PDA

View Full Version : Diff talk....

Mike
30-01-11, 11:47 AM
Before I go buy one I need some more education on the subject....

We're looking at mainly drag & track use but will be competeting at Loton hill climb too.

peester
30-01-11, 12:19 PM
best to avoid plate diffs.. need setting and servicing from time to time..
Youll want a fit and forget really wont ya.
Quaiffe best bet.
http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qdf7b-3

Dan
30-01-11, 05:53 PM
quaife for mainly road use with occasional fun, Plate diff for everything else.

I've never been a great fan of the quaife design for what i use my cars for, there good, just no good for my tastes. Also having had a couple of guys off here have quaifes and then having driven mine in anger the conversion to plate has been swift in some cases lol.

The 'hassle' is only as much as you make of it. For a car i deem as a toy, wasting 20-30 minutes dropping the diff out then spending 40 odd quid getting it sorted, then 2 days later spending another 30 odd minutes putting it back in i see no problem. Its not something you will be doing very often. Generally people that havent lived with them on a daily basis expect it to be something you do every other week which isnt the case. (just a sweeping comment, no offence intended :) )

Its horse for courses end of the day. Ive experienced both and the 'hassle' of the plate diff is more than worth it imo

MARTIN KELSON
30-01-11, 07:27 PM
What you going to be doing at Loton Park?
Only up the road & normally take Nova for a drive couple of times a year. You will have to let us know when your up there & will come for a nosey.

Mike
30-01-11, 07:28 PM
What you going to be doing at Loton Park?
Only up the road & normally take Nova for a drive couple of times a year. You will have to let us know when your up there & will come for a nosey.

Will be doing the hillclimb course Martin :) which is ironic as its partly uphill lol lol

MARTIN KELSON
30-01-11, 07:33 PM
Yea I know that!!!

What I meant was in what class & in what car!!

Mike
30-01-11, 07:35 PM
Yea I know that!!!

What I meant was in what class & in what car!!

Oooooh lol lol

Not entierly sure tbh Martin as its not built yet, road car class (if they have such class?) 2000cc N/A FWD.

Probably have to enter class A or B I think: http://www.hdlcc.com/images/uploaded/5336461_4332647.pdf

MARTIN KELSON
30-01-11, 07:42 PM
I'am surprised when I have been to watch there are some totally standard road cars running, don't know what class, but there was no modifications other than timing beam 'thingy' up front.
Focus RS & Cossie's etc

Mike
30-01-11, 07:43 PM
Oh yeah, you can turn up in any car, even a totally standard hire car, pay your £175, sit the breifing & go down the course like.

Although they do have some right good machinery turn up from time to time!

phunkynova
30-01-11, 08:08 PM
Its plate if you want full on traction or atb if your only doing the odd event and manly road stuff.
Yes plate diff do need looking after but they are not so bad.