PDA

View Full Version : C20xe alternator issue..

auzzy-b
26-01-11, 07:15 PM
I have just fitted a new alt. Started the engine up with a battery pack.. after a minute or two the clocks start to dim, go off, engine starts juddering then gone? There is then a crazy clicking noose that sounds as if it's coming from behind the glove box area?
Can anyone help it's confusing me:confused:

nova_saloon
26-01-11, 07:43 PM
Clicking noise or roasting wires mmmm. Thete are no relays over there. May be a jumping connection from broken wirces. but its only six screws take the glove box out! And have a link. Check grouding wires and if yoi have central locking unplug it

Jeff16v
26-01-11, 07:44 PM
What earth do you have on the alternator? Did you disconnect jump pack straight away?

auzzy-b
26-01-11, 08:01 PM
I disconnected the pack after roughly 30secs. The alt is earthed at the alt bracket. On the back of the alt i have the blue and White wire going to the small nut, red to + larger nut, and the little box (regulator/relay?) to the live. Thats how i was told to wire it is this correct?
Just had a look and I think the clicking has something to do with the alarm, I have also lost sound when locking/opening it! No beeps?

nova_saloon
26-01-11, 08:16 PM
Clifford? Try g5 g5 unlock and see what happens about the beep

auzzy-b
26-01-11, 09:42 PM
It's a toad ai606 I think? G5 g5?

auzzy-b
26-01-11, 10:14 PM
I have just had the voltmeter on the car-
When stood (not running) the batterie reads 11.59
When running it reads 10.4 whilst slowly dropping until it cuts out?
Also tried the batterie live terminal and earthed it at the alts earth whilst stood and that again read 11.9

Saloony
26-01-11, 10:25 PM
Have you got a battery light? Does it work?

Jeff16v
26-01-11, 11:01 PM
Oddly I have a problem with my turbo, if it idles the battery drains, when I rev it once till boost the alternator tone changes and it then starts charging normally.

w88rdy
26-01-11, 11:30 PM
Alternators not working mate when running, you should have 13 or 14 v when its running roughly.

Auzzy do you have a earth strap onto the alternator bracket as well as the braket to the block? The bracket has a rubber in it i believe so will only charge when its tagged to the engine itself iirc

h9scw
26-01-11, 11:40 PM
Alternators not working mate when running, you should have 13 or 14 v when its running roughly.

Auzzy do you have a earth strap onto the alternator bracket as well as the braket to the block? The bracket has a rubber in it i believe so will only charge when its tagged to the engine itself iirc

Yep, 13-14v, but a knackered cell on the battery will emulate signs of a goosed alternator....poor charge hold, low battery voltage etc. Have you had the battery tested?

comptoncj
26-01-11, 11:40 PM
I have had problems in the past when fitting a new alternator, when the battery is flat and you jump it and take the leads off it kills the alternator because its trying to work so hard because the battery is flat.

auzzy-b
27-01-11, 09:49 AM

I have the earth strap on the alt bracket (bolt through the alt) its then connected to the bolt that's bolts to the head.. But at the top of the bolt just under the hex head.. Are you suing it needs to be at th base of the rubber bushes?

auzzy-b
27-01-11, 09:51 AM
Yep, 13-14v, but a knackered cell on the battery will emulate signs of a goosed alternator....poor charge hold, low battery voltage etc. Have you had the battery tested?
Te battery was brand new a couple of months ago and hasn't been moved since fixed into the car. Was working fine when fitted.

auzzy-b
27-01-11, 09:55 AM
I have had problems in the past when fitting a new alternator, when the battery is flat and you jump it and take the leads off it kills the alternator because its trying to work so hard because the battery is flat.
I thought this could be a problem? So I'm going to give the battery a good charge over nite and then re test it tomorrow

auzzy-b
28-01-11, 06:48 PM
Rite just had another go at this..
Charged the battery over nite, retested it with the voltmeter whilst the engine was running and it reads 12.31. Not enough I know!
The wired thing is when I rev the engine it drops to 12.28? Surely it should be the other way around lol
Bust alternator? Or could it be something else

auzzy-b
30-01-11, 07:17 PM
Can someone let me know I definitely have the alt wired correctly or if I have missed anything?
This is my old unit which is basically the same layout as the new one I have fitted
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/austen-b/1816a773.jpg