PDA

View Full Version : Laptop help required

Sturge
30-01-11, 10:28 PM
Now rather unfortunately, when it comes to these little boxes of black magic I'm not quite as clued up as I'd like to be so any help would be much appreciated.

The offending article is a HP Pavillion which, on the whole, has been pretty impressive.
But in the last few weeks my speakers have mysteriously uninstalled themselves and now show as a bluetooth device, so no sound!

And more worryingly, I now can't turn it on! Pressing the power button brings it on for a few seconds before it turns itself off again. It then proceeds to carry on turning itself on and off every few seconds, and the only way I've found t stop it is removing the battery. Or if trying with the battery out, disconnecting the power lead.

Can anybody suggest any cures or is it a hand it in job? :(

MK999
30-01-11, 10:30 PM
Sounds like something in the BIOS is screwed to me, is it showing anything on screen when it starts?

bmw156
30-01-11, 10:32 PM
try pressing a mixture of the F buttons when it trys to boot up, i think f9 is the bios button.

if you can get it into bios, its a step forward.

Sturge
30-01-11, 10:33 PM
Sounds like something in the BIOS is screwed to me, is it showing anything on screen when it starts?

Nope, just as the screen starts to show life it shuts off again

Welsh Dan
30-01-11, 10:33 PM
What model is it? Also, whats the part number off the underneath please?

Sturge
30-01-11, 10:36 PM
What model is it? Also, whats the part number off the underneath please?

Model no...DV6700

Part no... KN047EA#ABU

Can't see pressing f9 making much difference, it's not getting far enough :cry:

MK999
30-01-11, 10:38 PM
Nope, just as the screen starts to show life it shuts off again

BIOS would be the collection of random crap it says when it starts up, so it sounds like thats gone tits up to me, unfortunately I only know how to try and fix that on a desktop lol

Sturge
30-01-11, 10:47 PM
F9 definitely doesn't work, nor does any F button

bmw156
30-01-11, 10:51 PM
ok, im out of ideas lol.

bmw156
30-01-11, 10:53 PM
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-111507-hp-pavilion-dv6000-won-t-turn-on-black-screen

just found this, not the exact model but close :)

bmw156
30-01-11, 10:55 PM
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/laptop-won-t-turn-on-pavillion-entertainment-DV6700/td-p/84717

Sturge
30-01-11, 11:26 PM
can't seem to find anyone with the same problem getting answers :(

Mine will come on and the blue lights come on as does the fan, then a few seconds later it all shuts off, it's not just the screen not working or it not turning on at all.

May have to keep searching

Sturge
30-01-11, 11:35 PM
Hmmm, seems like the cutting a long story short, it's fecked good and proper :(

Knew I should've bought a vaio

Welsh Dan
31-01-11, 12:00 AM
Vaios are no better. HP are easy to find parts for, on the other hand Sony are nearly impossible.

brainsnova
31-01-11, 12:48 AM
My acer laptop stopped working the power light came on and the disc drive made a noise but no screen or hard drive sounds or display so i opened it up and unplugged some wires which were short as hell so I ended up cutting a 40mm hole in the bottom of it and still couldn't get them in so I think it's fecked too lol

Jack
31-01-11, 07:43 AM
HPs are utter utter dog turd. We have sooo many problems with them at work. The whole "tattoo" (google it) debacle couldn't have been scripted any funnier lol

Sounds like the power supply is goosed if its not turning on correctly. Or motherboard.

Hoochie
31-01-11, 08:25 AM
Jack, I was the last one to use it, friday afternoon it switched itself off as it was overheating( as ever) so i turned it back on, within an hour it switched itself back off and its been goosed ever since, he's had to take the battery off to stop it switching on and off.

