PDA

View Full Version : ROT AND RUST

portadownfc
09-06-03, 01:01 AM
i have a big problem. the boot floor of my november 91 nova has rotted through.

also the towing hook at the rear has come off from the chassis leg due to the hole.

if anyone can tell me what may be required to fix the prob and if it is worth doing.

cheers
John Thornton

Ste_Nova
09-06-03, 09:31 AM
floor can be welded up with sheet metal... but if tow is rotten then rear chassie prob is

Dicko
09-06-03, 10:19 AM
iv just welded a hole up the corner of my boot floor and was pretty easy except in shitty place to get at, but as ste says if its the chassis, then u is fooked :S

i had a prob with my sr a few years back, it had rotted where the rear spring sits and was leaning to 1 side :s cost ?250 to get it welded then car was scraped year after due to more rust

krobinson
09-06-03, 05:17 PM
Mate, best to search for a cleaner shell.. And if you find one, then waxoil the chassie and floor & all box sections, then rot wont become a problem as soon as before!

Keith

Dave
09-06-03, 05:35 PM
when i brought my very cheap sr was like that had to weld up a big hole in boot to make it sound. it somehow had got 10 months mot on it so must have passed through with holes in it, will sell it as a cheap run around for someone as i know it is structually sound after the welding an still has mot left on it.
easiest thing is to re-shell it if the engine is good if not get rid an start again