PDA

View Full Version : Twin 40s

Gazza14SR
10-06-03, 09:23 PM
Could some on please help me?

I need to know everything that I will need in order to fit twin 40s to my 1.4sr and have it running sweet.

Thanks very much for your time and efforts.

Regards

Gaz

mikeoxford
10-06-03, 09:29 PM
standard 1.4 sr? no other mods?

well firstly before you even consider it, if you keeping the 14SR head, it has square ports, and square ports manifolds are hard to come by in my experience

hence why i got a 1.6 manifold and a b+ head :twisted:

so.

either find yourself a manifold, or consider changing your head.

other than that, you need 40s, alternator lowering brackets, smaller alt belt. and thats about it methinks.

go onto nova-land.com under engine there is a guide about nova sport pack, ahev a look what came with that, its simnilar i guess, but your fitting it to a 1.l4, only difference you will find is the manifold port shape.

the key point to getting them working correctly on your car is the jetting sizes and choke sizes.

Gazza14SR
10-06-03, 09:44 PM
I dont know if this would make any difference to my parts list but before i had the car the women who had it previously had a manual choke fitted. ATM theres a weber 32/34 and ave got a K&N bolt on filter. Also a powerflow stainless exhaust system.

So i need to get a gsi or gte manifold?

Thanks for your help, will i need to change anythin after stating the above?

Thanks again

Gaz

mikeoxford
10-06-03, 09:50 PM
no you need a twin 40 manifold with suqare ports

suitable for a 1.2 singlepoint injection model or the 1.4 you have.

out of you list the only thing you MAY use is the exhaust system as it has no relation to carbs whatsoever

and also the choke cable and knob if you connect the choke on the 40s up, but no1 bothers as its not required.

you will need new sock or panel filters

the k&n no good

Gazza14SR
10-06-03, 09:54 PM
if i went to my local scrappy what car would i be lookin for to get the manifold?

sorry for the dumb Q's just dont wanna get anythin wrong. :oops:

Thanks

Will
10-06-03, 10:54 PM
scrappy = a no no for this kinda thing, demon tweaks sell new manifolds, or search rally spares sites for 2nd hand goods

Gazza14SR
10-06-03, 11:00 PM
For all the parts needed how much do you think it might come to approx.

Thanks alot.

Gaz

Tazzy
11-06-03, 02:26 AM
how much would all this be costing?

Jules
11-06-03, 09:10 AM
You will need :-

Inlet manifold (Must be specificly for twin 40's for your 1.4) -
Approx ?150 - ?200 if you can find one, PMC do some for 1.6's (Not sure if they do them for 1.4) but they aren't the best quality as I found out.

Twin 40's -
Approx ?200+ depending on condition etc etc, Probably a good idea to rebuilt them before fitting them, if you don't know the history of them.

Nova Throttle linkage and cable (if it doesn't come with the 40's) -
Look at Demon Tweeks for prices

Alternator lowering bracket and 'sport' spec alternator bracket arm -
No idea on how much they will cost, the lowering bracket came with the inlet manifold that I got from PMC, again it looked cheap and nasty so I just used the original 'Sport' one that came on the car when I bought it, No idea where you'll get the extended 'Sport' spec alternator bracket arm from though (It's the arm that the alternator slides up and down on when you adjust the alt belt) these are longer than normal on T40 Novas as the alternator is moved further away from the head, maybe you could get the standard one extended by someone who could weld 2 together?

Inlet manifold gasket -
Probably a couple of quid from Vauxhall

Short alternator belt -
Motor factors, no idea what one you'd need, all I did was to use a piece of string to get a rough size of belt I'd need then spent ages in my local motor factors looking at all different belts until I found the nearest one.

Trumpets, Air filters / socks -
You might need some intake trumpets if the 40's don't come with any, again look at Demon Tweeks for prices and also some kind of air filter or 4 socks, I used a Pipercross foam filter for my 40's which was about ?50 at the time but I had to cut the baseplate to fit as it was a blank.

Hour or two on a rolling road -
The 40's will most likely be jetted for a 1.3 or 1.6 if they came from a Nova so you'll need to go to a rolling road carb tuner who will be able to set the 40's up correctly for your 1.4

My opinion would be that for a 1.4 it wouldn't really be worth it, there's a reason why not many people fit 40's to 1.4's and that's because, like Mike said, the heads aren't that good.
The most cost effective way to getting 40's on your car will probably be to buy a set of 40's jetted for a 1.3 or 1.6 and then build the engine to match. Try and get as many pieces to go with the 40's as you can when you buy them (e.g brackets, linkages etc etc).

Good luck!!!

Will
11-06-03, 09:33 AM
very well said m8, all your answers are above allthough from that theres another peice of kit i need :(

I have inlet manifold, linkage, 40s all as one unit :D

Getting Belt and bracket made up np

But a different arm, thats news to me........ DOH

One day!!

cornish
11-06-03, 01:36 PM
I think i'd disagree on some of your prices there Jules.

If you look in the sticky thread with FAQ's in at the top of the page you'll see the post about tuning the 1400 engine, theres a post by me which shows the prices i paid for parts when i built my 1400 on 40's.

You can pick up a good set of 40's for around ?150 with all anciliries.

Just keep an eye on the usual forums, here, migweb etc..

Have a look in there Gazza as its pretty useful.

cornish
11-06-03, 01:54 PM
Heres a link to the 'tuning a 1400' topic:

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66762

Novanutta; it's worthwhile reading this thread on Mig if your fitting the 40's:

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82225

Here's pic of the 40's that i should be buying on Sunday at PV:

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=1104

Hope this helps :)

Gazza14SR
11-06-03, 08:17 PM
Thanks very much for all your help, u guys have been excellent.

Cheers

Gaz

Tazzy
11-06-03, 08:46 PM
i thought the twin carbs stuck up at an angle?

what does DCOE stand for?

jatinder
11-06-03, 09:31 PM
ive got twin forties for sale if you want them?

Tazzy
12-06-03, 12:48 AM
for 1.3 or 1.4? have you got the manifold as well?

jatinder
12-06-03, 09:35 AM
no mainfold but they were off a 1.3 sr i was given the by my uncle but then bought an sri instead so need for them