PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 Astra GTE Rear Axle

Tazzy
10-06-03, 01:58 AM
along the same basis as my other question, reading car mags for quit some years now, some Nova owners have put this on their baby vaux's, what gain is there from this?

cheerz!

rgv_stu
10-06-03, 08:46 AM
a) its stronger
b) its wider
c) its got rear discs

Tazzy
11-06-03, 02:28 AM
is there much work involved in fitting the axle to a nova?

brian
12-06-03, 11:55 PM
the only reason you would fit this rear beam is to accomodate a rear disc conversion (rear disc conversion on a Nova is debatable)
Even doing this the beam has to be shortened.
Stronger doesn't come into it. a Nova rear beam is strong enough for rallying so its grand for regular use. :wink:

Ste_Nova
13-06-03, 11:28 AM
direct fit with the rally x wide arch kit

_JH_
13-06-03, 03:35 PM
so apart from arch problems it fits straight on? ie spring cups, shock mounts etc are all ok if you use the nova shocks and springs? does this count for any mk2 astra beam?

cheers

Ste_Nova
13-06-03, 05:13 PM
yes.. only prob with it is it's 100mm wider than a nova one

brian
13-06-03, 05:35 PM
do you have wide arches?

_JH_
16-06-03, 06:46 PM
yes.. only prob with it is it's 100mm wider than a nova one

either side or in total?

haven't got wide arches, but considering it.

Tazzy
16-06-03, 11:39 PM
so you would have to put on a wide arch kit to fit the beam?

cant discs be put onto the nova beam then?

brian
16-06-03, 11:55 PM
100mm in total.

If you are fittin a wide arch kit (which is a lot of work) ONLY WITH THIS could you use the astra rear beam but then you will have to align your front wheels to suit.
or else use different offset wheels front and back to balance out the 100mm.
if you try to move out the front wheels you will have to do so with wide track suspension as i did on the car below,(wheels spacers are a disaster and Novas with big wheels are bad enough on bearings already!) and wide track suspension comes with a section for the rear anyway which would be a lot more accurate/easy than fittin an astra beam and trying to match the front

if you use the astra beam on a standard nova you will have to cut and rejoin it.

Rear discs can be fitted to a nova beam and this beam is very strong as i said before (ie.used on rallycars).

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/177big5.jpg

bad_boy_nova
17-06-03, 09:20 AM
Ive got an astra gte rear axle and discs and calipers at home and want to put them on, i want to keep my nova axle and just put the discs on. How would i go about doing this? Ive already got the astra gte front discs and caplipers on my nova.

Ben (lurk75)
17-06-03, 09:56 AM
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/177big5.jpg

Murderer :cry: :cry: :cry:

I dont know how you have got the gaul to even post pictures of it anymore!

Ste_Nova
17-06-03, 11:18 AM
which would be a lot more accurate/easy than fittin an astra beam and trying to match the front

i wouldn't call bilting on the full astra beam hard... but as stated only use it with wide arches and a wide track kit

mikeoxford
17-06-03, 11:46 AM
Ive got an astra gte rear axle and discs and calipers at home and want to put them on, i want to keep my nova axle and just put the discs on. How would i go about doing this? Ive already got the astra gte front discs and caplipers on my nova.

theres a rear disk guide on both novaload and nova-land.com in the mechanical sections

brian
18-06-03, 12:12 AM
brian wrote:
which would be a lot more accurate/easy than fittin an astra beam and trying to match the front

i wouldn't call bilting on the full astra beam hard... but as stated only use it with wide arches and a wide track kit

i didn't say it was hard to bolt it on. i was saying it was harder as in having to line up the front with the rear after the beam is fitted.

And Ben :roll: leave me alone :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
18-06-03, 12:41 AM
And Ben :roll: leave me alone :lol:

:o ME

i didnt kill that car!

Only joking Brian, what you cooking up over there then? No doubt your going to have some plans for a new project upon your return?

Tazzy
18-06-03, 02:16 AM
that nova looks good, does that have a gte rear beam?

brian
19-06-03, 12:07 AM
no gte rear beam there. i fitted wide track suspension to that one. full group A rally (tarmac) setup. it would be the same width as an Astra though!

Ben, no cookin up of any sort over here, the weather is shite for this time of year. Don't think ill buy a car out here either.

When i get home i have to get a rallycar ready for january for myself.
Ill throw in a 16v 1600 into the green car if we can sort one out! or i might go turbo 1600 8v.
i might build a 2L turbo Nova (just for sundays!! :roll: ) later on if i get a chance or else next year.
All in all ill have something to keep me busy :D
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/177big.jpg