PDA

View Full Version : 3 Door Whore

mk1nova_rich
29-01-11, 04:41 PM
My latest purchase lol most of you will have already seen this car on the forum, but after seeing Daz buy the
brown saloon I enquired about it, went to view it and agreed a price...

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/Mk2Estate.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/Mk2Estate2.jpg

Sorry for nicking your pics Daz!! I forgot my camera as I was in a rush :( was hoping to get some decent pics of it sat on a set of GTE teardrops

If you get chance to rep madogdaz666 for me please do, not only did he get a mate to deliver the car but also managed to source me some smallblock
shafts and legs :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
29-01-11, 04:48 PM
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0041.jpg

Plans are to re-fit a smallblock for insurance reasons, so I wasted no time getting on with it as
soon as it was in the garage. Only got the rear mount bolted up so far as I forgot to get the
gearbox side bracket off Daz and I will have to source the engine side bracket. Does anyone if a
Mk3 bracket is the same? Going to have a hunt round local scrappers tomorrow :)

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0042.jpg

Bit of a crap side shot of the Teardrop alloys, can't wait to get the engine sat in properly to
lower it fully, which brings us to....

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0040.jpg

Clearance issues on the sloped drive into the garage lol

I have already got the smallblock driveshafts and legs but will have to swap the springs and
inserts before I can fit them. That is all for now :)

ryansnova
29-01-11, 05:25 PM
looks nice lol

mk1nova_rich
29-01-11, 05:29 PM
Cheers, hoping to have it on the road in less than 3 weeks cos thats when the MOT on my current daily is up lol

Rob
29-01-11, 06:36 PM
awsome :thumb: are the mo,s for sale ;) oh and are you interested in a strut brace got one here off my old mk2

ryansnova
29-01-11, 06:41 PM
not looking to biy but how much are a set of thay wheels 2nd hand mate because thay are sweet lol talking about the mo,s lol

mk1nova_rich
29-01-11, 07:06 PM
I bought the car without the MOs so if you interested you need to PM maddogdaz666 about them :thumb:

ryansnova
29-01-11, 07:45 PM
i dont want to biy them i was just wondering how much thay would be :)

mk1nova_rich
29-01-11, 09:10 PM
awsome :thumb: are the mo,s for sale ;) oh and are you interested in a strut brace got one here off my old mk2

possibly later, but at the minute its just a quick cheap project to use as a daily driver so I'm just doing the essentials for now :thumb:

peester
29-01-11, 09:35 PM
wicked .. aint seen one of these round our parts for a good while now

mk1nova_rich
29-01-11, 09:37 PM
I vaguely remember them from being a kid, saw a 5 door estate a few months back and saw an Astravan some time early last year but as soon as Nobby showed this on the forum I wanted it lol just didn't have the cash at the time so I was glad it was brought up north! Proper retro interior, can't wait to have it on the road :thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
29-01-11, 11:54 PM
Good buy IMO

maddogdaz666
30-01-11, 04:46 PM
:d i cant wait to see it on the road!

mk1nova_rich
30-01-11, 06:21 PM
Well a bit of an unproductive day today...Daz brought me the gearbox side bracket this morning
so I was hoping I would get the engine fully bolted in today but no such luck :(

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0043.jpg

With the engine lift and a trolley jack underneath we got the engine and gearbox lined up where
they should be (the rear mount is fully bolted up) and the aforementioned bracket bolted up to
the gearbox casing...assuming that this would now line up with the mount. It lines up horizontally
but vertically is about 30mm out if this makes sense, as if the engine needs pushing back but this
would then make it misaligned the other way then :confused: Shown in the picture below anyway...

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0045.jpg

mk1nova_rich
30-01-11, 06:29 PM
I still need the engine side bracket but for now I'm going to make it work with a Nova bracket, as
thats what the engine is from anyway.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0044.jpg

Thankfully the holes in the mount and bracket line up as you can see in the picture but there is a
30mm gap in between, so the plan tomorrow is to make up a spacer block at work to go between the
mount and bracket, and find some longer bolts. I'm also going to re-drill the gearbox side bracket.
I know this sounds a pikey way of doing it but I'm positive that the engine is sat in the right place,
I'm just totally lost as to why the gearbox bracket doesn't line up :confused: Any info or advice would be
greatly appreciated!! :d So fingers crossed the engine will be bolted in tomorrow night... :roll:

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0046.jpg

Just a quick interior pic, sorry for crap light. It was taken inside the garage

MK1_Ben
30-01-11, 06:34 PM
Looks proper tidy inside :)

mk1nova_rich
30-01-11, 06:35 PM
Fair bit of wear on the driver's bolster but pretty tidy inside :) I will get some decent pics once the car is back outside, which isn't happening until it moves under its own steam lol

Nobby
31-01-11, 06:41 PM
Sure I've seen this before?

