PDA

View Full Version : Faulty glow plug, most likely written off engine

MK999
26-01-11, 07:35 PM
As title, what are my chances of kicking up a storm and getting it fixed/replaced by NGK? Tip of a brand new glow plug (6 starts maximum) broke upon starting, it's the correct plug as it was looked up by numberplate/chassis number by the motor factors, no damage to the rest of them from impacts etc... all look perfect bar 1 that's got half of itself munching through my piston/head.

Must be a manufacturing fault?

AlexW
26-01-11, 07:43 PM
I doubt they would be of any help, Would argue the old "Not installed by a professional" and thus argue that you fitted it wrong and caused it, somehow lol

MK999
26-01-11, 07:47 PM
yeah just reading about similar on the net, Bosch have a legal team purely for fighting off these cases in court apparently :tard:

Bull**** though! Obviously a faulty part, other 3 are perfect (and therefore installed correctly no?) and I'm left with a bollocks'd engine because their legal team gets paid better than their QC department.

AlexW
27-01-11, 12:35 AM
Unfortunately **** all you can do. Can understand why your ****ed off though :(

Jack
27-01-11, 11:09 AM
Ebay > isuzu 1700TD engine > purchase > fit > win.

MK999
27-01-11, 11:56 AM
Well went down to the motor factors and NGK do actually have a warranty process for this, offered to take my old plugs in as well to compare the marks on them from spray patterns etc and noticed as I was cleaning an old one up to send back it says 11v... checked my glow plug rail with a multimeter and it's supplying just above 11v. Now I checked my plate with vauxhall before it happened to order them and the V5 for an engine no after it happened to make sure they were the right plugs, and both of those confirm 5v plugs.

I went through the history I got with the car to look for any replacements that might affect it, and one stuck being just over £1,000... turns out it's had a replacement engine in 06 that was never logged, which explains the corsa particulate filter on the front of the exhaust too as the 11v plugs only came on one year of 1.5td corsa, may also explain my alternator issues as I believe the corsa would have had a charge relay, although it doesn't explain how it worked fine before it was repaired.

So basically it was my fault for not cleaning up the plugs and double checking them before I put them in :( Didn't exactly think of the doddery old couple that had it doing an engine swap though :tard: I'm guessing it's snapped from being severely overheated, very odd though as they normally melt if they're the wrong plugs, which is what has made me think it's faulty.

1700 isn't as easy a conversion as people make out Jack, Count Vaux has a replacement 1.5td for me though, its just finding time to do it, I was rushing back to uni last minute after fixing a load of problems on the car.