PDA

View Full Version : Extending a engine loom

Edd
23-01-11, 10:25 AM
I need to extend my engine loom by about 70cm so it can run through the inner wing rather than cutting a hole in the firewall

Got a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with

-what wire do i use ? i guess not the stuff they have down Halfords ?
-where from ?
-do i use the same thickness wire for all of it ?
-any tips ?

thanks in advance Edd

Damo
23-01-11, 10:31 AM
I need to extend my engine loom by about 70cm so it can run through the inner wing rather than cutting a hole in the firewall

Got a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with

-what wire do i use ? i guess not the stuff they have down Halfords ?
-where from ?
-do i use the same thickness wire for all of it ?
-any tips ?

thanks in advance Edd

Benns gonna be ur man for this edd.

Iain
23-01-11, 10:34 AM
Chop off the loom with ample to spare on the cabin side.

Find a scrappy Nova or spare loom and chop off the front with ample to spare the other way.

Join them together. Right wire size, one joint, win win.

bmw156
23-01-11, 10:35 AM
-what wire do i use ? Halfords stuff will be fine - just expensive, got to a local motor factor.
-where from - as above
-do i use the same thickness wire for all of it - yes for example if you have a high ampage cable and you extend with a thin cable, its going to blow sooner.
-any tips - solder, heat shrink. and maybe buttet connectors so you can unplug the loom from behind the wing.

Edd
23-01-11, 10:36 AM
Chop off the loom with ample to spare on the cabin side.

Find a scrappy Nova or spare loom and chop off the front with ample to spare the other way.

Join them together. Right wire size, one joint, win win.
did think that but im unlikely to find a Irmscher injection loom down the scrappy

was thinking of buying a roll of wire and doing it that way ?

Benns gonna be ur man for this edd.

think ill drop him a pm

tony-the-muss
23-01-11, 10:37 AM
hello edd i had to extend / re route my loom i have done it on a couple of previous novas now and have found the most re-assuring and proper way is to find another bit of a nova loom from a donor and cut required coloured wires from that loom with more than enough to piece and colour match exact to your loom , make sure to solder/heat shrink over join sections and then use matt black insulation for factory look tony

Edd
23-01-11, 10:38 AM
-what wire do i use ? Halfords stuff will be fine - just expensive, got to a local motor factor.
-where from - as above
-do i use the same thickness wire for all of it - yes for example if you have a high ampage cable and you extend with a thin cable, its going to blow sooner.
-any tips - solder, heat shrink. and maybe buttet connectors so you can unplug the loom from behind the wing.

cheers Martin

i only mentioned Halfords cause all factors here are crap run by retards and love to rip you off, plus i have trade card for Halfords

Iain
23-01-11, 10:40 AM
Oh sorry Edd I automatically thought of the headlight loom!

AutoSparks or VehicleWiringProducts for new thinwall wire IMO, order the right colours and match up thickness/amps with whats already there (or wiring diagram showing thicknesses would be handy)

w88rdy
23-01-11, 10:43 AM
i would defo get a nova loom,just so you can use correct colours etc edd, it makes fault finding easier if wires are same colours throughout and not all the same colour as your new wire would be if you get me lol

Edd
23-01-11, 01:31 PM
VehicleWiringProducts for new thinwall wire

had a look on there and its ideal, cheers

mowgli
23-01-11, 04:23 PM
seriously edd, irmscher would have used fairly std wiring products, probably in std gm colours. get down the scrappy & remove a loom from something old.. then splice it in.

i still have wires in a box from stripping out a crashed gte i bought in 1993. i have repaired dozens of looms with it, including a couple of burnt ones...

i'm going to extend my engine loom, but i got a spare one off ebay.

Benn
24-01-11, 05:36 PM
What i was thinking^ I'd think it's most of the loom from another injection car.
Un wrap what you have and check the colours out. Then you can go cut what you need from another car.

That is the biggest and best tip i can give, same as i gave Iain.

That way you can use as many plugs as you can, then just have one one soldiered joint in there to reduce any probs with breakages.

Edd
24-01-11, 05:37 PM
cheers Benn

scrap yard for me tomorrow me thinks

Andy
24-01-11, 05:47 PM
ive got a sh1t 2l 8v engine loom you can have for postage edd
I seem to remember you saying they were similar parts on them?

Edd
24-01-11, 05:50 PM
ive got a sh1t 2l 8v engine loom you can have for postage edd
I seem to remember you saying they were similar parts on them?

sound Andy

mate works at the scrappy so i get stuff free :) ill see what i can find if not ill take you up on that cheers

nova_saloon
24-01-11, 05:56 PM
you can order all brand new in the same colours from vehicle wiring products. there really good dont forget the soldering and shrink rap. if anyone here see's a crimp or a chocolate block there will be hell to pay!

L14MNP
26-01-11, 04:27 PM
Another vote here for trying to match it with OEM stuff. Saves money, it's neater. You know it's the right gauge and colour etc etc.