mk1nova_rich
31-01-11, 06:54 PM
Engine is finally in!! :roll:lol

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0047.jpg

As mentioned earlier the gearbox bracket wasn't lining up right so I took it to work today and re-
drilled the holes 25mm further back. This also meant having to remove a section of the
strengthening plate but no big deal. I also drilled a 30mm spacer for the engine side to go between
the Nova bracket and mount. Below is a picture of the engine side fully bolted up with some longer
M10 Allen bolts.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0048.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0049.jpg

And a picture with the engine fully bolted in, eventually!! As I was still a tad unsure that it was in
the right place I dummy fitted one of the driveshafts and it is right so I'm happy. The only niggle
is the cambelt end of the engine is sitting ever so slightly higher than the other but this may be
addressed later if it proves to be a problem :d

While I was trial fitting the shaft I had a good look under the arches etc, and I can't get over how
clean this shell is :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
31-01-11, 06:56 PM
Sure I've seen this before?

Quite possibly lol cheers for helping sort the logbook out :thumb:

Southie
31-01-11, 07:42 PM
Looking good mate, I've not seen one on the road for ages now.

Keep going though I'm looking forward to a 1.2 blast in it lol

Edit: Would look good with a gte front end IMO ;)

mk1nova_rich
31-01-11, 07:50 PM
Would look good with a gte front end IMO ;)

Say goodbye to a ride in it now!!! :eek: :eek: lol lol how many Mk2 Astras do you see with the early type bumper?! No way am I changing it, its staying a retro motor :p

Southie
31-01-11, 08:07 PM
How many estates do you see with a gte front end though :p

Balls to the ride then, spoil sport :(

mk1nova_rich
31-01-11, 08:08 PM
Hmmm I will think about it, I do have clear indicators and GTE side skirts... ;)

Fancy a trip down to the Spares Day then Dave? See what I can pick up for the Astra lol

Southie
31-01-11, 08:17 PM
Could do Rich, what date is it? At least you'll be able to get plenty in the back :d

mk1nova_rich
31-01-11, 08:27 PM
Sunday 13th March, Thread (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162061&page=2&highlight=vboa) about it here :) I take no responsibility if we end up stranded on the M1 lol lol

Nobby
31-01-11, 09:37 PM
Engine is finally in!! :roll:lol

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0047.jpg

As mentioned earlier the gearbox bracket wasn't lining up right so I took it to work today and re-
drilled the holes 25mm further back. This also meant having to remove a section of the
strengthening plate but no big deal. I also drilled a 30mm spacer for the engine side to go between
the Nova bracket and mount. Below is a picture of the engine side fully bolted up with some longer
M10 Allen bolts.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0048.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/Astra%20Estate/DSCF0049.jpg

And a picture with the engine fully bolted in, eventually!! As I was still a tad unsure that it was in
the right place I dummy fitted one of the driveshafts and it is right so I'm happy. The only niggle
is the cambelt end of the engine is sitting ever so slightly higher than the other but this may be
addressed later if it proves to be a problem :d

While I was trial fitting the shaft I had a good look under the arches etc, and I can't get over how
clean this shell is :thumb:
As I said to daz mate I did the welding that was needed for the not bar the nsr arch under the bumper the only other bits were the nsr chassis rail which was solid but scabby behind the headlamps were abit scabby but I 80gritted the rust and hannerited them

mk1nova_rich
31-01-11, 09:39 PM
Yeh mate I've seen the patches that have been welded, they are starting to surface rust so I'm gona wire brush them all and etch prime them then Hammerite over top

maddogdaz666
31-01-11, 11:58 PM
is it running yet?

mk1nova_rich
02-02-11, 08:07 PM
is it running yet?

Not yet, it was just a flying visit after work to get the engine bolted in so I could take the engine hoist
back to work. Won't be doing any more til Saturday now but hopefully will spend most of the day on it :d

Need to pick my old 4 branch exhaust manifold up sometime this week and go get a throttle cable off Damo
and then start getting everything into place!

Nobby
03-02-11, 08:04 PM
ive posted the V5 pal :thumb:

maddogdaz666
03-02-11, 09:19 PM
thats why i couldnt find it! lol

mk1nova_rich
03-02-11, 10:08 PM
ive posted the V5 pal :thumb:

Cheers pal, I assume you sent it off with my details on?! lol

mk1nova_rich
03-02-11, 10:11 PM
Been to pick a throttle cable up off Damo tonight so that will be going on at the weekend. While we are on the topic of cables....

