PDA

View Full Version : plus size pistons ???

Dervy
23-01-11, 11:49 PM
who thinks the increased displacement (more power :) ) is worth the
£90-100 for the pistons http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300371231539&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
and the money it will cost to get a rebore on my isuzu lump??? help please:)

AlexW
24-01-11, 12:01 AM
Not sure id do it unless the bores/pistons are ruined or whatever.

£80 for boring and honeing.

Dervy
24-01-11, 12:12 AM
yea thats what i thought, the only thing is the engine has done about 150000 miles and although the bores look fine and theres nothing wrong with the pistons, i just want to be shore, but £180 is alot of money for little gain

mowgli
24-01-11, 08:55 AM
it is a common myth that increasing the piston size will dramatically increase the power output.....

if you are, for example, boring aout a 1300 to make a 1400 with 1200 pistons, the percentage gain is quite big & also raises the compression to make quite a difference.

on the isuzu 1.7td, the 1.00mm is the maximum overbore replacement piston size, and when you consider the extra friction of the larger rings, there will be a negligable performance increase, over a good, std piston. when measured against a worn one, then getting the compression back up to where it should be when it was new will make it feel like you have dramatically increased the power, when you have simply got it back to std.

so, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Dervy
24-01-11, 12:11 PM
cheers mowgli :) that is kind of what i thought because 1mm oversize is bugger all really and for the money it will cost, its not worth it. i think im just going to get new rings, thanks for the help :)