PDA

View Full Version : cav brake help

Rob
18-01-11, 05:26 PM
Just wondered if any of you lot can help me ? ive just converted the cav to 5 stud using vectra diesel rear drums and vectra 288mm front brakes.All the brakes have bled up fine but the problem i have is that the pedal is very spongey with a fair bit of travel and the biting point fairly low down,so i,m thinking this could be down to the servo which will need replacing for a larger one either 2.0 or v6 would this be correct

Thanks Rob :thumb:

Andy
18-01-11, 05:27 PM
Yeah,more than likely a bigger servo would be beneficial.
Did you change the compensators for the rears?

Rob
18-01-11, 05:30 PM
no Andy i didnt,tbh i havnt heard of them or even knew you had to cahnge them lol what and where are they

Jack
18-01-11, 05:42 PM
Master cylinder affects brake pedal travel, not the servo...? Larger servo merely gives more assistance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bite point of my 288 calipers is about half way on pedal travel. I do get some braking force in the first half, but its not a great deal. Then the car endos when you hit that "stop spot" in the pedal travel lol

Thats on a Nova though, which has a tiddly MC/servo setup. Would have thought the cav kit would have been a bit bigger.

Rob
18-01-11, 05:50 PM
thanks aswell Jack,so if i was to change for a master cylinder say off a 2.0 or v6 this might cure it ?

Andy
18-01-11, 05:51 PM
Actually,ive just realised you have said you have changed drum to drum so you shouldnt need to change the bias valve thingy's lol
Hmmm,i would have thought the original servo would be alright for the bigger brakes tbh

Rob
18-01-11, 06:09 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dont no then lol

davidfox280585
18-01-11, 06:59 PM
i was presuming you fitted rear discs rob my bad lol