PDA

View Full Version : small block xe problems

nova_stee
19-01-11, 10:37 AM
My sisters x16xe corsa sport engine is smoking like mad so i have a couple of choices.
I have a x16xel engine in the shed with 14000 miles but the head ports are completly diffrent to the x16xe head so i wanted to fit the origanal corsa head.
So are the x16xe and x16xel block and pistons the same.
Also she carnt be with out her car for a day so i was going to build a engine before taking it of the road but i dont have a spare x16xe head but i do have a x14xe head are they identical does any one no.
Sorry for the long story any help is gratefull.:)

brake-dust
19-01-11, 11:35 AM
First of all are you sure the problem with the corsa is the block not the head as it could be valve stem seals.

The x16xel uses all the same gaskets and seals as the x16xe apart from the inlet manifold gasket and the rocker cover gasket. I would of thought the pistons would be the same as the bore size is the same and so is the compression ratio, but there is a chance they could be different. Also all the gaskets and seals on the x14xe are the same as x16xe apart from the head gasket because the x14xe bore size is 77.6mm and the x16xe bore size is 79mm so the combustion area could be different. It might be worth buying a good x16xe head and swapping them if it is the valve stem seals.

Hope this helps

Grey
19-01-11, 11:41 AM
As above if you need a x16xe head colin has one off a tigger which he has in bits lol

Email colinesmith@aol.com

:thumb:

nova_stee
19-01-11, 07:48 PM
First of all are you sure the problem with the corsa is the block not the head as it could be valve stem seals.

The x16xel uses all the same gaskets and seals as the x16xe apart from the inlet manifold gasket and the rocker cover gasket. I would of thought the pistons would be the same as the bore size is the same and so is the compression ratio, but there is a chance they could be different. Also all the gaskets and seals on the x14xe are the same as x16xe apart from the head gasket because the x14xe bore size is 77.6mm and the x16xe bore size is 79mm so the combustion area could be different. It might be worth buying a good x16xe head and swapping them if it is the valve stem seals.

Hope this helps
Defantly bottem end blows dip stick out and every now and again the cap if you really rag it lol.
Thanks for your help pal
any one else

brake-dust
19-01-11, 08:39 PM
check the breather pipes. I know a breather that goes to the block to have kinked and it blew the dipstick out along with all the oillol

nova_stee
19-01-11, 09:18 PM
checked the one from the rear of the block to rocker cover its clear and the one from rocker to inlet is now in a pop bottle because it kept blown a bit of oil in

brake-dust
19-01-11, 09:46 PM
sounds like piston rings it might be worth running a compression tester to check:thumb: