PDA

View Full Version : MOT time!!

breadstraw
25-01-11, 07:47 PM
hey guys
its nearly MOT for the very poorly nova
i'm just wondering if there is a difference between normal car MOTS and van MOTS
as i've seen A LOT of vans with silly amounts of rust and other things i would expect a car to fail on

any help would be great :)

mk1nova_rich
25-01-11, 08:03 PM
http://www.motester.co.uk/CarOwnersGuidetoTheMOT/WhatIsTested.aspx

have a read through this :thumb:

7ova
25-01-11, 08:19 PM
my 1988 SR just been in for its MOT,
no problems,

breadstraw
25-01-11, 08:20 PM
7ova don't rub it in
mines so not going to pass legally :(

7ova
25-01-11, 08:24 PM
sorry mate,
what's your problem with the car?

Pistol Pete
25-01-11, 09:02 PM
If you know its poorly and its not going to pass, why take it for an MOT?? Sort it then get it tested!

Damo
25-01-11, 09:08 PM
If you know its poorly and its not going to pass, why take it for an MOT?? Sort it then get it tested!

Common sense prevails. ^^^^

Lewis.
25-01-11, 09:19 PM
It's the same test for cars and vans mate. difference is, say you have a car with rotten outer sills, it will fail as they are structural. thjen you have a van with rottne outer sills, it will pass, as they are not as it has a separate chassis. (so long as it os not rotten withon 300mm of a body mounting/suspension mounting/seatbelt mounting etc

because if you spend lots of time and money welding up your car, then it fails on £x hundred worth of other things, you might think sod it, i'll scrap it, and waste all your hard work.
we get this all the time at work, folk saying they have already spent hundreds on this that and the other, we test it, and then find its got terminal rot. lol

brainsnova
25-01-11, 09:22 PM
I just make sure all the tyres are good and all the lights work them assume it will fail then you have a check list to complete.

Lewis.
25-01-11, 09:24 PM
I just make sure all the tyres are good and all the lights work them assume it will fail then you have a check list to complete.

/\ this :thumb:

Pistol Pete
25-01-11, 09:25 PM
because if you spend lots of time and money welding up your car, then it fails on £x hundred worth of other things, you might think sod it, i'll scrap it, and waste all your hard work.
we get this all the time at work, folk saying they have already spent hundreds on this that and the other, we test it, and then find its got terminal rot. lol

If a car is that bad, then the thing should be scrapped!!

breadstraw
26-01-11, 05:01 PM
Cheers guys
Least I now knows there's not really any difference
And yeah my plan is to not touch any of it until I get a lovely fail list
and then go from there as I don't see the point in pouring hundreds into it to find it only needs a few simple things sorting :)

7ova
26-01-11, 08:27 PM
good luck fella,
let us know how you get on???????????

Nova00
30-01-11, 08:50 AM
we get this all the time at work, folk saying they have already spent hundreds on this that and the other, we test it, and then find its got terminal rot. lol[/quote]

in your experience which bits do you regard as terminal for MOT purposes ? any remmendation how to prevent if not too late !