PDA

View Full Version : anybody running on used engine oil?

davidfox280585
30-01-11, 04:13 PM
was told by a guy on another forum he runs his landrover td5 on a 50% used engine oil and 50% diesel and its legal or so ive been told as the tax on the oil has already been paid,thought i would try it in the cav 20 litre of used oil filtered and 20 litre of diesel and it runs mint no smoke mates were laughing at me doubting it will work but its proved them wrong, i now am running the cav for around 65p a litre as my mate works at a fastfit and i have an endless supply of oil lol

Cle
30-01-11, 04:17 PM
Surly can be good for your car, At my work had a pug boxxer van in that was run on biodiesal and its f**ked, melted piston distroyed turbo twice so had a new engine and on its 3rd turbo now

L14MNP
30-01-11, 04:19 PM
I've heard of this before too. The reason I have heard of it being used though is to cover the traces of cherry when you are dipped. lol

davidfox280585
30-01-11, 04:35 PM
these isuzu's seem bomb proof, i have turned my boost down and pump to standard,i cant see why it would harm it its filted and diesel is oil so thought why not, apparently if they dip you they send it to the lab and if it has traces of the dye in the red then you get done this is why ive mixed it with white only, the guy who told me about it said he was dipped and let him off as it was mixed with white and all the correct taxes paid, it runs no different

Jack
30-01-11, 07:54 PM
Surly can be good for your car, At my work had a pug boxxer van in that was run on biodiesal and its f**ked
Biodiesel is different though isn't it?

As for the oil mixed with fuel and the cops being interested, why would they care? As its only diesel or petrol or whatever thats taxed and dutied at certain rates. If I could run my car on coffee for example, that doesn't mean they could start charging fuel duty on it...?

davidfox280585
30-01-11, 08:03 PM
Biodiesel is different though isn't it?

As for the oil mixed with fuel and the cops being interested, why would they care? As its only diesel or petrol or whatever thats taxed and dutied at certain rates. If I could run my car on coffee for example, that doesn't mean they could start charging fuel duty on it...?
Exactly how i was told jack, the tax has been paid for that given rate of the oil:thumb:

davidfox280585
30-01-11, 10:27 PM
this is from hm revenue site its a little hard to decript
basically says that its ok as long as the tax has been paid for the substitute(oil)
3.1.1 Duty rates for fuel substitutes

Fuel substitutes pay the rate of duty applicable to the type of engine in which they are used. For example, a product designed for use in a diesel engine will attract the diesel rate. With fuel substitutes, the duty rate is applied to the whole non-hydrocarbon oil content of the liquid. So, if a duty paid fuel substitute is added to another fuel substitute which is not duty paid, duty is due under Section 6A of HODA on that part of the mixture that has not already been charged with duty under that section.

db_1.2
30-01-11, 10:30 PM
Any particular oil? Lol.

Not sure I'll risk using it in my sprinter

davidfox280585
30-01-11, 10:35 PM
Any particular oil? Lol.

Not sure I'll risk using it in my sprinter
ive got a 50% used engine oil 50%diesel and its running lovely,will report how it starts from cold tomorrow morning,
its just used engine oil from servicing cars from my mate who works at a fastfit branch, i have been told nearly any oil is ok inc hydraulic oil though if its too thick its worth thinning down with a bit of unleaded or do a weaker mix:thumb:

MK999
30-01-11, 10:40 PM
I know what to do with the bucket of stuff I can't get rid of now! lol

davidfox280585
30-01-11, 10:47 PM
I know what to do with the bucket of stuff I can't get rid of now! lol
im being serious ive put it in the cav and it loves it,filter it though i filtered mine through a filter with a gauze into a 10ltr plastic jerry can and poured it in honestly there is no difference in running or smoke as its a controlled burn,

my mate reckoned it would smoke like mad and i argued,
when turbos blow and they run on there own oil thats oil being poured into the exhaust,oil being forced into the inlet in a uncontrolled manner while the engine is supplying enough derv to run at that speed so no wonder why they fill the motorway with smoke,
using it as a mix the engines only using the controlled amount of mix it needs to run at that speed and so doesnt smoke any different:thumb:
if you think of the physics around the fuel system it makes sense

ste porter
30-01-11, 10:48 PM
this is risky!

reason beeing is the same reason my waste oil burning heater had problems and had a habbit of exsploding if you wasnt careful
if you run it on oil you have drained and filtered then fair enough but the problem that ocours when running of other stuff is you dont know its pure oil!

water for example will result in not only it running rough but also can cause big problems on the long term (it was water in the oil that made me heater pop bang and explode) just think about what happens when you tip water on a chip pan fire food for though!

