PDA

View Full Version : c.v. joints

masseyk@deeside.ac.uk
24-01-11, 10:52 AM
Hi guys , help needed,

after a frustrating weekend I could do with any advice about changing
inner c.vs order of taking things off etc, removing the cv itself.

Welsh Dan
24-01-11, 11:17 AM
I've not taken the inner CV off before, but if you get the car up on axle stands with the wheel off on the side that you want to do, undo the bolt at the bottom of the steering knuckle that holds the ball joint in, pull the ball joint out of the knuckle. Turn the steering to full lock to the opposite side to the one that you're working on then grab the disc/caliper/knuckle and use them as a slide hammer to pull the inner CV from the gearbox. With that out, put the ball joint back into the knuckle and put the bolt back in to hold the assembly in place. Get someone to stand on the brakes while you remove the hubnut and you can then take the driveshaft out to work on.

masseyk@deeside.ac.uk
24-01-11, 01:00 PM
Thanks mate Ill start again next weekend

Andy
24-01-11, 02:26 PM
Nah thats not a good way at all.
I think,in my opinion,easiest way is
Matey with foot on brake or a brick in front of the wheel with handbrake on in gear if your on your own to crack off the castle nut,then wheel off,undo the 2 tie bar bolts what hold the ball joint and tie bar onto the bottom arm,then crowbar the inner cv out of the gearbox (after pushing whole hub awy from the car to remove the shaft out of the hub,it may want a blast with a rubber mallet/soft hammer (dont shag the threads) Then its off.

masseyk@deeside.ac.uk
24-01-11, 05:05 PM
Thanks for that, I made the mistake of not taking the complete thing off
and was hours trying to get the bearings back in.

MK999
24-01-11, 05:07 PM
All this effort with putting car in gear and hoping it doesn't turn over etc, or waiting for a mate to stand on the brakes... Just take the castle nut off before you jack it up? :tard:

Andy
24-01-11, 05:09 PM
All this effort with putting car in gear and hoping it doesn't turn over etc, or waiting for a mate to stand on the brakes... Just take the castle nut off before you jack it up? :tard:
Thats what i said,but if you dont put the handbrake on,or put it in gear etc your going to move it forward

MK999
24-01-11, 05:14 PM
Thats what i said,but if you dont put the handbrake on,or put it in gear etc your going to move it forward

Aha, misunderstood that. I assume a stationary car is either in gear or has handbrake on anyway... sloped drive lol