PDA

View Full Version : Fast road trackday Brake fluids

Gareth_C
17-01-11, 06:40 PM
Hi chaps can anyone recommend a good brake fluid to use for fast road cars, i was looking at Motul® RBF 600 can anyone make any other suggestions.
Cheers Gareth

dhdev (Oli)
17-01-11, 07:13 PM
I'd recommend standard fluid regularly changed and address the issue of why it's getting hot, e.g ducting. If your engine overheated you wouldn't go searching for coolant/oil that had better high temp properties would you ;) If you must though, ATE super blue is excellent.

mills
17-01-11, 07:20 PM
hey there id recommend Silkolene Race Brake Fluid (https://vault2.secured-url.com/intramega/montgomery/htdocs/addtocart.asp?ID=626&PartName=Silkolene Race Brake Fluid&Price=10.5) as i use it in my car and has a higher temperature as i used to use castrol super dot 4 and it alawys heated and the brakes went off its £24.00 litre but is brilliant

Dayle_
17-01-11, 08:56 PM
I can also vouch for ATE racing super blue. Brilliant stuff. How much is a 1 litre tin of that stuff now? I got mine cheap from Compbrake think they charge £21 now. has a dry boiling point of 536 degrees which is pretty high compared to others.

SR-Rally
17-01-11, 09:18 PM
I use castrol Srf600 but its really expensive. Although I think it's almost impossible to boil :)

Gareth_C
17-01-11, 09:47 PM
I can also vouch for ATE racing super blue. Brilliant stuff. How much is a 1 litre tin of that stuff now? I got mine cheap from Compbrake think they charge £21 now. has a dry boiling point of 536 degrees which is pretty high compared to others.

is that degrees F cause the web says it just under 200c wet boiling

dhdev (Oli)
17-01-11, 09:52 PM
is that degrees F cause the web says it just under 200c wet boiling
Its definately not 536ºC lollollol It's around 280ºC dry iirc

They do two colours, blue and amber. That way you know when you have fully refreshed the fluid in the system BTW.

Dayle_
17-01-11, 09:57 PM
Sorry!

dry boiling point of 536F and a wet boiling point of 396F

robg2
21-01-11, 08:51 PM
I'd recommend standard fluid regularly changed and address the issue of why it's getting hot, e.g ducting. If your engine overheated you wouldn't go searching for coolant/oil that had better high temp properties would you ;) If you must though, ATE super blue is excellent.

So would I - and I'm a Brake Systems Engineer in the automotive industry. Latest spec DOT5 stuff will be fine for you if it's ok by the very high standards that the auto industry demands.

The rest of the system needs to be in good nick too. You really shouldn't be able to get anywhere near the boiling point of fluid in a modern-ish car (ie Nova).

That said, I've once seen fluid boil, and that was in a Cooper S road rally car at the end of a long special test (=stage) at Hethel. The car had A008s on it though, giving much greater grip than the crossplies it probably started life on. Plus 10" wheels with pathetic discs.
In that car it resulted in a ditch moment.

dhdev (Oli)
21-01-11, 09:50 PM
I'm a Brake Systems Engineer

I'm a brakes system design/development Engineer too :thumb: