PDA

View Full Version : RED! lol any helpfull hints?

Grey
14-01-11, 10:03 PM
i forgot what it was like to own a flame red vauxhall and i have another one lol when you polish it or wax it you get the paint showing on the pad ...... anyway got any tips anyone...

I have the clay kit but havent tried it yet and also was planning to get the merguiars 3 step cleaning kit! :confused:

Its been well looked after and has not faded! its good for a mk4 astra which is 13 years old!

But want to keep ontop of it!

Help or advice would be great, rep for anyone who does :thumb:

Bubba
14-01-11, 10:05 PM
i use super resin and red tcut...bit of a 70/30 mix if its really faded...otherwise super resin does the job

comptoncj
14-01-11, 10:18 PM
Flame pink + G3 + Auto Glym super resin = Flame red :)

vauxluva
14-01-11, 10:34 PM
Why does it fade so bad? my old nova was really bad?

fastcar1cars
15-01-11, 12:02 AM
red has a really weak pigment in it! Yellows are similar!

Grey
16-01-11, 12:53 AM
Thankyou will give it a crack tomorrow! see what happens will just have to keep on top of it! its genrally very clean and not faded!:thumb:

Grey
17-01-11, 10:37 AM
Well i calyed it yesterday and also put super resin on the bumbers has come up really well. I have one question ..........

When you go to wipe off polish etc do you ever find it leaves a darker patch or discolouring to paint?

Spudly
17-01-11, 02:37 PM
If your paint has not faded then DO NOT use G3, this is only for cutting back the faded top layer and restoring the colour/shine.

And if your paint has gone dark or discoloured this sounds like your polish has too much of a cut in it and has cut back the area youve applied it on.

burgo
18-01-11, 09:21 PM
for a start t-cut = crap, i can guarantee you will not find it in a single bodyshop in the country.

clay is simperly used to remove any stubborn dirt that washing didnt remove, so this wont improve the shine at all if that is what you were hoping.

if it genuinely isnt faded then you will want a "glaze" type polish to get the paint as good as it can be then the key is wax

fastcar1cars
18-01-11, 10:13 PM
jus give ur car a mop! Be mint for a while!

Grey
18-01-11, 11:27 PM
meh never used a mop and wouldnt want to.... so super resin it is then spud, burgo???

I do have meg tech wax also? :confused:

Spudly
19-01-11, 05:56 PM
meh never used a mop and wouldnt want to

If youve never used one, nor been shown how then please for god sake dont attempt it, you will burn your paint through to the undercoat and fook it up royally!

If you know anyone who is a valeter near you then maybe bung them some beer tokens (be warned even mates rates youre going to be looking at least £50 notes) to mop your car for you and or show you how.

Then a good sealing polish and a decent wax should help to keep it looking fresh for a while, but you will need to wash and polish/wax it regularly though, once flame red has started to become lame pink, its like rot, you can prolong it but only new metal (in this case paint) will fix it:(

Grey
19-01-11, 06:43 PM
Thanks mate i would rep but i have to spread the love lol

Benn
19-01-11, 07:44 PM
Super resign is ok, but there are alot better. You need to make sure you wax it fully after using SRP as it has a low wax content.
As said T-cut is crap.

You can bring red back to life very easily, machine polishes are perfect for the job, 3M make very good stuff, that does have wax in it.

Connor
20-01-11, 02:43 PM
If youve never used one, nor been shown how then please for god sake dont attempt it, you will burn your paint through to the undercoat and fook it up royally!

Yep i did exactly that lol, but after realising the car was being repainted i got to practice on the rest of the car lol, still find it hard to do.
I just practice on scrap cars or old dogs my mates that have as run abouts when i can

Benn
20-01-11, 06:26 PM
Getting used to working with a mop/buffer takes time and practice. Unless you work in a bodyshop when you get on with it and get it done..lol

Bubba
20-01-11, 11:32 PM
for a start t-cut = crap, i can guarantee you will not find it in a single bodyshop in the country.

colour t-cut helps red alot.

therealnovaboy
21-01-11, 05:20 PM
You can bring red back to life very easily, machine polishes are perfect for the job, 3M make very good stuff, that does have wax in it.

I second that, 3m polish with a rotary, followed by megs glaze and top with a decent wax .Ive seen collinite (915??) on flat colours and it makes them look wet as mince.

The red in your pad is supposed to happen, just watch you dont see the primer or its time for another layer of colour.

this just shows you what you can do. pretty good read.
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=60574

burgo
21-01-11, 10:09 PM
colour t-cut helps red alot.for a couple of weeks, then its faded again.