then you have other liquids pas fluid ect and dont be fooled thats not oil its a synthetic derivitive aswell as anti freeze spirits ect

running it on the stuff from a garge is a bad idea unless you drain it yourself.

and i cant see your cat beeing over happy with it among other parts

or the emissions test for the mot

but if you filter the oil and drain it yourself then in theorey it should run ok and the older the oil the better it will run as the chemical form of the oil will be more broken down and the carbon content lower ect same as the waste oil burning heaters
thing is with garages (worked in a few myself) every fluid in a car will be drained into one drain pan then pumped into a main disposal tank when full hense you have no idea whats in there

just food for thought thats all but if you get on ok good on you

bazil
30-01-11, 10:50 PM
Surly can be good for your car, At my work had a pug boxxer van in that was run on biodiesal and its f**ked, melted piston distroyed turbo twice so had a new engine and on its 3rd turbo now

someone got there mixing wrong lol, think top gear BMW britcar race,

ste porter
30-01-11, 10:50 PM
and it wont smoke if it burns hot enough (another waste oil burner tip there lol)

davidfox280585
30-01-11, 10:53 PM
this is risky!

reason beeing is the same reason my waste oil burning heater had problems and had a habbit of exsploding if you wasnt careful
if you run it on oil you have drained and filtered then fair enough but the problem that ocours when running of other stuff is you dont know its pure oil!

water for example will result in not only it running rough but also can cause big problems on the long term (it was water in the oil that made me heater pop bang and explode) just think about what happens when you tip water on a chip pan fire food for though!

then you have other liquids pas fluid ect and dont be fooled thats not oil its a synthetic derivitive aswell as anti freeze spirits ect

running it on the stuff from a garge is a bad idea unless you drain it yourself.

but if you filter the oil and drain it yourself then in theorey it should run ok and the older the oil the better it will run as the chemical form of the oil will be more broken down and the carbon content lower ect same as the waste oil burning heaters
thing is with garages (worked in a few myself) every fluid in a car will be drained into one drain pan then pumped into a main disposal tank when full hense you have no idea whats in there

just food for thought thats all but if you get on ok good on you

exactly right there ste,
my very very good friend is filling me the drums,he drains it straight from the car into a good bucket and pours it into my 25ltr drums via filtered gauze funnel,i have my own oil drain bucket for him to use so its all good and i filter it myself again before it goes in:thumb:

though as you mention water wont be good for it by any means and i wont use any from the main tank they have just the stuff direct from cars:thumb:

ste porter
30-01-11, 10:56 PM
should be all good then mate

Danny s-p
30-01-11, 10:58 PM
the isuzu's engined vauxhalls are the only one u can do it with as there bom proof my mam corsa 1'7 turbo ran for 6 years of it life on it and is still ran like that now by the new owner i thort it made it faster to be true

davidfox280585
31-01-11, 07:04 AM
started no problems today at -3

Stuart
31-01-11, 08:20 AM
DO NOT do this with a modern (read that as post 2000) Derv engine as it will most likely be common rail and the pump will die in minutes.

CR/PD dervs are designed to run on good old fashion NORMAL diesel.... anything else and they die.

mowgli
31-01-11, 10:40 AM
i think the tax issue on used engine oil as opposed to used chip oil is a bit sketchy & i think customs & excise would have a few things to say on it.

grooge
31-01-11, 10:58 AM
guy in the lockup next to me does something like this to run his tranny van sometimes and never had any problems. needs to be properly filtered though.

he also gets used oil from the kebab shop and has some sort of filtering machine he puts it in. he adds some additives to it and its good to go. the machine he has is quite big though and has a proper petrol pump like a garage would have.
he's used it for years and years and it costs him buttons, around a pound a gallon i think for the kebab shop oil including additives. he makes it for a few of his mates aswell.

my dad knows a lot about alternative fuels, he works for bp and they used to put different stuff in company vehicles, biodiesel mixes n that. i know his boss runs on used veg oil from chippys etc all year round but he has to do first and last 5 mins of a journey on standard diesel.

i've never listened to him that much on it though as i dont have a diesel and it wont work on his van so we cant use it.

oh and if you use used veg oil, the car smells of wherever its been though, ie the chippy, kebab shop etc

eddgsiturbo
31-01-11, 12:55 PM

yea had a 08 merc sprinter van in work, had thr same probs, its on 3rd engine and 3rd turbo, the main dealer did actually tell him that it would be fine on bio diesel aswell, and as soon as he started havin probs with it they washed there hands of it and said it shouldnt have been, but coz he never had it in writting there f all he can do. it has cost him a fortune.

mowgli
31-01-11, 12:59 PM
SIMPLE RULE.....

common rail diesels don't like biofuel or home made fuel......

considering an old bosch pump will accept filtered chip oil & let the engine run fine....... then most stuff will run ok thru it, but i really don't think used engine oil is anywhere remotely clean as an alternative fuel.

sr jack
31-01-11, 01:11 PM
doesnt used oil have a surtain amount of water in it?

