PDA

View Full Version : Does the baby XE need the chassis leg mod?

Count Vaux Alot
24-01-11, 11:04 AM
As the title - does the chassis leg need the alt clearance mod? When I did my track car I was originally going to fit the 2lt Xe so did the cut out anyway but I'm not sure if I need to or not without fitting the engine.

Cheers James

Edd
24-01-11, 11:08 AM
only if your using a multi ribbed belt alternator set up

some touch some dont iirc

GDN16v
24-01-11, 11:14 AM
No not always, mines got a good 15mm clearance to the chassis leg with the multiribbed belt on! Depends on the shell!

Trial fit the engine first then look to see what gap youve got, should only take about 45mins to fit and take out!!:thumb:

Dayle_
24-01-11, 12:47 PM
Mines he same as GDN16v's

AlexW
24-01-11, 01:16 PM
Same, Mine had multi and had plenty of space. Mk2 shell with rubber mounts.

Southie says he had to run single V on his mk1 with solid mounts.

Count Vaux Alot
24-01-11, 01:42 PM
Ok cool thanks for the replies chaps I will prob just do the mod for the sake of it.

bmw156
24-01-11, 01:44 PM
Ok cool thanks for the replies chaps I will prob just do the mod for the sake of it.

and risk a BIVA inspection.:wtf:

Plug
24-01-11, 01:48 PM
I used the Multi V on mine with solid mounts without a problem was a B reg Mk1

mowgli
24-01-11, 02:08 PM
maybe theres some old accident damage?

Count Vaux Alot
24-01-11, 02:44 PM
maybe theres some old accident damage?

As it happens there is....

Count Vaux Alot
24-01-11, 02:46 PM
and risk a BIVA inspection.:wtf:

Are rear turrets included? - any links on an ifo page on said test?

comptoncj
24-01-11, 06:09 PM
My one has just about sufficient space although if you have a mount with a little bit of flex you may have a problem.

craig green
24-01-11, 06:22 PM
wtf is BIVA?

Pistol Pete
24-01-11, 06:24 PM
Could replace the SVA test....http://www.the-ace.org.uk/results-of-biva-consultation-document.html

EDIT: more info here..http://www.the-ace.org.uk/proposed-new-biva-scheme.html

Adam
24-01-11, 07:26 PM
Why would doing a chassis leg cutout mean a SVA test :confused:

John
24-01-11, 07:27 PM
Why would doing a chassis leg cutout mean a SVA test :confused:

Agreed. Never heard of ANYONE having to do that for an xe conversion.

Adam
24-01-11, 07:29 PM
If so then it seems half of this site better book a sva test lol lol lol

bmw156
24-01-11, 07:29 PM
it basically works on the kit car princable where you work on a points system to give the car an identity after modification.

cutting the chassis alters its identity - including cross members.

i think the rear turrets would also be included.
i posted a few links a while back ill hunt them down :)

an engine change is fine, as long as you havent cut the chassis, and have used all the other parts on the car, like suspension, steering rack and a few others.

bmw156
24-01-11, 07:31 PM
links

Engine swap

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/dvla-engine-swap-notification-changes.html

A vehicles identity is governed by the DVLA points system. PPC asked the questions and according to DVLA , vehicles shoull be fitted with the same components as it left the factory to keep those points. As we all know many points carrying items are service items.
The primary concern woull be ensuring no mods are made to the monococque during the upgrade.

Points system /monococque details

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/Chassis-and-Monocoque-Modification.html

Read more: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=93771&page=1#ixzz1Bz06A2PN

Adam
24-01-11, 07:33 PM
That engine change "rule" is the same as its been for the last few years

John
so without trawling through all that, you need an sva to fit an xe?

bmw156
copied from the second link

Monococque.

Q) What is the definition of a monococque ?

A) A design in which body and chassis are all one unit.

Q) Why does cutting into a monococque affect the vehicle identity if it retains the same shape /profile as before.

A) Cutting is considered to be modifying the vehicle from its original specification. Any modification to the chassis/monocoque body is considered to render the vehicle no longer original specification or of original identity.

Q) Is it acceptable to modify a vehicle bulkhead and/or transmission tunnel when performing an engine change or fitting another make?

