PDA

View Full Version : Wtf!

NovaLad
25-01-11, 02:04 PM
It's £1500 to insure a redtop corsa and £1700 to insure a 1.2 Nova.

Can't a company give me some figures that make sence!

Stuart
25-01-11, 02:40 PM
its all based on write off/accident statistics for the gender/age/location etc...

Just seems to happen that 1.2 novas are involved in more/higher cost accidents than redtop corsas for your age/gender/location lol

Danny s-p
25-01-11, 02:47 PM
you no what to do then go out and get a gay egg with a red top bottle of milk sat in the engine bay lol

Andy
25-01-11, 04:13 PM
its all based on write off/accident statistics for the gender/age/location etc...

Just seems to happen that 1.2 novas are involved in more/higher cost accidents than redtop corsas for your age/gender/location lol
obviously....no fukker declares them at his age :roll:

ryansnova
25-01-11, 04:52 PM
because 1.2s are better to hell with your redtops lol

Yorkie
25-01-11, 06:36 PM
Novas are proberly alot easier to steal too than a corsa, not that iv tried but its not hard getting into them.

Jack
25-01-11, 09:56 PM
Not hard getting into a Corsa either!

Also bear in mind its a lot easier to get parts for Corsas - I would guess that most parts are still dealer-available at "reasonable" cost, or most certainly available in the pattern market. Also the resale values of Novas is generally higher than Corsas - a poverty spec L reg 1.2 Corsa will be worth what, £200? Where as a poverty spec A/B reg Nova would be worth almost £2k to some buyers - which doesn't help in insurance valuations.

Novas are pretty expensive to insure though, all things considered.

[edt] I'm assuming those prices are with the same company, same policy, same conditions; only difference being the vehicle

Stuart
26-01-11, 09:35 AM
Not hard getting into a Corsa either!

Also bear in mind its a lot easier to get parts for Corsas - I would guess that most parts are still dealer-available at "reasonable" cost, or most certainly available in the pattern market. Also the resale values of Novas is generally higher than Corsas - a poverty spec L reg 1.2 Corsa will be worth what, £200? Where as a poverty spec A/B reg Nova would be worth almost £2k to some buyers - which doesn't help in insurance valuations.

Novas are pretty expensive to insure though, all things considered.

[edt] I'm assuming those prices are with the same company, same policy, same conditions; only difference being the vehicle

But the nova 'value' in book figures would be about 50p.... it matters not that some silly person 'would' pay £2K for it, the glasses book will kill it

Andy
26-01-11, 09:38 AM
But the nova 'value' in book figures would be about 50p.... it matters not that some silly person 'would' pay £2K for it, the glasses book will kill it
This,i often look on copart,there was an e reg 3 door on there not so long back with a PAV of £250.Every auction listing has a Pav on it.

Jack
26-01-11, 10:34 AM
True, but most will adjust for real term values. Say you wrote off a "mint" SR and the insurance company offered you £50 as thats book value - but there were 12 on autotrader that all sold last week for £2500, you're telling me you'd accept the £50 offer? I wouldn't.

Stuart
26-01-11, 10:41 AM
True, but most will adjust for real term values. Say you wrote off a "mint" SR and the insurance company offered you £50 as thats book value - but there were 12 on autotrader that all sold last week for £2500, you're telling me you'd accept the £50 offer? I wouldn't.

Agreed, you wouldnt accept it, but trust me, arguing with autotrader/pistonheads/forum adverts means nothing :(

mowgli
26-01-11, 10:53 AM
anybody who doesn't get an agreed value from their insurer for a decent nova is a mug imho

Grey
26-01-11, 12:32 PM
anybody who doesn't get an agreed value from their insurer for a decent nova is a mug imho

But surely if you calim 3rd party to the person liable they will only give what the book says!?

My previous Nova c20xe got hit and sufferd minor scuff to rear quater... there insurance company wanted to write it off and give me £300 i said foook off its not any old nova. so then they went to auto trader and looked at some green 1.4 luxe which was up for £800 and said we wll offer you £750! :wtf:

errrr confused!

MK999
26-01-11, 12:46 PM

or under 25 and doesn't have the 3k to fork out for insurance lol

I'm seriously considering the brentacre policy that insures the base car only tbh, although that works out ok for me as mine would be a 1.4SR lol still the only thing that would be completely ruined in a write off situation, depending how bad the accident is would be the shell/panels and maybe wheels/suspension, everything else would be transferrable and tbh most of the 'cost' of a decent nova is in time, and no insurer covers that.

mowgli
26-01-11, 12:48 PM
i have a classic policy with 3000miles limit..... and agreed value. but it is a second car.

MK999
26-01-11, 12:53 PM
i have a classic policy with 3000miles limit..... and agreed value. but it is a second car.

Which you probably pay about £2.50 a year for lol

Admiral is the only company that would insure me for under 2k on a grp 5 TD nova. 22, 0ncb, good postcode, cheeky cow rinsing a claim for all it's worth from last year, still unsettled.

I'd love to see a quote for this years details on my planned build, over 5k I reckon lol

mowgli
26-01-11, 12:55 PM
performance direct, and about £250pa

MK999
26-01-11, 12:57 PM
See they were absolutely shocking for me, wanted about £2500 when I insured the red one iirc, which I eventually covered for £950ish

NovaLad
08-02-11, 11:27 AM
Can't get insured on jack sh*t!

Check this when i had my 1.2 nova...

1st year - £2100
Second year - £1100
if i kept it another year it was due to go to £800

Now they want over £2300 WTF!

It's stupid!

Id be happy to pay £1500 for anything right now!

Jack
08-02-11, 12:36 PM
Admiral is the only company that would insure me for under 2k on a grp 5 TD nova. 22, 0ncb, good postcode, cheeky cow rinsing a claim for all it's worth from last year, still unsettled.
Unsettled claims usually treated as a claim against you until proven otherwise.

if i kept it another year it was due to go to £800
How do you know that? Did you get a quote from an insurance company? If so, surely they should honour it (unless it was one of those where its only valid for 30 days and you did the quote 6 months ago, in which case the figure is pointless)

TBH I don't know how anyone under 21 can insure a car, the prices are rediculous.

MK999
08-02-11, 01:52 PM
Yeah it was counted as against me, even declared it as such as there is no unsettled option, was told to do that by Sky, they said I can declare still having x no claims until it's actually paid out etc, but chances are I'd have my insurance cancelled or go through the roof so it's not worth it.

NovaLad
08-02-11, 04:38 PM
How do you know that? Did you get a quote from an insurance company? If so, surely they should honour it (unless it was one of those where its only valid for 30 days and you did the quote 6 months ago, in which case the figure is pointless)

TBH I don't know how anyone under 21 can insure a car, the prices are rediculous.

Yes i did get a quote to renew the insurance and that was the quote.

Yes it was the conning 30 days only thingy bob.

nova_saloon
09-02-11, 01:01 AM
lol i know my 1.3 was more expensive. then i stuck a 2.016v in it and it dropped, now pay £845 and 21 win win

MK1_Ben
09-02-11, 07:24 AM
I'm only 19 and drive a 1.2 Nova, Policy is fully comp and has all the extras (legal cover, windscreen, breakdown etc) and I'm paying just over £2000 a year... No wonder I never have money for the Nova :(

Last year I was driving a ZR (105bhp model) and that was only a grand a year for insurance...

NovaLad
12-03-11, 03:09 PM
Ok i've now found an insurance company which the quotes are coming back around £1400 for a 1.4 sr but there isn't any clean ones about. lol

And the cars i wouldn't mind... such as a TDi i'm getting quotes £2000 on :(