PDA

View Full Version : A few xe nova related questions :)

steviegsi
28-01-11, 09:50 PM
How much should I chop off the heater pipe coming out of the bulk head?

What should I use to hook up the engine to my engine crane to lift it in then out? When I removed the engine from the donor car I used ropes wrapped round the whole engine as I wanted it out that night. I know this isn't ideal but I haven't a clue how it should be done!

pikey1986
28-01-11, 10:12 PM
old seat belts are good from what ive been told as for heater pipes i aint got a clue as im ditching all my heaters lol

steviegsi
28-01-11, 10:31 PM
lol erm.... Fnck that ! Although if I cut it back too much for a pipe to fit I'll pretend 'steamed up windows' and no heater was my idea.

My mate suggested seat belts, but are the hooks/brackets at each side of the rocker cover not for lifting with?

pikey1986
28-01-11, 10:39 PM
i want to say yes but im doing my first conversion so cant say for sure lol

steviegsi
28-01-11, 10:44 PM
My first too lol

Southie
28-01-11, 10:56 PM
I've heard of people lifting the shell over the engine as it's easier and use decent chain to loft it up.

steviegsi
28-01-11, 11:27 PM
That's the way I've been doing it too.... I've just a fear of my tow ropes snapping and the engine and box dropping to the floor!

I remember seeing in a project thread somewhere on here someone using thick wire with little hooks each end. But I don't know what to ask for/ where to buy it etc.

I'll go round the motor factors tomorrow and see what is recomended. Might have to buy a load leveller for the crane.

db_1.2
28-01-11, 11:30 PM
I've heard of people lifting the shell over the engine as it's easier and use decent chain to loft it up.

That's the way I've done it before now. I'd say it must be the easiest way by far.

There is a guide somewhere on the web, a proper picture guide I mean.

davidfox280585
28-01-11, 11:30 PM
get some chains from b and q or hardware shop and some little d link clamps,
i left about 1cm on the matrix(it is the passenger side you need to cut,my hose bent straight away aswell when on the matrix to avoid rubbing

steviegsi
28-01-11, 11:37 PM
Will have a wee nosey tomorrow . Would I be right that the looped bracket things on bottom left and the top right of the head are for lifting the engine?

Southie
28-01-11, 11:45 PM
Something like this is what you need >LINK (http://www.atsite.co.uk/p-9551-draper-engine-crane-chain-450kg-maximum-load.aspx?affiliateID=10050)<

steviegsi
28-01-11, 11:59 PM
That is what I was thinking of ! Cheers mate!

vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Southie again.