PDA

View Full Version : corsa redtop conversion??

joebickerton
17-01-11, 02:45 PM
hi people im looking to do a redtop conversion soon and just wondered what i actually need obviously an engine a gearbox and how much roughly it will all cost cheers joe.

Damo
17-01-11, 07:33 PM
You'll need.

Engine/Box
Corsa gsi/sport 22spline shafts and cav mk2 1.6 inner c.v's.
Big block mounts.
full service kit as its eaisier while its out.

Think thats about it.#

Damo.

joebickerton
17-01-11, 08:10 PM
You'll need.

Engine/Box
Corsa gsi/sport 22spline shafts and cav mk2 1.6 inner c.v's.
Big block mounts.
full service kit as its eaisier while its out.

Think thats about it.#

Damo.

so how much we talking in all mate =] rougly and would it be better to just buy a corsa with a redtop in it or do it as im saying.cheers joe

davidfox280585
17-01-11, 08:13 PM
you would save money buying a converted one but make sure its fitted right
if your car is multipoint then the fuelling is basically done for you,you wont need to weld the bay,real easy conversion to be fair

General Baxter
17-01-11, 08:17 PM
first things first, see if you can insure one ;)

joebickerton
17-01-11, 08:22 PM
you would save money buying a converted one but make sure its fitted right
if your car is multipoint then the fuelling is basically done for you,you wont need to weld the bay,real easy conversion to be fair

ahh i see buddy what does multipoint mean buddy im new to this scene

joebickerton
first things first, see if you can insure one ;)

dont worry about that thats not a problem ;D

General Baxter
dont worry about that thats not a problem ;D

;D ummmmmmmmmmmm :wtf:

joebickerton
17-01-11, 08:24 PM
;D ummmmmmmmmmmm :wtf:

my girlfriends auncle is an insurance company owner so its ok

davidfox280585
17-01-11, 08:30 PM
ahh i see buddy what does multipoint mean buddy im new to this scene
ie the car you use will either have a multipoint injecton system or a singlepoint
ie m reg corsa 1.2spi the fuel pump wont carry enough presure as they use 1 fuel injector
corsa sport uses 4 injectors so will be capable enough so then you could just mate your c20xe fuel pipes straight up to your fuel lines:thumb:
id buy one done to be fair there cheap enough but if you insist to build one dont scrimp on the shell or service items,
ideally you would benefit from the c20xe a rebuild before it goes in new gaskets and belts
also get a good shell as early ones rot like hell post 97 are the best shells they came with unboltable battery trays,stonechipped sills and generally better and hopefully get one with electronic power steering as this will be better on the conversion side:thumb:

joebickerton
17-01-11, 08:34 PM
ie the car you use will either have a multipoint injecton system or a singlepoint
ie m reg corsa 1.2spi the fuel pump wont carry enough presure as they use 1 fuel injector
corsa sport uses 4 injectors so will be capable enough so then you could just mate your c20xe fuel pipes straight up to your fuel lines:thumb:
id buy one done to be fair there cheap enough but if you insist to build one dont scrimp on the shell or service items,
ideally you would benefit from the c20xe a rebuild before it goes in new gaskets and belts
also get a good shell as early ones rot like hell post 97 are the best shells they came with unboltable battery trays,stonechipped sills and generally better and hopefully get one with electronic power steering as this will be better on the conversion side:thumb:

ahh i see now buddy yh im getting either a corsa 1.4sport or a sri corsa 1997 around that or so should be ok multipoint wise and that right? u seem clued up buddy :D

davidfox280585
17-01-11, 08:42 PM
ahh i see now buddy yh im getting either a corsa 1.4sport or a sri corsa 1997 around that or so should be ok multipoint wise and that right? u seem clued up buddy :D
enough to know what im doing lol
though there are a lot of very clever guys on here that will help your needs if you decide to build and some guys have built some serious great cars,take a look through project section some very good builds about:thumb:
i converted a corsa years ago to xe and regretted doing it in a better shell

joebickerton
17-01-11, 08:53 PM
though there are a lot of very clever guys on here that will help your needs if you decide to build and some guys have built some serious great cars,take a look through project section some very good builds about:thumb:

ahh i see mate il take a look cheers buddy much appreciated

claire6069
17-01-11, 08:54 PM

i have that problem, hence why mine is being broken at the end of the month when its test runs out! i've got a 94 m reg corsa gsi shell, it was totally bog standard when i bought it, even had the tape player still in it lol we got hold of it and it got slammed on coilovers, xe chucked in, and 6 months later the result is the shell has split both sides on the door pillars really badly, the blisters of rust are coming through quite bad but all in all, awesome little car, if i had the chance again, i'd buy a post 97 shell for the pure fact that they dont split.
btw, joebickerton, i have for sale an xe, f20 box, loom, ecu, mounts and shafts, pm me if you're interested.

joebickerton
17-01-11, 08:59 PM
i have that problem, hence why mine is being broken at the end of the month when its test runs out! i've got a 94 m reg corsa gsi shell, it was totally bog standard when i bought it, even had the tape player still in it lol we got hold of it and it got slammed on coilovers, xe chucked in, and 6 months later the result is the shell has split both sides on the door pillars really badly, the blisters of rust are coming through quite bad but all in all, awesome little car, if i had the chance again, i'd buy a post 97 shell for the pure fact that they dont split.
btw, joebickerton, i have for sale an xe, f20 box, loom, ecu, mounts and shafts, pm me if you're interested.

