PDA

View Full Version : Painting a roof...

Will F
22-01-11, 05:28 PM
Unsure if this is in the right section, but I will steam ahead! lol

It looks like my saloon has had an odd reaction on the corner of the roof - its not that noticable, but its like loads of tiny bubbles - like its lifted from the metal?

It wasnt like it before - and my painter friend seems to think it has happened over time and being in teh sun etc has made it happen...

He has said that it will need stripping back to bare metal - to ensure there are no contaminents etc which seems reasonable - so what sort of money should I be looking at for painting the roof and boot (same happened on the edge)?

Any ideas? I am asking cos he has quoted quite a high price (he is a mate too! lol )

Cheers all

Edd
22-01-11, 05:39 PM
I had this after having my old XE painted

I was told silicone or simular was probably on the roof when painted

Yep back to metal and paint again :(

Will F
22-01-11, 05:43 PM
I had this after having my old XE painted

I was told silicone or simular was probably on the roof when painted

Yep back to metal and paint again :(

Odd thing is - its lasted 6 months!

Any idea of costs approx?

Edd
22-01-11, 05:46 PM
I ended up getting the whole car repainted as it was red and may of looked out if place if I just had the roof done

Price wise I've got a old school friend who has always done me cheap prices

Will F
22-01-11, 05:54 PM
I ended up getting the whole car repainted as it was red and may of looked out if place if I just had the roof done

Price wise I've got a old school friend who has always done me cheap prices

I need one of those! lol

He is good as gold, but I think he over quotes if he cba to do it! lol

Nick J
22-01-11, 06:57 PM
Problems like this are usually caused by things like.... Incompatible substrates being used over the top of each other or paint being applied on top of non cured material etc. Sometimes problems dont show instantly and can take time to appear. Either way he's correct in what he is telling you solution wise as a simple flat and paint wouldnt last long before the problem is showing up again. I would estimate it to be a 2-3 day job for the roof/boot to be stripped,repainted then flat and polished. Obviously I dont know the guys charge out rates so I wouldnt be able to give an accurate cost figure. One thing I do know is he'll have to be uber careful when stripping the roof as it cant be removed from the car unlike the boot which only adds more to the labour at the end of the day.

Nick.

Dan
22-01-11, 08:02 PM
Generally called micro blisters. could be caused by something as simple as moisture under the paint trying to escape. ive read the exact same style thread on the fiesta forum i use in the last 2 weeks. I also had this on my old orange nova many years ago which is when i first learnt of the problem

As correctly said theres only one way to solve the problem and thats to strip back down below them (bare metal in most cases)

mowgli
22-01-11, 08:54 PM
this is why vinyl roofs were invented....hillman avengers made in coventry were suffering a bad roof reaction... a design student came up with vinyl cos it was cheaper.

MK999
22-01-11, 09:12 PM
Can you not take it back to the place that painted it and tell them to fix it? It's obviously a paint reaction so their fault surely?

16v Nova Kev
22-01-11, 09:25 PM
sounds like micro blisters or moisture entrapment. could be surface rust under the paint. price wise i would say 400/600

pics would help tho.

Will F
22-01-11, 11:36 PM
cheers all - all in agreement re striping it right back. Thanks for the info.

I bought the car already re-painted and I think that is where the problem lies. When I had it painted, the painter struggled getting a perfect finish, blaming the poor paint quality of the previous effort...

Unsuprisingly - he is saying that the issue is with the original job, which it probably is.

I am guessing I should aim around the £3-400 mark then?

MK999
22-01-11, 11:39 PM
Hmm you'd have to talk to Benn or Rexy etc but I'd imagine something like that, in a small area where I assume there wasn't any bubbling from the previous effort, would be poor prep work on the part of whoever put the latest coat down? Otherwise for it to be fine for ages and bubble 6mths after the new coat is suspicious at best.

16v Nova Kev
22-01-11, 11:40 PM
aye go for that. have you had the car stored with a plastic cover over it?

Will F
22-01-11, 11:47 PM
aye go for that. have you had the car stored with a plastic cover over it?

Nah - I have banged 8000 miles on it.... been used every day!

shed-on-wheels
23-01-11, 02:33 AM
will i have just finshed painting my nova it cost me just under £200 with everything in

Will F
23-01-11, 09:36 AM
will i have just finshed painting my nova it cost me just under £200 with everything in

:eek: I assume thats you actually painting it though right?

Fancy doing my roof for £50? lol