The 1.2 has a manual choke, and I have a Nova choke cable somewhere which I can fit but where would I fit this in the car? Would I get pulled on the MOT for having it cable tied in somewhere??? lol

maddogdaz666
03-02-11, 10:14 PM
does it not go in the same place as it does in a nova? at the right hand side of the steering column just below the clocks.

mk1nova_rich
03-02-11, 10:17 PM
I can't remember to be honest, originally it probably had auto-choke at a guess...I'm sure I'll manage to sort sumat out. Pikey style as always :d

Nobby
03-02-11, 10:43 PM
thats why i couldnt find it! lol

ye mate i thought either the wfe had sent it off or binned it but i found it in with the nova v5 u gave me lo

Nobby
03-02-11, 10:44 PM
I can't remember to be honest, originally it probably had auto-choke at a guess...I'm sure I'll manage to sort sumat out. Pikey style as always :d

ye mate had your details on, it did have a autochoke but isnt there a grommet to the left of the streering wheel for a choke cable?

mk1nova_rich
06-02-11, 06:56 PM
Not much of an update as I didn't take my camera with me this weekend but...

Fitted the 4 branch manifold so when I can get the car out of the garage I can get the front pipe
modified to suit as its a Nova manifold lol

Managed to get the driver's side leg swapped and the long driveshaft fitted, but going to have to
order some new track rod ends as I got a tad impatient with getting them off, and stuck the grinder
through them lol

Still need to fit the 256mm brakes before I re-fit the wheel and get the car back on the floor to do
the other side as space if very limited in the garage :(

Most of the work I've done today has been tidying up in the engine bay. All the coolant hoses
except for the top one are fitted, the clutch and speedo cables are in, The wiring is all done except
for the coolant temp sensor and the coil.

I picked two throttle cables up off Damo other night hoping one of them would fit... buts sods law
the SPi one is too short and the GSi one is too long :mad: so I will be shortening the GSi one by an inch
or so at work this week :thumb:

13 days to have it on the road before my Corsa's MOT runs out!!

maddogdaz666
06-02-11, 09:07 PM
if u need a hand just give me a shout bud, i still havnt done this corsa yet lol but if ur at the garage on the weekend an its rainin i wont be doin the corsa, so ill be free to lend a hand

mk1nova_rich
07-02-11, 05:20 PM
if u need a hand just give me a shout bud, i still havnt done this corsa yet lol but if ur at the garage on the weekend an its rainin i wont be doin the corsa, so ill be free to lend a hand

Cheers for the offer mate :) garage is seriously cramped though, the Astra is right up to the cupboards on one side and barely enough room to work at the other...gona have fun trying to fit the leg and shaft on the passenger side lol

maddogdaz666
15-02-11, 06:51 PM
u got it runnin yet then? Any updates!?

mk1nova_rich
15-02-11, 06:54 PM
Waiting for the battery to charge lol hopefully will have it running by this weekend, the engine is in the wrong place
though lol, needs moving to the driver's side by 10-15mm as the short shaft have absolutely no give in whatsoever
and the balljoint won't quite fit in the hub :( apart from that all the shafts/legs/256mm brakes are fitted along with
new track rod ends.

Going to make some more spacers for the engine mounts at work tomorrow and shorten the Nova GSi throttle cable
by an inch or so :thumb:

maddogdaz666
15-02-11, 07:16 PM
cool :thumb: so mot at the weekend then? Whens the corsa run out? Must be close now!

mk1nova_rich
15-02-11, 07:19 PM
Corsa runs out this Saturday, just put it up in Cars For Sale lol, if its not this weekend it will definitely be weekend after :d just needs coil wiring in, all rest of wiring is sorted I think, just battery was duff when I tried it

Nobby
17-02-11, 08:04 PM
iirc the ignition + that you need for the coil is a black wire single plug that i cut off the calibra loom same one you use for a xe

mk1nova_rich
17-02-11, 09:30 PM
iirc the ignition + that you need for the coil is a black wire single plug that i cut off the calibra loom same one you use for a xe

Yeh I guessed it must be that, as it has the green wire next to it :thumb: hopefully everything else is right then once the coil is wired in
tomorrow night then it should be good to start...

Been down to the garage after work to get a few bits done, fitted the throttle cable which I shortened at work today and spaced the
engine over to the driver's side which has sorted the driveshaft/balljoint issue mentioned earlier. Sorted the fuel lines and radiator top
hose out too so not much left now :d Going to book MOT for a week on Saturday (26th)

boffer8
18-02-11, 10:23 PM
Nice project rich, good progress too venturing of the nova/corsa road ;)

P.S Got a nice k&n in my shed rich originally off the first incarnation of my 1.2 ;)

mk1nova_rich
21-02-11, 08:45 PM
Cheers Ben, if you or John call it a ****ing ******* pissing Belmont once more I'll kill the pair of you lol lol

How much do you want for the filter anyway?

boffer8
21-02-11, 09:16 PM
2 on 1, hmmm fancy our chances here ;)

I dunno is it going to fit? its the vertical 3 stud type, Make me an offer ;)

mk1nova_rich
21-02-11, 09:21 PM
2 on 1, hmmm fancy our chances here ;)

I dunno is it going to fit? its the vertical 3 stud type, Make me an offer ;)

Yeh but its only you two lol :p

Any chance of measuring the bore? I can always re-drill it to suit. Hopefully getting a standard airbox on Wednesday so will put that on for now