Jack
31-01-11, 01:30 PM
Jack, I was the last one to use it
Ahhh. You broke it then lol

Hoochie
31-01-11, 01:35 PM
Ahhh. You broke it then lol
It broke whilst in my hands...lol, thing is now i have to share my pc with him, and he hogs it for ages...:roll:

Welsh Dan
31-01-11, 01:39 PM
Jack, I was the last one to use it, friday afternoon it switched itself off as it was overheating( as ever) so i turned it back on, within an hour it switched itself back off and its been goosed ever since, he's had to take the battery off to stop it switching on and off.

lol that'll explain it. Its worth getting laptops cleaned out every now and then. It shouldnt cost much - we charge upwards of £15 depending on how bad it is.

Hoochie
31-01-11, 01:46 PM
lol that'll explain it. Its worth getting laptops cleaned out every now and then. It shouldnt cost much - we charge upwards of £15 depending on how bad it is.
Yeah it definitely gets hot, it would fry lady/man parts if it's on lap for more than 30 minutes.

Do you think it's just fried itself and it's now buggered??:)

Welsh Dan
31-01-11, 01:48 PM
More than likely, sorry :).

Hoochie
31-01-11, 01:50 PM
Well thanks anyway to those who tried to help, i'm sure he appreciates it....:):thumb:

Sturge
31-01-11, 07:14 PM
Not really the answer I was hoping for lol

I only went for the HP as it was recommended by a mate who's meant to be an it expert :roll:

Any way I can retrieve the stuff I hadn't backed up yet? :wall:

mrs_kiwinova
31-01-11, 08:19 PM
Iv got an acer laptop... Mine keeps overheating and turning itself off!
And one of my speakers keeps going on and off and then sometimes crackles!
Nothing seems to work to stop it from turning off! :(

I bought an external hardrive so i didnt lose any data. :)

Sturge
31-01-11, 09:06 PM
I have an external hardrive too but the wench killed it off before I backed it all up lol

mrs_kiwinova
31-01-11, 09:08 PM
I have an external hardrive too but the wench killed it off before I backed it all up lol

ahhh not good then.. should of bought a spare lol

MK999
31-01-11, 09:23 PM
ahhh not good then.. should of bought a spare lol

Doesn't matter how many spare drives you have if said 'wench' kills the laptop off before it's backed up :p

mrs_kiwinova
31-01-11, 09:24 PM
Thats true. =/

Lesson to be learned dont let anyone touch your laptop

John
31-01-11, 09:29 PM

By cleaned out i take it you mean physically taking it apart to clean inside? or cleaning the computer bit (lol) The only reason i ask is mine has recently got hot underneath, fan runs flat out for about 10 mins then drops off.

Welsh Dan
31-01-11, 09:29 PM
Iv got an acer laptop... Mine keeps overheating and turning itself off!
And one of my speakers keeps going on and off and then sometimes crackles!
Nothing seems to work to stop it from turning off! :(

I bought an external hardrive so i didnt lose any data. :)

Take it to a local* computer shop to get it cleaned out, also go into the advanced sound properties and drop the 'internal subwoofer' volume down to about 30%, it should stop the crackling if its an Aspire 59XX/69XX/89XX model.

*not PC World lol.

By cleaned out i take it you mean physically taking it apart to clean inside? or cleaning the computer bit (lol) The only reason i ask is mine has recently got hot underneath, fan runs flat out for about 10 mins then drops off.

Physically opening it to clean the heatsink fins. On some you can use a blowvac to blow the dust out by blowing through it in reverse, but i prefer to open them up to make sure its done properly.

Sturge, you can get the hard drive taken out and put into a caddy, effectively making it into an external HDD.

Jack
31-01-11, 10:06 PM
Was going to say, hock the hard drive into a caddy or another machine.

You're all aware most laptops aren't designed to actually be used on laps? All the ones I've seen say they have to be used on a flat, hard, surface lol

Hoochie
01-02-11, 07:54 PM
Was going to say, hock the hard drive into a caddy or another machine.

You're all aware most laptops aren't designed to actually be used on laps? All the ones I've seen say they have to be used on a flat, hard, surface lol
Yeah, but who ever does what you're meant to? lol

*ah pants, joys of sharing one computer. It's Sturge lol