Asa-James
31-01-11, 01:35 PM

Diesels don't really require Cats, and diesels have smoke tests, not actual emissions tests, so as long as it's no more smokey than normal it shOuldnt cause issues on test day

davidfox280585
31-01-11, 01:44 PM
well all i can say is im converted but is sickening me thinking of all the money ive spent over the years when i could have filled up with oil,hey id even pee in the tank if it would run

mowgli
31-01-11, 03:28 PM
considering all the crap that ends up in old engine oil, i'd be surprised if it passed any form of emissions test... it really is only fit for burning in a waste oil heater.

Stuart
31-01-11, 03:35 PM
Diesels don't really require Cats, and diesels have smoke tests, not actual emissions tests, so as long as it's no more smokey than normal it shOuldnt cause issues on test day

modernerererer Dervs run DPF's and sometimes cDPF's to aid the soot/badness emissions so some do run an equivalent of a cat.

davidfox280585
31-01-11, 04:25 PM
considering all the crap that ends up in old engine oil, i'd be surprised if it passed any form of emissions test... it really is only fit for burning in a waste oil heater.
I would put money on it passing as there isnt any excessive smoke at all infact no difference, i understand its not an ideal fuel source but we dont live in an ideal country, with high fuel prices if i run a 75%oil to 25% diesel mix im running for 32.5p a litre equal to £1.62 per gallon so in a 60 litre tank in a cavalier costs £19.50 to fill as opposed to £78 saving £58.50 every tank full which to me is worth a fuel filter every 2 month

MK999
31-01-11, 04:32 PM
modernerererer Dervs run DPF's and sometimes cDPF's to aid the soot/badness emissions so some do run an equivalent of a cat.

Even the late nova TD's and Corsa TD's ran a particulate filter.

davidfox280585
31-01-11, 04:45 PM
if it blocks it on the cav id knock the internals out and use it as normal lol, i will take it to my mates and get him to smoke test it on a mix and see

MK999
31-01-11, 04:46 PM
the one on my nova blocked up like an utter barsteward, new exhaust on there and it ran soooooo much better!

davidfox280585
31-01-11, 05:04 PM
might even take it out it doesnt need it for test,my bora passed without one

leemondo
06-03-11, 11:53 PM
I've been researching alternative fuels recently. I've started to construct my own biodiesel processor as I would much rather convert the fuel than convert the car to run on SVO. Well converted biodiesel will run in the majority of unmodified diesel engines so long as the outside temp is taken into consideration. In these cold months (down to -3) it is recommended to mix 20% normal diesel into the 80% bio and the engine will have zero problems burning the blend. It is true that Bosch pumps are superior when it comes to SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil or any filtered mineral oils added straight to the tank), but biodiesel is a higher spec level of alternative fuel and can be run in almost any diesel engine. Find a good biodiesel supplier and youcan save £££££ at the pump over time. To make the greatest savings, make your own biodiesel! Massive savings can be made with a bit of research, access to some professional garage equipment, (oxy acetylene and a mig welder) and a regular supply of waste veg oil. You can convert WVO to biodiesel yourself with the aid of a home made processor and settling tank!

Danny s-p
07-03-11, 01:00 AM
http://www.ehow.com/how_4673644_make-out-used-motor-oil.html this help me only good if you can get a good surply of old engine oil tho

Prey
09-03-11, 11:24 AM
Where's a good place to get the filters from for filtering the oil before mixing?

Ben
09-03-11, 01:20 PM
Where's a good place to get the filters from for filtering the oil before mixing?

old pair of tights will do.

I have knocked loads of cats out to pass mot's lol

Prey
09-03-11, 01:42 PM
Hmm need to get a move on with putting the corsa td on the road then - with the amount of oil changes i seem to have done recently i need to be doing this!

Danny s-p
09-03-11, 05:08 PM
Where's a good place to get the filters from for filtering the oil before mixing?ebay is were mine is coming from

Prey
09-03-11, 07:34 PM
ebay is were mine is coming from

Got a link at all lol?

mowgli
09-03-11, 08:17 PM
just get an old CAV 296 type off an old tractor or plant machine, or even a new one.. they are dead cheap & the elements are pence each, then just feed a funnel with a gauze & small pipe into one end, and link the other end into a 5 gallon drum. it might be slow, but it will do a good job of filtering.. the 296 also has a water trap glass bowl
http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!BbJWiswB2k~$(KGrHqQOKjgEq45Q)lW7BKunHnmwy!~~_12.J PGeg.