11, 01:53 PM
No because the ECU sits behind the glove box on the NS right next to the hole in the bulkhead that the main engine bay harness goes through.

The only wire that might be a problem is the crank sensor wire but if you re-route it from the sensor you can get this to come out by the servo.

Also split out the coil, dissy/coil pack wires and the ecu temp sensor wire and run these down the NS inner wing with the head lamp harness.

It looks a bit complex to do and when i first started looking at it i was in two minds but having done it its a piece of **** and makes the job look nice and tidy, not a complete hash up, on offence to anyone

Andy

Damo
31-01-11, 06:21 PM
But how do you get the loom to reach bend it back on itself?

Just a thought for the future.

lidz
31-01-11, 09:21 PM
cheers guys ill have a look at the build thread. i would prefer to route the xe loom on the drivers side as i have done before if possible.but at the moment iv got to source a new front x member, i cant belive its so badly corroded compaired to the rest of the car ! thanks.

Pistol Pete
31-01-11, 09:27 PM
When i did the wiring for my XE (mine was originally an SRi) i just stripped the loom completely out. Car, engine the lot and replaced with a boggo loom. 10 times easier IMO. God knows why, but only SRi's have the loom intergrated. PITFA lol

steviegsi
31-01-11, 11:24 PM
My Gsi loom is the same! I don't want to loose my alarm though so is it a case of cutting the wires going to the original ecu and pulling them out, then connecting up the xe loom? Or rolling the engine loom up in a ball and sticking it behind the dash?

phazer
01-02-11, 09:48 AM
You can remove it with a bit of patience. It's not that bad to be honest. Be aware that where the loom enters the engine bay and is wrapped in tape it is full of what can only be described as goo. It's very very sticky! If you do it this way you can keep the fuel pump relay if required and all of your alarm/immob. wiring stays intact. I did it to get rid of the old loom after moving to DTA.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/phazer_mig/Picture140.jpg

GDN16v
01-02-11, 09:56 AM
We stripped all ours out of our integrated loom when we fitted the MBE and tbh its a pain in the butt! Much easier as said to get a loom out of a car with doesnt have the injection loom in it and just fit that!

The white water tight putty stuff in the loom where it goes through the bulkhead is disgusting, sticks to everything and doesnt come off easy!!:thumb:

phazer
01-02-11, 10:01 AM
I've done worse jobs, it's not that bad. Taking out the whole loom is only easier if the dash is out and the engine is out (in the OP's case the last one is no problem!).

The goo is a pain but white spirit shifts the stickyness.

GDN16v
01-02-11, 10:13 AM
I've done worse jobs, it's not that bad. Taking out the whole loom is only easier if the dash is out and the engine is out (in the OP's case the last one is no problem!).

The goo is a pain but white spirit shifts the stickyness.

I took the dash out and pulled the engine bay loom through the bulkhead so i could rewrap the the loom in the car.

The loom is about half the size with all the integrated crap taken out!lol

steviegsi
01-02-11, 10:18 AM
My loom is all on the inside of the car now so that will hopefully make it a bit easier! I imagine its more time consuming rather than difficult though?

Glad to hear everyone else has the gooey shlte .... Thought some moron had been fiddling with mine!

lidz
01-02-11, 10:34 PM
thanks lads all these posts are very helpfull ! i thought it must be do-able but wasnt quite sure how. it seems like the best way is to strip the wires back and pull them out. (watching out for the white gu) the pic that phazer has posted looks like you can do it without the dash out and just the glove box is that rite ?

Grey
01-02-11, 10:40 PM
You can but in all fairness it takes 15 mins if you know what your doing to take dash out of a mk2 nova :)

gary_126
01-02-11, 11:00 PM
I agree with phazer, its not that bad. I had fairly little knowledge of the nova loom when i started.

Dash out (also a good chance to check for any rust/leaks

Then snip each plug in the bay you dont need, and trace the wires back to the grommit. Pull the snipped wires through the gromit (leaving what phazers pic shows)

If you can get another base spec type injection loom, then fair enough. (also an easy swap provided dash/interior is out.