A) No, Assuming this is in relation to a monocoque structure. This would be considered a modification to the structure.

Q) Is it acceptable to fully weld sections that are spot-welded as part of the original construction methods, to increase the strength of the body?

A) Yes, providing the original structure is retained.
ACE felt that further clarification was needed from VOSA so we sent more questions.
The following responses are from the VOSA Press Office:-
The answers to our chassied vehicle rules queries seem mainly straightforward, However, we have further questions based on the answers supplied.
Q) As chassis strengthening is allowed, are we correct in assuming that additional crossmembers would also be allowed?

A) It is important that the original chassis structure is retained unmodified, and while it is acceptable to strengthen areas and include additional brackets or crossmembers, It would be limited to additions within the existing chassis frame structure. Additional chassis structures, i.e. extending the outward parameters of the original chassis structure would be considered a modification.
Q) It is the monococque rules that need the most clarification.
Your reply states that any cutting of the monococque" is considered to render the vehicle identity no longer original specification or of original identity ". This would suggest that any crash repairs necessitating cutting and removal of panels or chassis sections, or restoration work would call the vehicle's identity into question?
We presume that the point should really be that any cutting... other than in factory designed joining areas...would be the actual criteria?

A) In this respect it is necessary to differentiate between modification and repair. Any repair process that is in line with manufacturer's recommendations and that returns the structure to its original specification would not be considered to be a modification.
Q) Would the modification of wings to allow clearance for larger wheels fall foul of the regulations?
We presume not as the common fitment of sunroofs does not create issues as this is a non stressed item of the monococque, the same as wings?"

A) When considering a monocoque structure, it is necessary to consider what constitutes cosmetic panels that do not significantly add to the structural strength and which panels provide structural integrity. In general front wings modified in this way would not constitute a modification to the monocoque structure.
With reference to the further query, VOSA have advised that they would prefer the following statement:

What constitutes a monocoque is that of how an OEM manufacturer would view it. The chassis or `cage` assembly and all components that form it, less any cosmetic panels or infills that make no structural consideration to the monocoque or its component parts.
However, we must emphasis that this information is given for general guidance and each case will be judged on its merits.
Whilst none of this is definitive, and it contains the usual 'Judged on it's own merits' criteria, it does answer a lot of questions where the modifier has only been able to speculate in the past.
It means we are aware of what we can or cannot do and still retain the 5 points from the start of any modification process.

bmw156
24-01-11, 07:35 PM
If so then it seems half of this site better book a sva test lol lol lol

lol, i have mentioned this before and it has been ignored.

as much as all these "rules" say we need this, we need that etc.
im not sure how they would "catch" you to test it all.

Edd
24-01-11, 07:40 PM
lol what a load of toss lol

bmw156
24-01-11, 07:42 PM
lol what a load of toss lol

so when me or count send of our V5 to say we have an engine change etc.
and we get a letter back saying they want to BIVA test us. i know im going to be safe.

Southie
24-01-11, 07:48 PM
Single V setup is what I used just for piece of mind with having solid mounts, also I'd bought the bits for it already so made sence.

I used a Sri bottom pulley, a gte fan belt and a sbd alternator pulley which had to be slightly modified with it being not in line to the bottom pulley, I'm also using the standard corsa alternator.

Edd
24-01-11, 07:49 PM
I don't know anyone that has been asked to do that test shizzle after swapping engines in a nova

bmw156
24-01-11, 07:50 PM
i think its still very new/not in place yet. im not sure.

im just making people aware.

when/if it comes into play it will make cars ALOT harder to get on the road.
IMO its to keep pikeys from doing dodgy conversions and killing people in dodgy cars.

Lee H
24-01-11, 09:06 PM
So lump hammering the chassis leg in for clearance will still be alright as there is no cutting involved?

Pistol Pete
24-01-11, 09:59 PM
One would assume so. IMO this is the only way to do it!

Graeme
24-01-11, 10:03 PM
Lump hammer ftmfw

bmw156
24-01-11, 10:05 PM
im sure someone asked about the lump hammer thing for a trans tunnel lol.

im sure if its not to bad they wont notice lol.

Count Vaux Alot
25-01-11, 11:07 AM
Well i want to mod the front cross member, do the chassis leg mod and fit turrets so if they want to test so be it!