not yet mate lol gotta run about with the 1.4 engine in it for a while after i passed my test that is lol

davidfox280585
17-01-11, 09:01 PM
exactly right claire,every shell i had split on the b pillars a vauxhall design fault,i had one early shell and the cross member may aswell have fallen off
as mentioned post 97 shells are loads better,sealed better if i looked for another corsa shell first thing id check is the cross member and otherwise there pretty sound,
a friend has had 2 early shells for his td and he got rid and bought a x plate very last ones

Cle
17-01-11, 09:02 PM
i blood i is also wanting a pure redtop for ma first car to, it is wicked innit ayee

Couldnt resist lol

Tbh mate for you first car keep it a 1.4 till you get use to driving, alot of people just fire in an xe then cant handle it and end up wrapped round a tree.

davidfox280585
17-01-11, 09:08 PM
i blood i is also wanting a pure redtop for ma first car to, it is wicked innit ayee

Couldnt resist lol

Tbh mate for you first car keep it a 1.4 till you get use to driving, alot of people just fire in an xe then cant handle it and end up wrapped round a tree.
a young lad wrapped his xe corsa up over christmas was 17yr old and killed himself and passengers,too much power too little experience but i cant quote on your driving experience nor anybody else but my first car was a corsa 1.5d and had loads of fun in that,
in my opinion get a 1.4 sport if you can insure it im sure you will be happy with that i would of been

claire6069
17-01-11, 09:12 PM
exactly right claire,every shell i had split on the b pillars a vauxhall design fault,i had one early shell and the cross member may aswell have fallen off
as mentioned post 97 shells are loads better,sealed better if i looked for another corsa shell first thing id check is the cross member and otherwise there pretty sound,
a friend has had 2 early shells for his td and he got rid and bought a x plate very last ones

yeh ste had to weld up a bit of my cross member before putting the xe in, such a shame they didnt strengthen the shells before they did the gsi's, im guna miss that little thing :( am wanting to progress on anyway to a cav turbo.................or be a traitor and have a scooby as a daily whilst i build my nova up lol

lol Cle, couldnt agree more though, no harm running around with a 1.4 for a year or two to get some driving experience, especially with the fuel increases!! my petrol tank is split at the seams and cant hold anymore than a tenner so im in the petrol station every darn day, 60 miles to £10 quid, its a scam!!

edit - david - i heard about that, he hadnt declared the conversion on the insurance either, he'd have been in alot of trouble had he lived!

joebickerton
17-01-11, 09:24 PM

Couldnt resist lol

no mate just no lol i am keeping the1.4 in it for a year n then changing ive driven more powerfull than a 2litre redtop ive drove an old shape supra 3litre on private roads that was fun but i think u can have any engine its how heavy your foot is and im not the kind of lad who thrashes it everywhere.

General Baxter
17-01-11, 09:30 PM
i had a 2L nova on 45's with L plates on,

trust me, there not first driver cars lol

claire6069
17-01-11, 09:32 PM
no mate just no lol i am keeping the1.4 in it for a year n then changing ive driven more powerfull than a 2litre redtop ive drove an old shape supra 3litre on private roads that was fun but i think u can have any engine its how heavy your foot is and im not the kind of lad who thrashes it everywhere.

i kinda have to disagree, its different driving something like that on a one off to actually owning it and driving it everyday, very very different, the more you get used to a car, the more you gradually push your limits, when i first drove my xe corsa, i was a right wuss in it, 150bhp in something that weighs 1200kg is a fair power to weight ratio and it takes some getting used to, especially when the car wasnt built for an engine that weighs twice as much as the one we took out, the thing with the supra you drove is, everythings how the manufacturer intended it to be, modified cars dont work like that!
i had a play with a clio 182 last week and got a serious telling off from my other half (which is a shock in itself from his history lol) when i was doing silly speeds (i wont repeat what) and braking in too short of a distance, cars like that are built to take it, everythings modern and new and able to take the strain whereas stuff we play with is 20 years old plus, old and tired and liable to breaking under heavy pressure.
if you know you've got the power under your bonnet, all it takes is some silly little boy or an arrogant old man to pee you off and before you know it, you're racing!

joebickerton
17-01-11, 09:36 PM
i kinda have to disagree, its different driving something like that on a one off to actually owning it and driving it everyday, very very different, the more you get used to a car, the more you gradually push your limits, when i first drove my xe corsa, i was a right wuss in it, 150bhp in something that weighs 1200kg is a fair power to weight ratio and it takes some getting used to, especially when the car wasnt built for an engine that weighs twice as much as the one we took out, the thing with the supra you drove is, everythings how the manufacturer intended it to be, modified cars dont work like that!
i had a play with a clio 182 last week and got a serious telling off from my other half (which is a shock in itself from his history lol) when i was doing silly speeds (i wont repeat what) and braking in too short of a distance, cars like that are built to take it, everythings modern and new and able to take the strain whereas stuff we play with is 20 years old plus, old and tired and liable to breaking under heavy pressure.
if you know you've got the power under your bonnet, all it takes is some silly little boy or an arrogant old man to pee you off and before you know it, you're racing!

fair comment buddy :D

joebickerton
18-01-11, 02:02 AM

as i said buddy how much we talking for it all i.e engine box loom ecu mounts and driveshafts and how long does it take to fit them sorry for all the questions:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

maddogdaz666
18-01-11, 02:43 AM
ive seen a few full conversions selling at around £500 ish, with engine box, shafts and mounts, the last few ive done cost around £1100 thats including my labour and new cambelt kit and full service on the engine, new oil for the geabox, and bigger brakes from the scrapyard.

joebickerton
18-01-11, 02:47 AM
ive seen a few full conversions selling at around £500 ish, with engine box, shafts and mounts, the last few ive done cost around £1100 thats including my labour and new cambelt kit and full service on the engine, new oil for the geabox, and bigger brakes from the scrapyard.

im saving already mate lol :D