PDA

View Full Version : Corsa GSi water dampness

xe_nova9
22-01-11, 12:58 PM
Hi all, I have an L reg corsa gsi and and passenger front footwell is soaking wet, you can press your hand on the carpet and its like a puddle underneath, the sound deadening is wet through.

I have ran a hosepipe around the windscreen and scuttle area, all of which the water is draining from the drains at the bottom

If it was a coolant leak then I would be able to smell antifreeze which I cant, also the level would drop, which it hasnt.

I have had the car about 2 months, its got a stale smell from the water leak and mould has started to set in the car.

I have noticed the rear washer doesnt work, but Im sure the rear washer pipe runs through the roof lining?

Has anyone got any tips of drying it other than removing the carpets, I started to dry it with a big halogen light thing earlier but the carpets started to smoke lol so I soon stopped using that. I have put an old towel and newspaper under the floormap to try and soak it up for now. I dont know if the guy who had it before me spilt something, but then I would have thought it would have dried out by now.

The water doesnt smell like antifreeze or screenwash, just general water :confused:

Any ideas and suggestions would be most helpful

Mike
22-01-11, 01:13 PM
Rear wash wipe does indeed run through the pass side of the roof lining/shell.

Try checking the rubber grommit where one of the main car loom goes through into the engine bay, its next to the brake master cyclinder & res, top LHS of engine bay/scuttle area.

xe_nova9
22-01-11, 01:17 PM
Ok mate Ill check that, but if it was coming through there then surely the drivers side would be soaking too? Ive looked up under the dash and the top of the carpet behind the dash (if that makes sense) appears to be dry.

Steve0011
22-01-11, 01:18 PM
rear wash pipe sounds like it could be the culprit, from the engine bay the pipe runs up the A pillar to the roof and it is on the passenger side. as for drying pull back the carpet and remove the sound deadning either dry that or see if you can get a dry one from the scappy. a hairdrier should take care of the carpet

Mike
22-01-11, 01:38 PM
Ah yeah you say its the passenger side lol ignore that comment then lol

xe_nova9
22-01-11, 01:38 PM
Ok so just went out and removed the passenger lower kick panel, the glove box and lower dash tray etc, there seems to be signs of water on the wiring to the ecu, and slight signs of water coming from the top where the washer pipe would be..

Havent got time today to remove the washer bottle etc, but thanks for your help, looks like im looking in the right place now :thumb:

Archie
22-01-11, 05:43 PM
I had this problem with my 1st GSI.
Turned out to be rotten, despite looking okay from underneath.

xe_nova9
22-01-11, 07:03 PM
Where was it rotten to let the water in to the passenger footwell?

Archie
23-01-11, 06:03 AM
Bulkhead area, hard to describe as it's been so long, in the area where the inner arch/bulkhead and floor all join it didnt look like much.

It was also the same on the drivers side at the pedal area.

I had pictures on the laptop if i can find them i'll stick them up, although i hope this isn't the case not nice to see a GSi rotting away :(

Sadly all 3 of mine went this way.

swedge
23-01-11, 06:10 AM
my mates corsa done that and ended up being the heater matrix