PDA

View Full Version : Engine cleaning

MK999
20-01-11, 07:26 PM
My diesel has sprung an oil leak, somewhere. I can't see where it is because well I can't see anything, it's utterly covered in cack from rocker cover to the bottom of the block (making think it's the rocker cover tbh!) either way it needs cleaning up... whats the best thing to use that isn't going to eat a tarmac driveway? Gunk eats through it like warm water through butter, and I assume Jizer does similar.

I've tried Mike's take the head off a wallpaper steamer trick and it's just not hot enough/high enough pressure to manage it, I assume he has a massive fook off industrial thing.

Not after a star car at billing shine, just enough that I can actually see oil running down it, and maybe clean it up enough that it can be worked on without looking like a coal miner after 15 minutes.

pikey1986
20-01-11, 07:31 PM
i found pterol is very good at de-greasing

AlexW
20-01-11, 07:55 PM
Brake cleaner type stuff, Not sure how bad it will be on the drive though lol

MK999
20-01-11, 07:57 PM
Petrol eats the drive, brake and clutch spray is brilliant for cleaning stuff but just as expensive too.

Benn
20-01-11, 08:15 PM
Hyper clean,jizer, or get a nice cheap citrus degreaser that works great.
Then use a jet wash to get the rest off.

MK999
20-01-11, 08:19 PM
Yeah I've just read about hyper clean, no mention of it eating tarmac, seems thats limited to gunk, motor factors carries comma stuff so I'll see if they've got it :)

I assume a trip to the garage, quick jet wash and leave it to sit for 10-15mins to dry should be fine on an isuzu diesel? Will cover my alternator obviously (It got cleaned before it was fixed, don't think he was too happy about the half inch of oily mud it was covered in lol)

Benn
20-01-11, 08:27 PM
Comma do hyper clean, its what i use and it's fine on tarmac. Cleans really well then jet wash off.

MK999
20-01-11, 08:28 PM
Brilliant stuff, thanks for the recommendation :thumb: :)

Balley
20-01-11, 09:50 PM
I use hyper clean stuff works fairly well.. try pressure washing it first to blast the thick stuff off!
Then get her warm and cover it in hyper clean, leave a few minutes and wash off again... basically keep doing it!

Am the man for cleaning DERVS lol but mine were that bad it need petrol and lots of it :)

mowgli
20-01-11, 09:58 PM
Yeah I've just read about hyper clean, no mention of it eating tarmac, seems thats limited to gunk, motor factors carries comma stuff so I'll see if they've got it :)

I assume a trip to the garage, quick jet wash and leave it to sit for 10-15mins to dry should be fine on an isuzu diesel? Will cover my alternator obviously (It got cleaned before it was fixed, don't think he was too happy about the half inch of oily mud it was covered in lol)

the best thing to do is steam clean it at the garage with the engine running. it keeps warm & the electrics dry out quickly.

MK999
20-01-11, 09:59 PM
the best thing to do is steam clean it at the garage with the engine running. it keeps warm & the electrics dry out quickly.

I've never seen a steam cleaner at a garage before! Only ever jet wash.

mowgli
20-01-11, 10:00 PM
ask around. truck dealers, tractor dealers, haulage yards. there are steam cleaners about

MK999
20-01-11, 10:03 PM
I see! There probably is somewhere nearby, but I'm after something I can get done tomorrow morning and sort this oil leak and a few other bits by the evening tbh.

Jack
20-01-11, 10:13 PM
Nothing you can lay down on the drive to protect it?

Orrr... park the car out on the road (in front of someone else's house :d) then cover with degreaser and let it scrag the tarmac away out there lol

MK999
20-01-11, 10:16 PM
I did think about that after, would need a massive drip tray to collect the water etc too, rather impractical, could park round the corner and do it which would be a win, but the best option is letting it eat away the garage forecourt anyway lol

Although it seems hyperclean is the best stuff going and also the most friendly, almost a shame lol

tom reid
21-01-11, 07:11 AM
FFs!, your always on here spouting technical sh1t, and you can't find a soloution to thislol
TFR ftw.

Balley
21-01-11, 08:23 AM
FFs!, your always on here spouting technical sh1t, and you can't find a soloution to thislol
TFR ftw.

+Rep

MK999
21-01-11, 09:02 AM
TFR ftw.

Engineer, not grease monkey lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_fertility_rate

How many children are required per engine bay? lol

db_1.2
21-01-11, 02:59 PM
I'll have a look in the shed in the morning. A friend of mine gave me 3l of some acid based cleaner that Claas, who he works for, gives him. I used it on my sprinter the other day in the engine bay. I was really really impressed, cleans oil off really well. I used it on paint too, although it's not advised.

MK999
21-01-11, 03:22 PM
All sorted now anyways, hyperclean and the shonky broken BP jetwash did it proud, oil leak appears to be fixed :)

mowgli
21-01-11, 06:01 PM
Engineer, not grease monkey lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_fertility_rate

How many children are required per engine bay? lol

Traffic Film Remover... they wash trucks with it.

ps, only diesel eats tarmac quick enough to ruin it... dilute tfr takes an absolute age.... our wash bay is tarmac cos we got a load of it very free once....

MK999
21-01-11, 06:51 PM
Gunk engine degreasant noms through tarmac like a fat kid in a cake factory.

mowgli
21-01-11, 10:38 PM
Gunk engine degreasant noms through tarmac like a fat kid in a cake factory.

not if its used properly, as in not splashed round all over the place, & rinsed really well